Happy Trails, Mr. Known Unknown

R.I.P. Donald Rumsfeld, who added to our lexicon during the original Iraq war. I make no political comment, but I think his passing is worth noting, since his phrasing was so...memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    R.I.P. Donald Rumsfeld, who added to our lexicon during the original Iraq war. I make no political comment, but I think his passing is worth noting, since his phrasing was so...memorable.
    well stated...I still don't know what I don't know...how could I? But tomorrow I'm going to the dump with the car I have, not the car I'd like to have. This I DO know.

While I may not have shared his politics, I always felt he was unfairly pilloried for his phrasing. His real fault was not anticipating how his taxonomy would play in the media or among common folks. It made sense, but you had to think about it a bit.

I once got hoodwinked into attending an EST* seminar (dear me), and known unknowns were prominently mentioned...I subsequently read speculation about whether Rummy had dabbled in the EST arts (Werner Erhard).

* tedious stuff, but I got some swell dates out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I once got hoodwinked into attending an EST* seminar (dear me), and known unknowns were prominently mentioned...I subsequently read speculation about whether Rummy had dabbled in the EST arts (Werner Erhard).

* tedious stuff, but I got some swell dates out of it.
    Didn't Dewey Oxberger (John Candy) of Stripes fame dabble in EST?

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While I may not have shared his politics, I always felt he was unfairly pilloried for his phrasing. His real fault was not anticipating how his taxonomy would play in the media or among common folks. It made sense, but you had to think about it a bit.
    Some years ago I read Pieces of Intelligence : The Existential Poetry of Donald H.Rumsfeld.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Intell...6&unfiltered=1

It is a collection of his actual quotes that are mind numbingly obtuse. I found that with the appropriate application of bourbon the passages alternated between unintentionally hilarious to deeply profound. This, of course, was a considerable mystery to me.

Section 15

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Some years ago I read Pieces of Intelligence : The Existential Poetry of Donald H.Rumsfeld.

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Intell...6&unfiltered=1

It is a collection of his actual quotes that are mind numbingly obtuse. I found that with the appropriate application of bourbon the passages alternated between unintentionally hilarious to deeply profound. This, of course, was a considerable mystery to me.

Section 15
    Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

(Were Jack Handy and Donald Rumsfeld ever in the same room?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handy

(Were Jack Handy and Donald Rumsfeld ever in the same room?)
    No. They were roommates in college.