Page 13 of 82 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    According to Andrew Slater, Duke has extended an offer to JJ Starling, a 6'4" PG from Indiana's La Lumiere Academy. Like former La Lumiere standout Isaiah Stewart, Starling hails from upstate New York, just outside of Syracuse. Starling joins Derrick Lively and Dariq Whitehead as offers from the Class of 2022. Expect that list to grow as other recruits, including Kyle Filipowski and Mark Mitchell, visit Duke later in June.
    These offers seem to suggest that Coach Scheyer believes Roach will continue to be the primary ball handler of the team into 2022-23. Starling doesn't appear to be a OAD threat who would challenge for the starting PG spot, and we currently do no have another offer to a point guard type of guard until 2023 with LeBron Jr.

Jeremy's freshman year was inconsistent, but he will improve. It could be nice to have an upperclassman running the show. But I hope to see some more guard offers. We really need another Redick/Kennard/Allen/Andre Dawkins type of shooter who can reliably stretch the floor. It has been frustrating to watch the team struggle to shoot from deep in recent years.
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-21-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    These offers seem to suggest that Coach Scheyer believes Roach will continue to be the primary ball handler of the team into 2022-23. Starling doesn't appear to be a OAD threat who would challenge for the starting PG spot, and we currently do no have another offer to a point guard type of guard until 2023 with LeBron Jr.

Jeremy's freshman year was inconsistent, but he will improve. It could be nice to have an upperclassman running the show. But I hope to see some more guard offers. We really need another Redick/Kennard/Allen/Andre Dawkins type of shooter who can reliably stretch the floor. It has been frustrating to watch the team struggle to shoot from deep in recent years.
    Yeah, the offers appear to be favoring versatile guards that may be able to play either guard position. Who knows how things play out, maybe Roach has a blowup and becomes an NBA prospect in '22. I think they could pivot to a top PG recruit or transfer option. Otherwise, I think we can pencil in Roach into the roster picture for 2022-23 for now.

Can we start to deduce a "roster strategy" for our new coach based on the offers?

To clarify what I mean (which may cause much disagreement on this page) ...Coach K always wanted versatile "big men" (3s and 4s...I know position less players) who were more slashers and long.

In the 2022 and 2023 threads I see a lot of comments about versatile guards and forwards (2s and 3s) who can shoot. Does this suggest a 3 guard offense?

I am probably way off but I am trying to think about Duke's style under Coach S rather than just the list of who is being recruited.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Can we start to deduce a "roster strategy" for our new coach based on the offers?

To clarify what I mean (which may cause much disagreement on this page) ...Coach K always wanted versatile "big men" (3s and 4s...I know position less players) who were more slashers and long.

In the 2022 and 2023 threads I see a lot of comments about versatile guards and forwards (2s and 3s) who can shoot. Does this suggest a 3 guard offense?

I am probably way off but I am trying to think about Duke's style under Coach S rather than just the list of who is being recruited.
    Versatile guards -- in the mold of Jon Scheyer?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Versatile guards -- in the mold of Jon Scheyer?
    Will they be alarmingly unathletic? I guess it's okay, as long as Duke wins.

New Offer Alert: Anthony Black

According to his twitter account, 2022 G Anthony Black is the latest player to receive an offer from the Duke coaching staff. Black is a 6'7" G and dual-sport is a to prospect in both football (WR) and basketball (combo PG). Black's father played 2 seasons for Baylor on the basketball court. Recent reports suggest the younger Black is focused exclusively on basketball these days.

New Offer Alert: Mark Mitchell

This one is no shock. Mitchell is scheduled to visit Duke's campus next weekend. The uber-athletic forward from Kansas recently visited UCLA.

https://twitter.com/Mark_mitchell25/...51472366784520

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Will they be alarmingly unathletic? I guess it's okay, as long as Duke wins.
    Just want some dead eye shooters. Give me a Seth or Steph or JJ. That will win you a bunch of games in college.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Just want some dead eye shooters. Give me a Seth or Steph or JJ. That will win you a bunch of games in college.
    Except those three players combined to play in eleven college seasons but only one Final Four game and no championships. My understanding from most posters around here is those accomplishments are the only ones that matter?

Ackkshually… I count 2004 as a title. We were robbed in the semis.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    Ackkshually… I count 2004 as a title. We were robbed in the semis.
    Should the team get a trophy for just showing up?

Former Syracuse commit Dior Johnson commits to Oregon.
    https://www.espn.com/recruiting/bask...commits-oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    I’m referring to the fact that the refs fouled out all of our big men on ridiculous phantom fouls. Guarding Emeka Okafor was apparently against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Except those three players combined to play in eleven college seasons but only one Final Four game and no championships. My understanding from most posters around here is those accomplishments are the only ones that matter?
    You are always so reality based...

Having said that, and realizing there is a lot of local emphasis on final fours, JJ is certainly on the all WOW Duke team, and WOW makes up for the occasional loss in March. I’m tired and don’t have the energy to really think through which players might be both WOW and without a title, but a “Failure” team with JJ, Johnny Dawkins, Kyrie, Zion, Elton Brand, Gene Banks, Corey Maggette, Shelden... wouldn’t lose a lot of games.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Having said that, and realizing there is a lot of local emphasis on final fours, JJ is certainly on the all WOW Duke team, and WOW makes up for the occasional loss in March. I’m tired and don’t have the energy to really think through which players might be both WOW and without a title, but a “Failure” team with JJ, Johnny Dawkins, Kyrie, Zion, Elton Brand, Gene Banks, Corey Maggette, Shelden... wouldn’t lose a lot of games.
    How about The Aircraft Carrier, Giminski, in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I mean, the last 3 national champions combined to have something like 9 major contributors who shot over 40% from 3. I'll take the shooting (not that I think you disagree with that particular premise)

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

Add everyone who played for Bubas or Foster or anyone before K, Dick Groat, Art Heyman, Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, Bob Verga, Mike Lewis, Jim Spanarkel, Mike Gminski, none of these guys won a national title.

UNC got a commitment from a 6-3 point guard from Wisconsin Seth Trimble. Currently ranked 56 but moving up the rankings.

https://247sports.com/college/north-...els-166690315/

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Add everyone who played for Bubas or Foster or anyone before K, Dick Groat, Art Heyman, Jeff Mullins, Jack Marin, Bob Verga, Mike Lewis, Jim Spanarkel, Mike Gminski, none of these guys won a national title.
    Tate Armstrong First Team All ACC and Gold Medal Olympian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Well, maybe not. But Duke did more than just show up; they outplayed UConn in the Final Four. However, the refs, though they made numerous horrendous calls against both teams, made twice as many against the Blue Devils.

As to the championship game, I’m confident Duke would have comfortably handled Georgia Tech, much like UConn did.