Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Summer Lax News and Notes 2021

VaTech appears to have made an outstanding head coaching hire: former Duke All-American and current Army head coach Kristen (Waagbo) Skiera.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    VaTech appears to have made an outstanding head coaching hire: former Duke All-American and current Army head coach Kristen (Waagbo) Skiera.
    Is VPI in a position to add men’s lacrosse to their Athletic Department? They seem to have a interest in building a successful women’s program ( like BC). Speaking of BC, it has always puzzled me that the Eagles do not have a D-1 men’s program. Is Title IX the primary hurdle for both schools?

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Is VPI in a position to add men’s lacrosse to their Athletic Department? They seem to have a interest in building a successful women’s program ( like BC). Speaking of BC, it has always puzzled me that the Eagles do not have a D-1 men’s program. Is Title IX the primary hurdle for both schools?
    These questions get asked so much that I'm confident of the answers. 1. Not easily. 2. Like NCSU, BC disbanded its program. I don't see either bringing it back.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    These questions get asked so much that I'm confident of the answers. 1. Not easily. 2. Like NCSU, BC disbanded its program. I don't see either bringing it back.

Well, I am nothing if not unoriginal!

Well, I am nothing if not unoriginal!
    I think that's been said before.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I think that's been said before.
    Well played.

Duke scores another transfer-portal coup: Penn attackman Sean Lulley will be a grad transfer for 2022. You will recall he scored six goals against Duke in 2020.

Syracuse fires John Desko, and replaces him with Gary Gait—arguably the Michael Jordan of lacrosse.

They follow this up by hiring Dave Pietramala, former Johns Hopkins head coach and nemesis of the mid-2000s Duke national runners-up, as the defensive coordinator.

Quite the coaching staff the Orange have put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Syracuse fires John Desko, and replaces him with Gary Gait—arguably the Michael Jordan of lacrosse.

They follow this up by hiring Dave Pietramala, former Johns Hopkins head coach and nemesis of the mid-2000s Duke national runners-up, as the defensive coordinator.

Quite the coaching staff the Orange have put together.
    Based on our post-Final 4 performances, I'm not going to complain. I think we just scored again.

I believe that Title IX makes it very difficult for a school to add a men’s lacrosse program without either cutting another large men’s program or adding a couple women’s teams. A men’s lacrosse team can have 45-50 players and (I believe) 12.5 scholarships. Schools need to offer similar numbers of slots and scholarships to women. There are not that many women’s teams that can bring in those numbers.

There are many schools that have women’s lax but not men’s lax….I think women’s lax gives schools a head start on offsetting the numbers on a football team.

Certainly some schools have added men’s lax in the last couple decades, but it seems like they may be larger state schools that can also field more women’s teams. Someone correct me if I have mis-stated this.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Duke scores another transfer-portal coup: Penn attackman Sean Lulley will be a grad transfer for 2022. You will recall he scored six goals against Duke in 2020.
    marvelous...large kid, 6-2, 195, we'll have some brawn on attack next year with him, O'Neill and Williams...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    marvelous...large kid, 6-2, 195, we'll have some brawn on attack next year with him, O'Neill and Williams...
    How did he do at Penn?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    How did he do at Penn?
    Seems like a very talented player but unclear whether he will be able to break through and be a starting attackman for us. Though he did score six goals vs. Duke in 2020.

CAREER STATISTICS
    2018: 15 played/10 started, 6 goals, 6 assists, 12 points, 19 shots, 1 GB, 0 CT
    2019: 16 played/15 started, 29 goals, 17 assists, 36 points, 63 shots, 15 GB, 5 CT
    2020: 5 played/5 started, 14 goals, 16 assists, 30 points, 32 shots, 11 GB, 3 CT
    2021: 1 played/1 started, 0 goals, 4 assists, 4 points, 7 shots, 2 GB, 0 CT
    CAREER: 37 played/31 started, 39 goals, 43 assists, 82 points, 119 shots, 29 GB, 8 CT

https://pennathletics.com/sports/men...n-lulley/18450

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Seems like a very talented player but unclear whether he will be able to break through and be a starting attackman for us. Though he did score six goals vs. Duke in 2020.

CAREER STATISTICS
    2018: 15 played/10 started, 6 goals, 6 assists, 12 points, 19 shots, 1 GB, 0 CT
    2019: 16 played/15 started, 29 goals, 17 assists, 36 points, 63 shots, 15 GB, 5 CT
    2020: 5 played/5 started, 14 goals, 16 assists, 30 points, 32 shots, 11 GB, 3 CT
    2021: 1 played/1 started, 0 goals, 4 assists, 4 points, 7 shots, 2 GB, 0 CT
    CAREER: 37 played/31 started, 39 goals, 43 assists, 82 points, 119 shots, 29 GB, 8 CT

https://pennathletics.com/sports/men...n-lulley/18450
    he was their leading scorer in the 2020 truncated season, and they played a top notch schedule, beating Duke, narrowly losing to Merlin, also played highly ranked PSU...I'm confident he's a keeper..

Thanks guys. Welcome to Duke Sean.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

he was their leading scorer in the 2020 truncated season, and they played a top notch schedule, beating Duke, narrowly losing to Merlin, also played highly ranked PSU...I'm confident he's a keeper..
    Wow, impressive he scored so much as a goalie!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Wow, impressive he scored so much as a goalie!
    speaking of which, I think we may well need one of those as well with Adler presumably moving on.

speaking of which, I think we may well need one of those as well with Adler presumably moving on.
    I'll have to double-check, but I think we may have a really good one coming in next year (or was he a freshman this past year?). I'll look on Inside Lacrosse.

Edit: Ok, must have been high. We didn't sign a goalie from the 2021 class. We did sign a 2020 goalie (Evan Barr) but he doesn't appear to be very highly ranked. Not that he may not end up being really good but expectations probably shouldn't be too high. We also return two juniors (Garrett Smith and Andrew Bonafede) but I don't know much about either except that Bonafede was ranked 42 in the class of 2018 and was a 4* so presumably he is pretty good.
    Last edited by yancem; 06-16-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I'll have to double-check, but I think we may have a really good one coming in next year (or was he a freshman this past year?). I'll look on Inside Lacrosse.

Edit: Ok, must have been high. We didn't sign a goalie from the 2021 class. We did sign a 2020 goalie (Evan Barr) but he doesn't appear to be very highly ranked. Not that he may not end up being really good but expectations probably shouldn't be too high. We also return two juniors (Garrett Smith and Andrew Bonafede) but I don't know much about either except that Bonafede was ranked 42 in the class of 2018 and was a 4* so presumably he is pretty good.
    Adler was Duke’s first All-American in goal since 2005. We’ve won national championships and made Final Fours with some pretty non-legendary guys between the pipes.

Duke has an odd tradition of recruiting younger brothers of more illustrious older siblings to play goal. Kyle Turri, Danny Fowler, and Garrett Smith are the obvious examples. Luke Aaron’s older brother Sean was D3 goalie of the year at Union. John Uppgren led Tufts to two D3 championships and was D3 POY; he’s an assistant coach for the Jumbos. Ella Bonafede had a nice career for the Duke women.

ICYMI, Gary Gait has brought in Dave Pietramala as defensive coordinator. Wonder if they’ll go at it in the master’s division at the Lake Placid tournament.

ETA: don’t buy the hype about Petro being the best defenseman ever. I’m old enough to have see Bruce Arena play, and he was better.