Page 47 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast
    What should we watch tonight? Any good new thing out?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Tales From The Loop on Amazon.

You ok with subtitles and have Amazon prime? Its not new but the Israeli version of the Beauty and the Baker is better than the title suggests. Several great characters that get you invested, well written and well acted.

Underground Railroad

I might be late on mentioning this as it's been out a few weeks, but watched the first episode of Underground Railroad on Amazon Prime last night. I read the book, and of course TV can't compare to the fantastic book, but this was pretty darn good. The scenes of brutality and murder of slaves are very tough to watch, but you must. There is much more here though, of course. The humanity as well as the inhumanity. I look forward to episode 2.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Tales From The Loop on Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    You ok with subtitles and have Amazon prime? Its not new but the Israeli version of the Beauty and the Baker is better than the title suggests. Several great characters that get you invested, well written and well acted.
    Thanks for the recommendations, will have to check both out!

We ended up watching a doc called Class Divide about a very wealthy global school situated across the street from projects in Manhattan. It was pretty good, a very specific block-long look at gentrification.

Thanks for the recommendations, will have to check both out!

We ended up watching a doc called Class Divide about a very wealthy global school situated across the street from projects in Manhattan. It was pretty good, a very specific block-long look at gentrification.
    I was not aware of that documentary about Avenues but will have to check it out. I live further uptown but my kids have a few friends who go to Avenues (we will be seeing one in the morning). New York private schools tend to pride themselves on having been around forever. This school was built from scratch very recently with an almost unlimited budget, and is in a different part of town than any other private school. The neighborhood has rapidly gentrified and those projects are increasingly an outlier.

Fun piece of trivia is that the basketball coach at Avenues was (not sure if it still is) the one and only Thomas Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was not aware of that documentary about Avenues but will have to check it out. I live further uptown but my kids have a few friends who go to Avenues (we will be seeing one in the morning). New York private schools tend to pride themselves on having been around forever. This school was built from scratch very recently with an almost unlimited budget, and is in a different part of town than any other private school. The neighborhood has rapidly gentrified and those projects are increasingly an outlier.

Fun piece of trivia is that the basketball coach at Avenues was (not sure if it still is) the one and only Thomas Hill.
    Cool. The basketball scenes of the playground versus the Avenues gym were striking but don’t recall TH.

It was well done with lots of interviews with children reflecting on socioeconomic inequality. There was also one very sad event that happened during the documentary filming that became part of the end product. Would probably advise parents with teens with mental health conditions to proceed with caution.

Also some very interesting history of the high line and how it’s driven a lot of the real estate inflation in that neighborhood.

Cool. The basketball scenes of the playground versus the Avenues gym were striking but don’t recall TH.

It was well done with lots of interviews with children reflecting on socioeconomic inequality. There was also one very sad event that happened during the documentary filming that became part of the end product. Would probably advise parents with teens with mental health conditions to proceed with caution.

Also some very interesting history of the high line and how it’s driven a lot of the real estate inflation in that neighborhood.
    I get the sense that Avenues is more "nouveau riche" and in your face about its wealth. For example, Trinity is one of the top private schools in NY that has been around forever is also across the street from projects, but it has been that way for a long time (Trinity has been in its current location since the 1800s) and they are less showy about it. This morning I saw my friends whose daughter goes to Avenues who chose it because they have family in that general neighborhood and they had just moved back from Asia so wanted a school with intense Chinese for their daughter to continue that skill, and that is one of the major areas of emphasis for Avenues.

The area was gentrifying before the high line but the high line has likely accelerated it. I haven't been in a while but actually might be going tomorrow. I am the rare New Yorker who really doesn't get excited by the High Line. The concept of it (repurposing an old elevated rail line into an urban park) is very smart, but once I am there, especially when it is crowded, it just really isn't that exciting to me. Chelsea Market and the Google NY offices have also really helped the neighborhood. For those who aren't familiar, this is the area just south of MSG.

Just saw Quiet Place 2 in the theatre. If you liked the first one you’ll like the 2nd. Really good.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Just saw Quiet Place 2 in the theatre. If you liked the first one you’ll like the 2nd. Really good.
    In the "theater?" What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    In the "theater?" What's that?
    First movie out since the pandemic. Reserved seats, socially distanced. Nice to see a movie on the big screen.

Anyone watching/watched Netflix - Sweet Tooth? Not familiar with the comics. Great RT rating.

Saw Quiet Place 2 at a real theatre. Nice to be out but movie was just ok. My expectations were probably too high since it has been hyped as “better than the first one.” I liked the original more because it was ... original. Really, the whole conceit was the opposite of where most movies are going - using more and more decibles as a lazy way to make movies “dramatic.”

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Saw Quiet Place 2 at a real theatre. Nice to be out but movie was just ok. My expectations were probably too high since it has been hyped as “better than the first one.” I liked the original more because it was ... original. Really, the whole conceit was the opposite of where most movies are going - using more and more decibles as a lazy way to make movies “dramatic.”
    Pro Tip - nearly nothing is "better than the first one." Even the classic examples (Godfather, Empire, T2, Aliens) are iffy at best to me.

Especially Aliens. Alien is almost a perfect film. Aliens is a cool action flick. Extremely different tone. "Better?" Not even close in my book.

Loki

Here is my 100-word review of the Disney+ TV series Loki: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...disney-tv.html

A delightful combination of cop drama and wry comedy, Loki will go alongside Wandavision as a buzzable Disney+ hit for Marvel.
    loki-disney-plus-1.jpg

-Jason "I have only seen the first 2 episodes... but so far, so good!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Pro Tip - nearly nothing is "better than the first one." Even the classic examples (Godfather, Empire, T2, Aliens) are iffy at best to me.

Especially Aliens. Alien is almost a perfect film. Aliens is a cool action flick. Extremely different tone. "Better?" Not even close in my book.
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Most people would also include The Dark Knight and The Wrath of Khan.

Nearly nothing may be correct. But there are a few...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Most people would also include The Dark Knight and The Wrath of Khan.

Nearly nothing may be correct. But there are a few...
    Agreed on those. But my point stands - it's extremely rare, and I disagree with about half of the usual examples.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Here is my 100-word review of the Disney+ TV series Loki: https://flixchat.blogspot.com/2021/0...disney-tv.html

loki-disney-plus-1.jpg

-Jason "I have only seen the first 2 episodes... but so far, so good!" Evans
    Loki is definitely one of the more interesting characters in the Marvel universe. I'll be interested to see how it pans out.

Agreed on those. But my point stands - it's extremely rare, and I disagree with about half of the usual examples.
    I’d argue in favor of ‘The Empire Strikes Back’ for inclusion on that list as well.

Started Sweet Tooth on Netflix. Quite promising.