Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luxembourg

Luxembourg

Any recommendations on places to stay on Luxembourg? Thinking about a trip to see Verdun and Bastogne and Waterloo, and Luxembourg seems like a good place to set up base camp.

OHMYGOD!!!!!! We want to do that so bad. That is my dream trip. Excited to see answers to this.

Luxembourg is not Lichtenstein small, but it’s not very big.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I was there at the beginning and end of my backpacking across Europe trip in 1984, but don't remember much about it.

The Benelux countries remind me of a vacuum cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Not many places are Lichtenstein small.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not many places are Lichtenstein small.
    I circumnavigated the borders of The Holy See (Vatican) while drinking a coffee and eating a pastry.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I circumnavigated the borders of The Holy See (Vatican) while drinking a coffee and eating a pastry.
    I don't mean to get braggy on here, but I DID grow up near Dobson, NC. You guys were getting a bit uppity and I needed to shut that down. Sorry to flex on you guys, but it had to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I don't mean to get braggy on here, but I DID grow up near Dobson, NC. You guys were getting a bit uppity and I needed to shut that down. Sorry to flex on you guys, but it had to be done.
    Does “near” Dobson mean you are from the greater metro Dobson area, but not from within the actual borders of the municipality itself?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does “near” Dobson mean you are from the greater metro Dobson area, but not from within the actual borders of the municipality itself?
    Lesser Dobson.

Verdun is breathtaking in its efforts to build a fortress for men to get shot at. Has a middle-ages feel, but for bullets and bombs.

I can tell you that the champagne region is gorgeous and stop at every small maker you pass along the way (there are a lot). And lots of small hotels.

I have been to Reims and Epernay, Colmar and Mulhouse. Nothing to boast about the first two except I don't remember large swaths of the journey. The last two are the most German towns you'll ever visit, even if they are in France. Great dry Riesling.

This area may be considered Lower Luxembourg for this threads purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Verdun is breathtaking in its efforts to build a fortress for men to get shot at. Has a middle-ages feel, but for bullets and bombs.

I can tell you that the champagne region is gorgeous and stop at every small maker you pass along the way (there are a lot). And lots of small hotels.

I have been to Reims and Epernay, Colmar and Mulhouse. Nothing to boast about the first two except I don't remember large swaths of the journey. The last two are the most German towns you'll ever visit, even if they are in France. Great dry Riesling.

If you were fishing for a spork then buddy you got one.

It wouldn't let me spork you for some reason. But you deserve one for that. Take some blue fingernail polish and paint one on your phone or computer screen from me please.
    Last edited by ClemmonsDevil; 06-08-2021 at 09:40 AM. Reason: The unfairness of it all

Spork given, that’s exactly the kind of info I need to help evaluate options!

There are three wine towns in Alsace. The least interesting, only because it is much more of a city, is Colmar. The other two, Riquewehr and Ribeauville (accent aigu on last e), seem to be non-stop party towns, with lots of Germans coming over to add to the merriment.

The contrast is striking with the august and truly sedate Burgundy villages not far away -- Meursault, Chassagne-Montrachet, Nuits-St.-Georges, Chambolle-Musigny, Gevrey-Chambertin. These last are sleepy places with a restaurant or two and a wine store. But Alsace rocks!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    There are three wine towns in Alsace. The least interesting, only because it is much more of a city, is Colmar. The other two, Riquewehr and Ribeauville (accent aigu on last e), seem to be non-stop party towns, with lots of Germans coming over to add to the merriment.

The contrast is striking with the august and truly sedate Burgundy villages not far away -- Meursault, Chassagne-Montrachet, Nuits-St.-Georges, Chambolle-Musigny, Gevrey-Chambertin. These last are sleepy places with a restaurant or two and a wine store. But Alsace rocks!
    Merci!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Agree wholeheartedly on the creepy Germans traveling over the border to grab great dry Riesling/Gewurz (they should leave more for export to the US). It is a party, and the roads can get packed when the makers are releasing vintages. Except for the traffic on the country roads, it is fun.

Burgundy is definitely more sedate. I wouldn't miss the Vosges in between the two. And the Jura if you choose to go more south. This is a great region if you want quiet French hospitality (it does exist once you leave Paris). They make interesting wines in the Jura, what I have had is more sweet/straw.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    From inner Dobson, go south on 1100, and you’ll be heading towards Shelton Vineyard. Head southeast from that vineyard, and you’ll soon be at Stony Knoll Vineyard. If you sample too much, the next two vineyards are aptly named: Haze Gray Vineyard and Hidden Vineyard. Longest trip to any of these vineyards: 14 minutes. Closest would be to Herrera Vineyard, up north, which is 5 minutes from downtown.

You want blood rather than wine?
    Try a few Civil War sites in Surry County: York Tavern in Rockford, a spot in downtown Elkin, and the Battle of Siloam site along the Yadkin River.

Sure, Europe has its appeal, but none of their towns allow you to drive a few minutes to Mt. Airy, hometown of our own Kevin Strickland ‘88.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    From inner Dobson, go south on 1100, and you’ll be heading towards Shelton Vineyard. Head southeast from that vineyard, and you’ll soon be at Stony Knoll Vineyard. If you sample too much, the next two vineyards are aptly named: Haze Gray Vineyard and Hidden Vineyard. Longest trip to any of these vineyards: 14 minutes. Closest would be to Herrera Vineyard, up north, which is 5 minutes from downtown.

You want blood rather than wine?
    Try a few Civil War sites in Surry County: York Tavern in Rockford, a spot in downtown Elkin, and the Battle of Siloam site along the Yadkin River.

Sure, Europe has its appeal, but none of their towns allow you to drive a few minutes to Mt. Airy, hometown of our own Kevin Strickland ‘88.
    Go Hounds!

Agree wholeheartedly on the creepy Germans traveling over the border to grab great dry Riesling/Gewurz (they should leave more for export to the US). It is a party, and the roads can get packed when the makers are releasing vintages. Except for the traffic on the country roads, it is fun.

Burgundy is definitely more sedate. I wouldn't miss the Vosges in between the two. And the Jura if you choose to go more south. This is a great region if you want quiet French hospitality (it does exist once you leave Paris). They make interesting wines in the Jura, what I have had is more sweet/straw.
    Thanks! Must spread sporks ….

Okay, starting to focus on Metz. Anyone been to the region?

Also, any Mosel Valley vineyard recommendations (likely the German stretch)?