Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The only time I met Coach K was the one summer we got to send my son to basketball camp at Duke. At the opening and closing of camp back then (1999-2000?) Coach K setup behind a table on the sidelines of Cameron. Very unassuming. I had no idea he’d be there like that at the opening, and signing. I was prepared at the closing and brought the Cameron floorboard that you could purchase thru the bookstore. I showed up with my sharpie, and he signed it the full Coach Krzyzewski, I took it and a sharpie, but he stopped me and asked for his pen back. My only meeting with K and I tried to steal his pen.

I've never met him, but I'll share this.

When my youngest kid was in 4th or 5th grade, for some reason the teacher gave the kids an assignment to write letters to three people they admire. My son, being my son, chose JJ Redick and Coach K as two of his three. I explained to him that if he chose people like that who are very popular, well known, and busy, he should not expect to get anything back from anybody.

A couple of weeks went by, and then there was a piece of mail for him. It was from Coach K (or Duke, for all I know). Anyway, inside there was a signed 8.5 by 11 photo. I don't really know whether Coach K saw the letter and signed the picture or whether they just have a bunch of signed pics on hand for kids that write to them, but I was still impressed, as was my son. He hung the photo on the wall of his room.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I've never met him, but I'll share this.

When my youngest kid was in 4th or 5th grade, for some reason the teacher gave the kids an assignment to write letters to three people they admire. My son, being my son, chose JJ Redick and Coach K as two of his three. I explained to him that if he chose people like that who are very popular, well known, and busy, he should not expect to get anything back from anybody.

A couple of weeks went by, and then there was a piece of mail for him. It was from Coach K (or Duke, for all I know). Anyway, inside there was a signed 8.5 by 11 photo. I don't really know whether Coach K saw the letter and signed the picture or whether they just have a bunch of signed pics on hand for kids that write to them, but I was still impressed, as was my son. He hung the photo on the wall of his room.

I’d bet dollars to doughnuts Coach saw your son’s letter, and responded personally. Here’s my favorite memory:

Dukie’s Son-In-Law used to get a kick out of surprising me with special valentines. (for example: renting a limo… we re-watched the vcr tape of the 1991 championship game while cruising around town), and hiring a Barbershop Quartet to serenade me at school… but I believe the best was when he sent Coach K a letter explaining my life-long fan hood, and enclosing a very generic valentine. Coach returned the valentine, signed with a short personal note. Hubby took great glee in teasing me that I was ( probably) getting a unique gift that only maybe five ladies in the world were getting! I could not have been more blown away!! ( and I still have it!)

Quote Originally Posted by dukie’s_daughter View Post
    I’d bet dollars to doughnuts Coach saw your son’s letter, and responded personally. Here’s my favorite memory:

Dukie’s Son-In-Law used to get a kick out of surprising me with special valentines. (for example: renting a limo… we re-watched the vcr tape of the 1991 championship game while cruising around town), and hiring a Barbershop Quartet to serenade me at school… but I believe the best was when he sent Coach K a letter explaining my life-long fan hood, and enclosing a very generic valentine. Coach returned the valentine, signed with a short personal note. Hubby took great glee in teasing me that I was ( probably) getting a unique gift that only maybe five ladies in the world were getting! I could not have been more blown away!! ( and I still have it!)
    You married well - luv the limo ride championship.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

FWIW Jay Bilas gave a nice interview on Monday's Tony Kornheiser Show podcast (6/7), really giving some understanding and nuance about Coach K, particularly in the early days, and also how he has and hasn't changed. It's definitely worth a listen.