Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I am up to my orifices in audits right now. Feeling a little less . . . patient.
    Some years ago, a local furniture magnate was being audited by the state and he decided it was a good idea to lock the auditors in the windowless room in which they were working, and turn out the lights... so be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Some years ago, a local furniture magnate was being audited by the state and he decided it was a good idea to lock the auditors in the windowless room in which they were working, and turn out the lights... so be careful out there!
    Aimo could get out. But said magnate could not get away. As a matter of fact the two folks I would most want with me in a bar fight would be Budwom and Aimo.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Does anyone else feel like this thread sounds like a fun night out post-pandemic?
    It sounds like a fun night in...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Wrong thread. You want the butter thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Aimo could get out. But said magnate could not get away. As a matter of fact the two folks I would most want with me in a bar fight would be Budwom and Aimo.
    Tickle and Tackle! Like Starsky and Hutch only way better...Aimo can be Tackle as I generally flee from violence.

Tickle and Tackle! Like Starsky and Hutch only way better...Aimo can be Tackle as I generally flee from violence.
    Violence tries to flee from you, but fails miserably.

As a respiratory therapist I am keenly aware of how cigarette smoking has impacted my career. As a RT student I instituted a "Give a Kid a Smoke" campaign to help my career prospects.
    This reminds me of a scene from Ross McElwee's Bright Leaves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_McElwee [If you aren't familiar with him, McElwee is an independent filmmaker who makes ironic, self-referential documentaries. His most well known film is Sherman's March, in which he retraces Sherman's campaign through Georgia and South Carolina, while looking for love - really you have to see it to understand that description.]

McElwee is from North Carolina, his grandfather was a tobacco farmer and his father was a cancer surgeon. Bright Leaves is about his family's tobacco legacy and a possible connection with a Hollywood film from the 30s starring Gary Cooper called Bright Leaf. At one point in Bright Leaves, McElwee's narration mentions that he wonders if his grandfather's tobacco farming was an effort to help the career of his surgeon father. --- Dark humor, I know.

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    This reminds me of a scene from Ross McElwee's Bright Leaves https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_McElwee [If you aren't familiar with him, McElwee is an independent filmmaker who makes ironic, self-referential documentaries. His most well known film is Sherman's March, in which he retraces Sherman's campaign through Georgia and South Carolina, while looking for love - really you have to see it to understand that description.]

McElwee is from North Carolina, his grandfather was a tobacco farmer and his father was a cancer surgeon. Bright Leaves is about his family's tobacco legacy and a possible connection with a Hollywood film from the 30s starring Gary Cooper called Bright Leaf. At one point in Bright Leaves, McElwee's narration mentions that he wonders if his grandfather's tobacco farming was an effort to help the career of his surgeon father. --- Dark humor, I know.

Section 15
    This type of humor is the order of the day in the hospital.

This type of humor is the order of the day in the hospital.
    Note to self: Never get sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Hah! Yes, this is an appropriate correction.

I am either at home or in my office. Not a problem.

I am pretty good feeling my way through the dark.

If were ever in a barfight, the extent of my involvement might be a bottle over the bad guy's head and running like hell!

Note to self: Never get sick.
    As long as you aren't a baby you won't have to worry about me.

Am I the only one thinking this thread should really be appended to the LTE? I feel like I am taking away from the count with each post.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Am I the only one thinking this thread should really be appended to the LTE? I feel like I am taking away from the count with each post.
    Yes. Moving.

Section 15
    FWIW, back in my days at Duke, Durham was irretrievably identified with the tobacco industry. The move to becoming the "City of Medicine" or a "Suburb of Duke University" was years in the future. I played duplicate bridge when I was at Duke. The local group of bridge clubs was proud to call itself 'The Bright Leaf Unit," after the highly prized type of tobacco farmed in the area. And there's more, not dwelling on the fact that cigarettes were 25 cents a pack on the Duke campus -- and cartons $2.00 at the Dope Shop.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Back then, cigarettes were good for you because they exercised your lungs. And baby oil gave you that nice healthy tan when you lay out in the sun.

Yep. Cigarettes cleared your lungs. Just glance at any old issue of Saturday Evening Post or Look. If you don't believe the guy dressed up like a physician, surely you'll believe Joe Dimaggio.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep. Cigarettes cleared your lungs. Just glance at any old issue of Saturday Evening Post or Look. If you don't believe the guy dressed up like a physician, surely you'll believe Joe Dimaggio.
    I always wonder what the thing is that today we believe is good for us (or are sold on) that tomorrow we’ll know is bad and can’t believe we ever thought otherwise. I hope it’s not bacon.

I always wonder what the thing is that today we believe is good for us (or are sold on) that tomorrow we’ll know is bad and can’t believe we ever thought otherwise. I hope it’s not bacon.
    Kale, definitely kale.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Kale, definitely kale.
    God, I hope so.

If it’s baked chicken, I’m screwed.