Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    Zoubek in the room. I think he'd make a great big man coach!
    I'm all for Scheyer slowly but surely crafting a staff that is just the 2010 starting 5. ESPECIALLY if Zoubs is a part of it.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I'm all for Scheyer slowly but surely crafting a staff that is just the 2010 starting 5. ESPECIALLY if Zoubs is a part of it.
    Great pic

2010.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I just watched the Scheyer press conference and would highly recommend it at least watching Nina King's intro and Jon's prepared remarks - starts at 14:30 and ends at 27:30. Video here.

The Q&A afterwards is just as good if you have more time.

A few favorite moments:

- acknowledging Lance, Zoubek and G Henderson who all showed up

- sharing K's advice that the two most important relationships are with the president and AD (wise, Jon)

- stating that the new world of G League, OAD and NIL is great for the kids and for Duke basketball

- describing how he and Carawell and Nolan are "very protective" about the the program and who they want to join it in the recruiting process

- joking that he knows you're supposed to want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the guy - not the guy who follows the guy

I think he's off to a stellar start...

Congrats to coach Scheyer!

This situation really is unique. I think the only comparable is in another sport, with Manchester United and Sir Alex Ferguson, who was also around for more than 25 years at the club.

They chose to go the external route and appoint someone unrelated to the club/team. It did not go well for them and they ended up changing 2 more managers (who both failed), until 2.5 years ago when they appointed an ex player (and legend of the club) who has now turned it around and is progressing well.

I hope Duke had that in mind when they selected Scheyer. Keep it in the family. Keep the culture and traditions strong.

I'm optimistic that our recruiting won't drop off at all with Scheyer at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Great pic

2010.jpg
    FABULOUS pic!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

He was very, very impressive. Not surprising, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    FABULOUS pic!
    Just needed Singler there but he still might be recovering from that illegal screen.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    I just watched the Scheyer press conference and would highly recommend it at least watching Nina King's intro and Jon's prepared remarks - starts at 14:30 and ends at 27:30. Video here.

The Q&A afterwards is just as good if you have more time.

A few favorite moments:

- acknowledging Lance, Zoubek and G Henderson who all showed up

- sharing K's advice that the two most important relationships are with the president and AD (wise, Jon)

- stating that the new world of G League, OAD and NIL is great for the kids and for Duke basketball

- describing how he and Carawell and Nolan are "very protective" about the the program and who they want to join it in the recruiting process

- joking that he knows you're supposed to want to be the guy who follows the guy who follows the guy - not the guy who follows the guy

I think he's off to a stellar start...
    Thanks for the link! You can definitely tell that Coach K's approach to things has rubbed off on Jon (in a good way). Obviously, it has to after all these years. You look to emulate your leaders to an extent (while also having your own personality/style of course). Really good demeanor, his perspective in how he approaches things, his confidence, etc. I could almost hear Coach K in Jon's replies. Clearly, Coach K has given him a lot of advice. And Jon clearly has stated that he is NOT Coach K and will be his own person. (Which is exactly what K would say.)

Overall, I thought it was a great "first look" into Jon as a Head Coach and he did great I thought!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    Zoubek in the room. I think he'd make a great big man coach!
    Need to get Zoubs to come and coach the guards. NOBODY can run a fast break like Zoubek, and that's a fact!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Need to get Zoubs to come and coach the guards. NOBODY can run a fast break like Zoubek, and that's a fact!
    He can also teach how to intentionally miss a free throw.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    OK, so I'll be honest: as much as I LOVE Jon, I've been a bit nervous about how he'll do given his lack of experience. Then I saw this clip from the presser, and I can now confidently say I'm 100% psyched to have him as our coach. He obviously knows the power of Duke and what it means to everyone who's been a part of the university and the basketball program. And man that's a great recruiting pitch.

That clip, to me, is akin to when Juwan Howard cried with joy upon his introduction at Michigan (I know you guys hate my Duke to Michigan comparisons, but I use what I've got, and Michigan is the program I follow closest besides Duke, sorry!). That was the moment that Juwan won over a majority of the fan base that might've still had apprehensions about handing him the keys. I think that clip might do the same for many Duke fans.

I'm excited to see what Jon's going to do.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    He can also teach how to intentionally miss a free throw.
    Actually, it's pretty clear Jon has that covered.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    OK, so I'll be honest: as much as I LOVE Jon, I've been a bit nervous about how he'll do given his lack of experience. Then I saw this clip from the presser, and I can now confidently say I'm 100% psyched to have him as our coach. He obviously knows the power of Duke and what it means to everyone who's been a part of the university and the basketball program. And man that's a great recruiting pitch.
    This. There may have been other choices who would be as good as Jon in terms of pure pros and cons, but I don’t think there were any better choices. There’s no such thing as a perfect hire, especially when you’re replacing the greatest to ever do it. I think it’s a higher-risk, higher-reward hire, but I’m excited to see what Jon can do.

I also have some reason to believe that Scheyer has been one of, if not the, primary person to which K has delegated for the past, say, five or six seasons. I think K’s role had evolved to the point where he was more of a CEO-type figure, whereas Jon was very much a day-to-day COO. I think stepping in to being the face of the program—particularly on the recruiting trail—will be Jon’s biggest challenge. From a pure X’s and O’s perspective, I don’t imagine that the falloff will be very steep.

My only question is which end of K-Ville becomes “The Scheyer.”

I have never doubted Coach K and I am not about to start today. If he chose Jon, then he must truly believe in him as the best person for the job.

Congrats, Jon! Looking forward to a new era of Duke dominance.

For those of you who don't read the front page.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ike-krzyzewski

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Great article Jim. I particularly liked this part:

"Zoubek gave an impromptu media availability after Scheyer had left the podium and said Scheyer’s teammates saw this even then.

“I’ve seen his progression at K Academy every single year. He pretty much dominates it. I’ve seen him really mature as a coach, so I’m not at all surprised to see him get this job. I’m really excited and proud for the rest of the world to see how good he is.”"
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

We could have selected a caretaker for the program. I think we hired someone who can grow the program. Jon owned that podium today. I am excited for him and for Duke.

At the very end of the Q&A Jon gave a shout-out to Coach Lawson (who was there) for making the Olympics (3x3 Coach) and to Duke Baseball... who they would be rooting for.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue; 06-04-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: corrected quote

That would be a good name for a website/blog. Possibly even a band.

Jim your take was wonderful. Again I read it with a few years welling. Thank you for sharing with us here. Well done my friend!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'