Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a female nba head coach in the next few years. Two reasons: 1. Talent. 2. Men in the nba may be 6’10” and carved out of magic, but quite a few of them grew up listening to a woman who was raising them. The owners and sports writers and fans might find it strange, but the players might not have the same reaction.

One taste of the future: Becky Hammon filled in for Gregg Popovich after he got ejected from a game in December 2020. How’d she do? Here’s a yahoo article that was basically quoting from espn, Twitter, etc. https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-becky...041223855.html

It was clear after the game that the Spurs’ players were fully supportive of Hammon taking the reins on Wednesday.

Here’s Spurs star DeMar DeRozan, via ESPN:

"Becky played, and any player who knows the history of women's basketball knows what she meant to the sport," Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan said. "You don't think twice about it. She's one of us. When she speaks, we are all ears."

Point guard Dejounte Murray, also from ESPN:

"I love Becky to death. We are really, really close. She texts me on holidays to ask about my daughter, and I ask about her kids. I appreciate her. The future is bright for her. I hope she sticks to it and doesn't give up. One day it may happen, or it may not happen. Who knows? But she is definitely on the right road, and I think everyone here appreciates her. She is setting an example for every woman out there."

Veteran guard Patty Mills: “A proud moment not only for Becky, but the whole organization tonight. She has the ability to step up and coach in the NBA.”

There was also at least one player on the other side who liked what he saw on the Spurs sideline: LeBron James, on Becky Hammon's big moment: "It’s a beautiful thing just to hear her barking out calls, barking out sets. She’s very passionate about the game. So congrats to her and congrats to the league."

Other players around the NBA were also praising Hammon on social media, including Stephen Curry, Ja Morant, Pau Gasol and CJ McCollum.”

My hunch is that the first female head coach will get the job because a superstar or 3 makes it a condition for a free agent signing. Mix that with an open GM, like Brad Stevens, and the change could be quick. And I’m not sure it’s risky to hire someone with minimal HC experience; the NBA routinely hires guys with lifetime records of 235-321; that seems risky as well.
    Last edited by johnb; 06-04-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Duh. You need to check your sarcasm gauge.
    AHA! That's what emojis are for! Some of us are slow.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw a female nba head coach in the next few years. Two reasons: 1. Talent. 2. Men in the nba may be 6’10” and carved out of magic, but quite a few of them grew up listening to a woman who was raising them. The owners and sports writers and fans might find it strange, but the players might not have the same reaction.

One taste of the future: Becky Hammon filled in for Gregg Popovich after he got ejected from a game in December 2020. How’d she do? Here’s a yahoo article that was basically quoting from espn, Twitter, etc. https://sports.yahoo.com/spurs-becky...041223855.html

It was clear after the game that the Spurs’ players were fully supportive of Hammon taking the reins on Wednesday.

Here’s Spurs star DeMar DeRozan, via ESPN:

"Becky played, and any player who knows the history of women's basketball knows what she meant to the sport," Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan said. "You don't think twice about it. She's one of us. When she speaks, we are all ears."

Point guard Dejounte Murray, also from ESPN:

"I love Becky to death. We are really, really close. She texts me on holidays to ask about my daughter, and I ask about her kids. I appreciate her. The future is bright for her. I hope she sticks to it and doesn't give up. One day it may happen, or it may not happen. Who knows? But she is definitely on the right road, and I think everyone here appreciates her. She is setting an example for every woman out there."

Veteran guard Patty Mills: “A proud moment not only for Becky, but the whole organization tonight. She has the ability to step up and coach in the NBA.”

There was also at least one player on the other side who liked what he saw on the Spurs sideline: LeBron James, on Becky Hammon's big moment: "It’s a beautiful thing just to hear her barking out calls, barking out sets. She’s very passionate about the game. So congrats to her and congrats to the league."

Other players around the NBA were also praising Hammon on social media, including Stephen Curry, Ja Morant, Pau Gasol and CJ McCollum.”

My hunch is that the first female head coach will get the job because a superstar or 3 makes it a condition for a free agent signing. Mix that with an open GM, like Brad Stevens, and the change could be quick. And I’m not sure it’s risky to hire someone with minimal HC experience; the NBA routinely hires guys with lifetime records of 235-321; that seems risky as well.
    I'd love for Boston to lead this charge. Would be wonderful for the sport and for the Celtics.

The only thing I would do is kindly ask Tatum and Brown what they think. I know Brown would be onboard; hope Tatum would be as well.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

https://www.aol.com/former-celtics-p...150213779.html

Interesting thoughts on the possibility of Kara Lawson becoming the Celtics' head coach.

I'm not sure how Mr. Pagliuca would feel about yanking the hot dog out of the Duke bun so quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Couldn't spork you, but I think this is an excellent point.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not sure how Mr. Pagliuca would feel about yanking the hot dog out of the Duke bun so quickly...
    Yea, so to speak, but I'm guessing IF the Celtics want her to be their next head coach, they will not have any qualms about making her an offer. Duke be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, so to speak, but I'm guessing IF the Celtics want her to be their next head coach, they will not have any qualms about making her an offer. Duke be damned.
    Meeting that antecedent, though, that's the tricky part.

I just don't think the GM/coach combo of Stevens/Lawson is anywhere as good or experienced as what they had previously, not that Ainge was setting the world on fire.

At the end of the day, it's very good for Lawson to even be mentioned in this way, even if only by a few people (I'm not counting the DBR front page).

I'm calling it now...Kara picks up 2 top-10 recruits in the class of '22 and has a top-3 recruiting class.

So now Kemba Walker reportedly wants out of Boston. Is this vindication for Kyrie? Considering how unceremoniously they dumped Isaiah Thomas before him, perhaps someone should tell Celtics fans the old line of "the one constant in all your failed point guard relationships is you"?

And yes, I'm aware of the Duke connections among Celtics leadership. I think it's fair to say that considering where they were five or so years ago - two budding superstars in Tatum and Brown, the best young coach in the league in Stevens, scores of future lottery picks from the Nets trade where they dumped Garnett and Pierce to that Russian billionaire - and then looking at where they are now, it's been a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So now Kemba Walker reportedly wants out of Boston. Is this vindication for Kyrie? Considering how unceremoniously they dumped Isaiah Thomas before him, perhaps someone should tell Celtics fans the old line of "the one constant in all your failed point guard relationships is you"?

And yes, I'm aware of the Duke connections among Celtics leadership. I think it's fair to say that considering where they were five or so years ago - two budding superstars in Tatum and Brown, the best young coach in the league in Stevens, scores of future lottery picks from the Nets trade where they dumped Garnett and Pierce to that Russian billionaire - and then looking at where they are now, it's been a disaster.
    I'm sure the Celts would love to unload Kemba and his horrific contract, but there are only so many suckers in the NBA...I agree with you, the Celts have fallen off a cliff compared with their prospects of a few years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    So now Kemba Walker reportedly wants out of Boston. Is this vindication for Kyrie?
    Certainly won't change anyone's opinion on this board.

14. Maybe the dysfunction extended beyond Kyrie with the Celtics...

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/06/19/ce...walker-tension

If Celtics players were OK with Kyrie stomping the logo that says a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Maybe the dysfunction extended beyond Kyrie with the Celtics...

Yeah, or that it wasn't nearly as big a deal to folks as some on this board and in the media made it out to be.

Or maybe it was a punk move but Tatum didn’t want to call out a member of The Brotherhood so others followed suit

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Maybe the dysfunction extended beyond Kyrie with the Celtics...

It sounds like Stevens was promoted out of incompetence. Where in his resume is he qualified to be an NBA General Manager (or President of Basketball Operations)?

Players even began to voice their concerns over Stevens's "college offense" that often left the team's best players in isolation situations. They began to welcome the idea of a coaching change for Stevens's favoritism of players and inability to hold some accountable as well, per the report.

Quote Originally Posted by quahog174 View Post
    Or maybe it was a punk move but Tatum didn’t want to call out a member of The Brotherhood so others followed suit
    Really? A "punk move?" How so?

It was a little showy and not something I would have done, but it isn't like he punched an opponent in the gonads. THAT is a punk move.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Really? A "punk move?" How so?

It was a little showy and not something I would have done, but it isn't like he punched an opponent in the gonads. THAT is a punk move.
    Must have different definitions for ‘punk move’. I think it was a punk move

Gonad punches are a little more violent and vulgar than a ‘punk move’.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Must have different definitions for ‘punk move’. I think it was a punk move

Gonad punches are a little more violent and vulgar than a ‘punk move’.
    Fair enough.

Regardless, the fact that the players didn't care about this gesture doesn't suggest to me that the players were checked out or didn't care about the season. It tells me it wasn't a big deal.