Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    It's the Heathcoate-Izzo succession model. Announce the retirement and the successor (the lead assistant) a year in advance to smooth out the transition and provide stability.

Izzo was 40 years old and had been an assistant at Michigan State for 12 years when he took over.

If Scheyer is K's successor, he'll have been an assistant for eight years and will be 35 years old when he takes over.

So it's not that far off.
    It's also the Bowden-Fisher succession plan, which sort of worked at FSU for a while. Certainly a workable model, presuming the guy in waiting is the right guy.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Side note: if I'm Scheyer, and he is indeed the coach-in-waiting, my first priority right now is doing everything in my power to keep Nolan around as his assistant as long as possible. Second priority would be following the Juwan Howard model and finding another assistant who has HC experience to guide him (perhaps another round from Capel?).
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

If Duke were to hire any other 35 year-old who's never been a head coach, wouldn't people be flipping out?
    Obviously I love Jon Scheyer and I can understand the rationale behind that (supposed) line of thinking, but I don't at all think that's the best possible hire, even if staying within "the family" is a requirement (which I don't think it should be anyway).

The Last Dance

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how many other coaches have announced a swan song? Most coaches keep it close to the vest and spring the news after their last season is over.
    It happens. The MSU example of Heathcoate giving way to Izzo is one. FSU naming Jimbo Fisher as Bobby Bowden's coach in waiting. It's not common, but it does happen.

I’m not on the Scheyer bandwagon. My vote is Quinn Snyder.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If Duke were to hire any other 35 year-old who's never been a head coach, wouldn't people be flipping out?
    Obviously I love Jon Scheyer and I can understand the rationale behind that (supposed) line of thinking, but I don't at all think that's the best possible hire, even if staying within "the family" is a requirement (which I don't think it should be anyway).
    It's a HUGE gamble for sure. Scheyer has done well on the recruiting trail, but he's done well recruiting kids to play under Coach K. There's a big difference between that and recruiting kids to play for a guy who has never been a head coach at any level, let alone a major D1 program.

Hopefully he's the right guy, but I agree that it is a big risk to take.

The only plus side of it being Scheyer is that he has a relationship with current players and it will make recruiting easier than if Coach K had waited until the end of the season to announce. Now (if it is Scheyer), he can recruit as the coach in waiting so players know what they are getting when they arrive.

But yeah, it's a big gamble. Basically, the same gamble that UNC made with Hubert Davis, only with less lead-up time for recruiting purposes. If Scheyer is the guy, let's hope it works out.

I thought I had maybe 3-5 more years to make the pilgrimage to Mecca, now I have to put off any other family plans and reallocate my finances to get to Cameron for my first home game this season... Just hoping they are back at full capacity by then!

Congrats to Coach and Mama K; after everything they've given us they deserve whatever amount of rest in retirement they decide upon.

Someone please change the thread title to clarify it is happening after this season, so readers don’t have a heart attack.

I’m not terribly surprised, he’s what, 73 or 74 years old? The game has changed completely and will continue to do so. I’m really going to enjoy this last ride and then prepare for a new era.

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    As has been said, there's no guarantee Snyder has any interest in returning to college (where he suffered recruiting violations after a brief run of success). I'm sure that all avenues within the coaching tree have been considered.

No one wants to follow K, so the Scheyer move makes sense. He gets a once-in-a-lifetime shot at being the Duke head coach and you maintain recruiting continuity. The odds of K's daughters keeping their jobs in the program probably also remains. If he fails, then you'll get guys lining up for the next at bat when the pressure of being "next" is much lessened.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke talked to outside candidates about replacing Krzyzewski, including Harvard coach Tommy Amaker, sources told ESPN. Scheyer, however, was the lead recruiter on such stars as Jayson Tatum and Zion Williamson and is Duke's choice to replace Coach K, sources said.
    I wonder who else was "talked to".

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...on-sources-say

PS..IF the hire is already in the bag, this takes immense pressure off of Nina King.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Feel so suicidal like Dylan's Mr. Joooooonessss

Only kidding. But this is a bit of a shock. + you add in the Stevens news up in Boston. Wouldn't mind if Coach K gave us a parting gift and delivered Brad Stevens (and his 6th Championship) as he walks out the door. The mic drop of all mic drops.

End of an era. If you have face value tickets to the last UNC game at cameron, are you going or selling? Be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    No one wants to follow K, so the Scheyer move makes sense. He gets a once-in-a-lifetime shot at being the Duke head coach and you maintain recruiting continuity. The odds of K's daughters keeping their jobs in the program probably also remains. If he fails, then you'll get guys lining up for the next at bat when the pressure of being "next" is much lessened.
    ...or the job has become Indiana after Mike Davis, or Georgetown after Craig Esherick.
    I think there's a significant chance that Duke is considerably less relevant basketball-wise in 10 years than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Side note: if I'm Scheyer, and he is indeed the coach-in-waiting, my first priority right now is doing everything in my power to keep Nolan around as his assistant as long as possible. Second priority would be following the Juwan Howard model and finding another assistant who has HC experience to guide him (perhaps another round from Capel?).
    Um . . . isn't Wojo available?

Wow, it's going to be weird with no Coach K on the bench after all these years. Hopefully he stays on with Duke basketball in some oversight capacity. I love that he immediately made it public that Jon would be the successor. He must really believe in Jon. He's a damn good recruiter, that's for sure. Good luck to Coach this season. Let's get that 6th title!

Quote Originally Posted by WVDUKEFAN View Post
    Timing is not ideal for Quinn - as he is in the midst of a possible NBA finals run with his #1 seed Jazz. Duke also has to be thinking about getting a new HC in there asap for recruiting purposes.

Scheyer is actually 33.

If he indeed becomes the next head coach at Duke, he will do it at 33 years old.

Turns 34 in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The odds of K's daughters keeping their jobs in the program probably also remains.
    I am enough of cynic to believe that this does figure into K’s decision-making process.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Scheyer is actually 33.

If he indeed becomes the next head coach at Duke, he will do it at 33 years old.

Turns 34 in August.
    Well, Coach K isn't retiring until after the coming season. So Scheyer wouldn't be the head coach until he is 34 and bordering on 35. He wouldn't coach a game as head coach until he's 35.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Scheyer is actually 33.

Turns 34 in August.
    Thanks for the clarification, but the specific number isn't really relevant to my larger point: that this is, to me, a surprisingly and somewhat needlessly risky hire, and that I'm not particularly bullish on the coming era of Duke basketball.