Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think horse racing is a great historic sport, and the Kentucky Derby was traditionally one of the four or five most important sports events in the country -- World Series, Rose Bowl, heavyweight championship fight, etc. (Yeah, I'm old.) Yet the Derby purse is $3 million -- compared to the Masters at $11.5 M and even the every week event is $5 million or more (Valero in San Antonio was $7.7 M).
    Yes, but are you mixing up the horses with the owners who might have a few horses? And the Masters is split amongst the top 40 or 50 players, while only the top 5 horses get the purse money. You do realize there was a lot of other purse money given out during the 2 days at Churchill Downs. You have 4 big golf tournaments a year, and the Fedex Cup (right?). 3 Triple Crown Races, a bunch of Derby Preps, Haskell/Travers, big Fall Races, Breeder's Cup, 2 big Saudi families of Races, Pegasus. It's not Mike Trout money, but it's not bad.

Arrogate had 6 stake wins and won $17 million. Then he had all the mares he could.. eat.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    At this point, it is more the integrity of the owners, the veterinarians, and the states where Baffert races. If the owners feel there is something going on, they shouldn't support Baffert with their horses in his barn. There are several top quality trainers in southern California to use. The jockeys are the same. Although he is friends with these people, they've had enormous success, I get it; if authorities will not suspend him, most owners just don't have the will to move.

As a bettor, if he enters a horse, you can make whatever assumption about what he does with a horse that you like. To quote Bill Parcells, His record is what his record says it is. It is your money and you can assume that he will continue to put out horses that will perform just as they had before:

For instance, today he has a first time starter in the 6th at Santa Anita, American Admiral:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1006458
    Here is a 3YOC $1.3M son of American Pharoah who has good but not great works. Obviously he missed the Triple Crown, and most of the big money 2YO/3YO races have passed this one by. He will surely take lots of money because of his breeding, trainer, and purchase price.
    You might have a better bet on the other Baffert entry (Myopic) who is a 2nd time starter (a good betting angle we've discussed) who has since had a bullet work and had a rough trip.

Here is a story about yesterday's Preakness:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne..._Preakness_123
    Steve Asmussen takes some credit for 'softening' up Medina Spirit with Midnight Bourbon so Rombauer could win the race. There may be some truth to it, but Medina Spirit looked tired to me halfway through the race (drifting out). Rombauer's 3.5 length win was decisive.
    The field was really strung out behind the top 3. I don't see any of these other horses going to the Belmont.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I may get crucified for using this analogy, but are we entering horse racing’s “Me too” moment? We have had federal indictments in New York. Then Churchill Downs banned Baffert and his horses. Now NYRA has banned Baffert and his horses. I know one of the Hancocks of Claiborne Farm has been on a mission to clean up racing. At least one Derby winning owner shipped his horses to Europe for what he perceived as rampant cheating in this country. While I support due process for all charged, I want horse racing to not just survive I want it to thrive. Its a beautiful sport with great athletes both animal and human.

Now I am looking forward to a great Belmont. I am hopeful Essential Quality wins in a romp. We need a super horse to help remove the stench left over from the last few weeks. And if it is “Chuck” aka Hot Rod Charlie I am happy with that too, a great story line.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    I may get crucified for using this analogy, but are we entering horse racing’s “Me too” moment? We have had federal indictments in New York. Then Churchill Downs banned Baffert and his horses. Now NYRA has banned Baffert and his horses. I know one of the Hancocks of Claiborne Farm has been on a mission to clean up racing. At least one Derby winning owner shipped his horses to Europe for what he perceived as rampant cheating in this country. While I support due process for all charged, I want horse racing to not just survive I want it to thrive. Its a beautiful sport with great athletes both animal and human.

Now I am looking forward to a great Belmont. I am hopeful Essential Quality wins in a romp. We need a super horse to help remove the stench left over from the last few weeks. And if it is “Chuck” aka Hot Rod Charlie I am happy with that too, a great story line.
    I saw a blurb today that Flavian Prat (winning jockey on Rombauer in the Preakness) would choose "Chuck" in the Belmont over Rombauer. "Juicy" if true.

Since sunday, Baffert has entered just 1 horse. A filly in this coming Sunday's Santa Maria Stakes at Santa Anita. Interesting.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I saw a blurb today that Flavian Prat (winning jockey on Rombauer in the Preakness) would choose "Chuck" in the Belmont over Rombauer. "Juicy" if true.

Since sunday, Baffert has entered just 1 horse. A filly in this coming Sunday's Santa Maria Stakes at Santa Anita. Interesting.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Maybe the horses have all gone to rehab.

When I first wrote this I was being sarcastic, but maybe his horses are “ drying out” right now to prevent new drug tests.

Maybe the horses have all gone to rehab.

When I first wrote this I was being sarcastic, but maybe his horses are “ drying out” right now to prevent new drug tests.
    Could be, although Medina Spirit had every test, except perhaps COVID19, and was still OK.

BTW, Rombauer's Preakness was the highest Beyer of the day at Pimlico at a 102; very nice.

Also of note, that 4 of the top 5 finishers from the Breeder's Cup Juvenile have all won Graded Stakes since that race:

1 - Essential Quality (Blue Grass, Southwest Stakes)
    2 - Hot Rod Charlie (Louisiana Derby)
    3 - Keepmeinmind
    4 - Jackie's Warrior (Pat Day Mile)
    5 - Rombauer (El Camino Real, Preakness)

BC Juvee is usually a somewhat dud of a predictor, but was a pretty good harbinger of quality racers last year.

Too bad they run the Pat Day Mile on Kentucky Derby Day. They used to give it its own afternoon called Pat Day Day.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Missed this interesting horse last friday. Stage Raider is a half brother to Justify. <hold your horses.. trained by Chad Brown, not Baffert>
    Won his 2nd out of 3 starts:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1393317958093578243

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

Larry
    DevilHorse

I think I got the right horse forum up..

Lots of horse racing, but the top horse races are coming in a week, coincident with the Belmont and as we approach the Saratoga and Del Mar (only 50 days) meets.

Here is an article about how other jurisdictions plan on dealing with Bob Baffert relative to his possible license suspension:
    https://www.whas11.com/article/sport...9-8dd5b31a197a
    the distinction is made between denying him stall space, while things are being sorted out (i.e., waiting for the split sample on Medina Spirit to come back) and due process to be afforded the interested parties. Due Process can take several months. The labs will take time (more than the 2 weeks of the original drug test) to be sure that all measurements are done correctly and that everyone is informed privately and given their opportunity to respond.

There are a few 2YO maiden races around, at various tracks, but I didn't find any particular entry intriguing. Of course a horse with modest pedigree and conformation could wow you out of those races (like a Seattle Slew type). But trainers usually wait for a Saratoga type meeting to release those monsters.

If you are into Standardbred racing (the 'trotters') the big guns have been qualifying for a month now and are getting some miles under their belt as they race their way into shape each week.

I did find a few stakes races happening at Lone Star Park in Texas on Monday.
    The most interesting of which is the Sexton Mile:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1689556
    C Z Rocket and By My Standards will be butting heads in that one, with Silver Prospector trying to make it into the triple.

Monmouth Park opens today. They are still sweating it when it comes to their jockey population. With the most restrictive whip rule in the country. At last count they had 12 committed jockeys, some of whom have not raced in over 2 years. There may be some betting opportunities there. Inexperienced (but hopefully safe) jockeys, horses that won't move without a whip; hopefully it will be a non-issue and safe for all. If horses are scratched because of a lack of jockeys, there will be problems for the track, jockeys, and horsemen.

Larry
    DevilHorse

A nice overview of the status of drug testing and where the Baffert situation is and is likely to go:
    https://nysba.org/the-baedecker-guid...-horse-racing/

Speaking of Mr. B, I noticed that he has entered American Admiral into the 9th race at Santa Anita on Saturday:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1509687
    This $1.3M colt gave a nice effort in his first start and expects to be right there.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Memorial Day Weekend - The Four Chaplains

In honor of the Memorial Day Weekend, and the Horse Racing Forum, I offer the following:
    4Chaplains.jpg
    4ChaplainsStamp.jpg
    Those of you who collect stamps are familiar with the 3 cent postage stamps of the Four Interfaith Chaplains, but perhaps not the story of The 4 Chaplains', Lieutenants Fox (Methodist), Goode (Jewish), Washington (Catholic) & Poling (Dutch Reformed), who gave their life jackets to soldiers as the U.S.A.T. Dorchester sank during WW II on 2/4/43. The plaque that you see hangs in the Clubhouse at Belmont Park.

There was a movie made about their story, and various youtube stories as well:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgYYknOuLQM

Larry
    DevilHorse

Well, yesterday did have an interesting race that I missed in retrospect. It was the running of the Matt Winn Stakes.

I knew it was familiar when I passed over it earlier in the week, but I couldn't put my digit on it. Now looking into it, here is the back story..
    In general, the Matt Winn Stakes, Grade III for 3YOs, is not that big a deal.
    But in last year's crazy COVID19 year, it became a big deal because it was annointed with KY DERBY points because the KYD was later in the year.
    This was a race that Maxfield eventually won (some of you are saying 'oh yeah' Maxfield).

This year, a couple of also rans from the KYD, O'Besos (5th) and Helium (8th) made this an interesting race. But a new shooter rained on their parade and made a last to first mockery of their effort to re-establish dirt cred. That horse is Fulsome:
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/insta...e=inc&print=on

Fulsome (of course) is a homebred son of Into Mischief from Juddmonte Farms, who is now on a 3 race winning streak and is now looking at running with the big boys. It took 3 races to break his maiden, but it looks like this colt is destined for some better things.
    Here are the Matt Win PPs if you want to see Fulsome's pre-race lines:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1218663

BTW, By My Standards is scratched for the Sexton Mile, so C Z Rocket should be the prohibitive favorite.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Pretty grim story in last week's New Yorker about horse racing in general, and the horse deaths at Santa Anita in particular. Does not paint a pretty picture of the sport at all.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Pretty grim story in last week's New Yorker about horse racing in general, and the horse deaths at Santa Anita in particular. Does not paint a pretty picture of the sport at all.
    I believe this is the article:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...racing-survive

I don't think this article broke any new ground. It covered many of the complaints du jour about horse racing in general, and covered why Mitch McConnell is now heroically lining his pockets by introducing legislation for his donors. As it has been mentioned in this forum before, these horses perish and are injured in races, training, in the fields, and in their stalls; there are 100 stories to choose from each year with feeling owners attached to them. This is an easy column to write.

People love horses. But they don't usually love them from afar. They want to see them up close, touch them, ride them, and bet on them. The article says that “Horses don’t want to be forced to run!” “Just like us!” “Horses feel pain!" Horses don't always have ways to tell you that unless they are in the middle of a race and don't perform. If it is known that a horse is sub-par, shame on the trainer/owner that runs that horse; they will not be getting a check anyway. Most horses love to run from the day they are born. Put one in a field and see what happens. Put 2 or more in a field, and you have a race.

For a New York based magazine, that focusses on all of the needless whipping that goes on, it neglects that 30 miles for NYC is Monmouth Park where whipping is only allowed for safety reasons. The absence of including this exculpatory and balanced information would be reason for a mistrial in the court of public opinion in my biased view.

Will they outlaw the breeding of cows so we don't have beef to eat? I don't hear about people loving to look at and hang out with cows.
    Will they outlaw football so brain injuries are no longer showing up 20/30 years later?

It's always something.

Thanks for pointing out the article.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Some potpourri before we get into a big Belmont week..

I saw a list of 8 Grade I races for Saturday's Belmont card. There should be a few good horses racing.

Here is an article about initial results on the whipless racing at Monmouth. Short answer.. too early to know. Wasn't a disaster, but weather conditions prevented anyone from knowing if poor handle was impacted by the whipping issue or weather.
    https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ngpFfA.twitter

More 2YO races happening, but I'm not seeing a lot of quality in there yet, although some quality trainers are sending out their lesser horses.

At this time of year there are a few trainers who get their horses out on the track early and collect early wins.
    Steve Assmussen is one of those guys.
    He has a second time starter who did well in her first start, but didn't graduate. Second time starters are a betting tip!
    Steve Assmussen early 2YOs is another.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...408&param3=272

I don't know if you've gotten the drift or not, but I am not a big turf racing guy. But I do appreciate horses that have a style or show consistency.
    There is a very interesting race on Thursday at Belmont. Race 8, the Wonder Again, has some interesting 3YO fillies.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1067088
    There are 2 fillies who love to run on the front end and WIN. Con Lima and Jouster, both from Pletcher. Now you figure that these 2 speed balls, being from the same barn, will not tire each other out (being from the same barn), but sometimes it is the horse has that has the final say. That's why we look for a closer. That's why we look at the appropriately named Alwayz Late. She shows mostly turf races, and loves to close, but it is her most recent start that is interesting. Her connections thought enough of her to make her last start in the Gazelle, which was a prep race for the Kentucky Oaks, but it was a dirt race. That race was won by Search Results (2nd in the KY Oaks by a smidge) and 3rd place was Army Wife (won the Black Eyed Susan); that was some top fillies in the Gazelle, making it perhaps the top prep race. What's more is that the jockey ran Alwayz Late completely against her successful pattern (out slowly and end with a flourish); the result was that it appears like AL didn't like the dirt and spit the bit in the stretch. But I think that she will be coming from behind to have a shot, at a price, against the two above behemoths.

Another race of interest is the Thursday Belmont race 3. It is an Allowance race. Andy Serling, Handicapper for the NYRA, made an offhand comment on a broadcast a few weeks ago that "Following Sea may be the fastest of the Run Happy's". Well, I missed any previous race by him, but he is on Race 3 and I'm going to check him out. It is an Allowance race for non-winners of a race other than maiden, claiming, etc. But the conditions are tortured to get the 1 horse in.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...242&param3=207
    The 1 horse Wudda U Think Now is an older horse and wins half the time. I don't know why he is in this race, but the Race Secretary is throwing someone a bone here.
    Following Sea is interesting. He showed speed finishing 2nd in his first start, and then wowwed them with his second start win. Then... the horse was taken away from the trainer, Bob Baffert and given to Todd Pletcher. I haven't seen that before. Spendthrift Farm has a lot of horses with a lot of trainers, so they know what they are doing. Does this have anything to do with the KYD positive? Who's to say.
    Another interesting horse in this race Reinvestment Risk. This horse finished 2nd in both the Hopeful and the Champagne to the great miler Jackie's Warrior. He then laid a big egg in the BC Juvenile and hadn't been seen since; he was at 6-1 odds, so you know he was well thought of. First time Lasix for him. He has Irad Ortiz.

I'd go with the fit horse Following Sea.

Larry
    DevilHorse

I believe this is the article:
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...racing-survive

I don't think this article broke any new ground. It covered many of the complaints du jour about horse racing in general, and covered why Mitch McConnell is now heroically lining his pockets by introducing legislation for his donors. As it has been mentioned in this forum before, these horses perish and are injured in races, training, in the fields, and in their stalls; there are 100 stories to choose from each year with feeling owners attached to them. This is an easy column to write.

People love horses. But they don't usually love them from afar. They want to see them up close, touch them, ride them, and bet on them. The article says that “Horses don’t want to be forced to run!” “Just like us!” “Horses feel pain!" Horses don't always have ways to tell you that unless they are in the middle of a race and don't perform. If it is known that a horse is sub-par, shame on the trainer/owner that runs that horse; they will not be getting a check anyway. Most horses love to run from the day they are born. Put one in a field and see what happens. Put 2 or more in a field, and you have a race.

For a New York based magazine, that focusses on all of the needless whipping that goes on, it neglects that 30 miles for NYC is Monmouth Park where whipping is only allowed for safety reasons. The absence of including this exculpatory and balanced information would be reason for a mistrial in the court of public opinion in my biased view.

Will they outlaw the breeding of cows so we don't have beef to eat? I don't hear about people loving to look at and hang out with cows.
    Will they outlaw football so brain injuries are no longer showing up 20/30 years later?

It's always something.

Thanks for pointing out the article.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Thanks for the link. While it is old news, it’s well written and an interesting read. My take on horse racing is that it may be one of the only sports that Covid may have benefited. I assume many of the betting dollars came from younger people with time on their hands. Maybe these new bettors stick around.

My perception after watching a lot of horse racing this past year, mainly at the major tracks, is fewer horses breakdown now than fifty years ago. I don’t recall seeing horses scratched at the gate back then. Now it is not uncommon to see that. When I first started watching horse racing in 1971 I don’t believe Lasix or Bute were legal. (DevilHorse, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

I am concerned that California which initiates many trends in this country, both good and bad, will ultimately close down racing. Hopefully the new federal law will have more positive than negative effects and stymie PETA.

To those who have never visited a thoroughbred farm or watched a you tube on thoroughbreds, I can assure you these animals love to run. And yes, some want to be the leader and run the fastest. Just as my terriers have always loved to dig in the yard, thoroughbreds are bred to run. No one has to force them, although just like humans some are just damn slow.

Thanks for the link. While it is old news, it’s well written and an interesting read. My take on horse racing is that it may be one of the only sports that Covid may have benefited. I assume many of the betting dollars came from younger people with time on their hands. Maybe these new bettors stick around.

My perception after watching a lot of horse racing this past year, mainly at the major tracks, is fewer horses breakdown now than fifty years ago. I don’t recall seeing horses scratched at the gate back then. Now it is not uncommon to see that. When I first started watching horse racing in 1971 I don’t believe Lasix or Bute were legal. (DevilHorse, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

I am concerned that California which initiates many trends in this country, both good and bad, will ultimately close down racing. Hopefully the new federal law will have more positive than negative effects and stymie PETA.

To those who have never visited a thoroughbred farm or watched a you tube on thoroughbreds, I can assure you these animals love to run. And yes, some want to be the leader and run the fastest. Just as my terriers have always loved to dig in the yard, thoroughbreds are bred to run. No one has to force them, although just like humans some are just damn slow.
    Horse racing was ready for COVID in that people could already bet from accounts at home. It was a solution waiting for a pandemic so to speak.

There was a time when my mornings started with an hour long visit to a breeding farm, to visit mares and foals. It is a great visit. Weaned foals act quite differently than foals with their mothers. Yes they like to run, and they get injured without any help from trainers and vets. It just happens. They kick each other, run into things. They are powerful, and are all legs. They have 350 degree vision and have idiosyncrasies. The strangest thing I learned about horses (other than it is true that the grass outside of a paddock is always more interesting than inside) is that they fear umbrellas; spooky stuff.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Some potpourri before we get into a big Belmont week..

I saw a list of 8 Grade I races for Saturday's Belmont card. There should be a few good horses racing.

Here is an article about initial results on the whipless racing at Monmouth. Short answer.. too early to know. Wasn't a disaster, but weather conditions prevented anyone from knowing if poor handle was impacted by the whipping issue or weather.
    https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ngpFfA.twitter

More 2YO races happening, but I'm not seeing a lot of quality in there yet, although some quality trainers are sending out their lesser horses.

At this time of year there are a few trainers who get their horses out on the track early and collect early wins.
    Steve Assmussen is one of those guys.
    He has a second time starter who did well in her first start, but didn't graduate. Second time starters are a betting tip!
    Steve Assmussen early 2YOs is another.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...408&param3=272

I don't know if you've gotten the drift or not, but I am not a big turf racing guy. But I do appreciate horses that have a style or show consistency.
    There is a very interesting race on Thursday at Belmont. Race 8, the Wonder Again, has some interesting 3YO fillies.
    There are 2 fillies who love to run on the front end and WIN. Con Lima and Jouster, both from Pletcher. Now you figure that these 2 speed balls, being from the same barn, will not tire each other out (being from the same barn), but sometimes it is the horse has that has the final say. That's why we look for a closer. That's why we look at the appropriately named Alwayz Late. She shows mostly turf races, and loves to close, but it is her most recent start that is interesting. Her connections thought enough of her to make her last start in the Gazelle, which was a prep race for the Kentucky Oaks, but it was a dirt race. That race was won by Search Results (2nd in the KY Oaks by a smidge) and 3rd place was Army Wife (won the Black Eyed Susan); that was some top fillies in the Gazelle, making it perhaps the top prep race. What's more is that the jockey ran Alwayz Late completely against her successful pattern (out slowly and end with a flourish); the result was that it appears like AL didn't like the dirt and spit the bit in the stretch. But I think that she will be coming from behind to have a shot, at a price, against the two above behemoths.

Another race of interest is the Thursday Belmont race 3. It is an Allowance race. Andy Serling, Handicapper for the NYRA, made an offhand comment on a broadcast a few weeks ago that "Following Sea may be the fastest of the Run Happy's". Well, I missed any previous race by him, but he is on Race 3 and I'm going to check him out. It is an Allowance race for non-winners of a race other than maiden, claiming, etc. But the conditions are tortured to get the 1 horse in.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...242&param3=207
    The 1 horse Wudda U Think Now is an older horse and wins half the time. I don't know why he is in this race, but the Race Secretary is throwing someone a bone here.
    Following Sea is interesting. He showed speed finishing 2nd in his first start, and then wowwed them with his second start win. Then... the horse was taken away from the trainer, Bob Baffert and given to Todd Pletcher. I haven't seen that before. Spendthrift Farm has a lot of horses with a lot of trainers, so they know what they are doing. Does this have anything to do with the KYD positive? Who's to say.
    Another interesting horse in this race Reinvestment Risk. This horse finished 2nd in both the Hopeful and the Champagne to the great miler Jackie's Warrior. He then laid a big egg in the BC Juvenile and hadn't been seen since; he was at 6-1 odds, so you know he was well thought of. First time Lasix for him. He has Irad Ortiz.

I'd go with the fit horse Following Sea.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I either read or heard on television that Spendthrift had remove all its horses from Baffert. That report said the decision was not necessarily permanent, but at least for the foreseeable future. And yes, the decision was based on the failed Derby test according to the report.

I either read or heard on television that Spendthrift had remove all its horses from Baffert. That report said the decision was not necessarily permanent, but at least for the foreseeable future. And yes, the decision was based on the failed Derby test according to the report.
    Interesting that the horse was apparently moved from the west coast to the east coast. Expensive. The information for Spendthrift is VERY easy to track. Spendthrift has a page where the racehorses that they own are listed for the Entries/Results (and the PPs). This week, they show the Belmont horses are with Pletcher. At Churchill Downs, the trainer is Albert Stall Jr. However, only Following Sea shows a change in trainer, so we have to assume that the other horses were originally with the listed trainer.

Thanks for that clarification.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Not sure where to start.

Friday at Belmont will have some nice stakes races. Saturday will be the card of the year so far!!!!

In the 3rd race at Belmont is the first 2YO stake of the year, The Tremont.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...242&param3=276
    My intuition (as faulty as that is) suggests that an early 2YO race would not produce a worthy 3YO in a year, but that is not true.
    Previous winners of this race include Hansel (Preakness winner), Henny Hughes (sire of Beholder), City Zip (great early speed sire), Alydar (didn't win nuthin), Foolish Pleasure (KYD), Bold Forbes (KYD), to name but a few. Tremont was supposedly the best 2YO ever sired and was undefeated, but never started as a 3YO.
    The small field of 6 has only 3 undefeated horses, all of which have only broken their maidens. Little Drama might be the most interesting.
    Let the 2022 KYD shopping begin!!! Not a Baffert to be seen (so is there a winner here?)

Also on Friday is the True North in the 7th Race:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=933702
    Firenze Fire looks to be the class of this group, with Flagstaff bringing a 2 race win streak into the race.

The 8th Race is the Bed O Roses:
    This race brings the powerful filly Chub Wagon, and her 7 race undefeated win streak, into Graded Stakes company for the first time. She will be facing the likes of Lake Avenue.

Then, the afternoon ends on the weeds with a couple turf races.

Race 9 is the New York Stakes:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1200474
    with everyone's favorite grey haired, misspelled miss, Harvey's Lil Goil.

Race 10 is the Belmont Gold Cup:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1333860
    It's a 2 mile race for $400K and I don't know any of these horses. Frankly I don't care much about this one. I hope it is a good race. I'm looking to Saturday's card in the next post.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Doozy

Saturday's Card is a winner. Lot's of familiar names and great competition in some races. Something for everyone.

Race 1 - Start you off with a bunch of 2YO maidens (something for everyone):
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...414&param3=345
    #4 Wit is by the young sire Practical Joke. He is the most expensive (auction sold) horse in the bunch and shows the best workouts.

Race 3 - The Woody Stephens.
    I remember when Woody Stephens owned the Belmont Stakes. I think he won it 5 years in a row.
    Woody was a very humble, soft-spoken man. Great horseman.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...242&param3=345
    If I didn't know better, I would have guessed in April that this was a prep for the Kentucky Derby.
    This race pits: Caddo River, Drain The Clock, Jackie's Warrior, and Dream Shake against each other in a 7f throw down. These are the top speed horses from the prep races. I think it is a Drain The Clock/Jackie's Warrior Exacta Box (i.e., Quinella for you Jai Alai guys). Almost as good as the Belmont because this is a sprint for sprinters.

Race 4 - The Brooklyn Handicap for 1.5M
    I remember Brooklyn (I was born there to be near my mother).
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=533544
    Not the best set of Handicap horses in the world. When the purse money is more than the horses have won, that says something about the field.
    Moretti and Lone Rock might be the best (said advisedly); not that I'd complain if I owned even the worst of them.

Race 5 - The Acorn
    The first jewel in the triple Tiara for 3YO fillies.
    Notice, there is no 3rd jewel after the KY Oaks and Black Eyed Susan, but there is a triple tiara in NY.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=666930
    Small but select field of 6.
    Search Results vs. Travel Office. Dayattheoffice might have something to say.

Race 6 - The Jaipur (Turf)
    Fast Boat vs. Gregorian Court

Race 7 - The Ogden Phipps
    Phipps was not just a great owner and breeder, but a compass for racing integrity. We need more guys like that. Claude "Shugg" McGaughey was his longtime trainer and also shares his values. Always glad to see a big race named after good people.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=933702
    Yet another RACE OF THE DAY if it was any other day.
    Swiss Skydiver, Shedaresthedevil, Valiance, Letruska, and Bonny South. They all have credentials to win this. Where is Monomoy Girl?
    If Swiss Skydiver goes back to last year's form, she wins. Otherwise, it is close between Letruska and Shedaresthedevil. Body language and track conditions would guide my bet here.

Race 8 - Just A Game (turf)

Race 9 - Metropolitan
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1200474
    Knicks Go vs. Mischievious Alex and By My Standards.
    Has Knicks Go recovered from his trip to Asia?
    Did By My Standards do the right thing by scratching from the Sexton Mile?
    Is Mischievious Alex as real a deal at Belmont as he was at Aqueduct?

Race 10 - the Manhattan (750k - Turf)
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1333860
    Colonel Liam vs. Channel Cat vs. Gufo.
    Gufo seems to always almost get there; but Belmont has a really long turf stretch. He gets there.

Race 11 - the Belmont
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1467246
    I don't know these horses.
    Perhaps I'll comment later or tomorrow

Larry
    DevilHorse

I just took a look at the entries and post positions. Unlike the Derby, it appears from historical winners, there are no terrible posts except maybe outside post 11. This looks like a much better race than the Preakness. The best Derby horses, minus the drugged winner and Mandaloun are all back. I will take a close look at Essential Quality again. He only lost me money one time so far.