Page 34 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Pleeeeeeeze tell me that the baseball and lacrosse games won’t overlap on Saturday.

How sweet it is!

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Pleeeeeeeze tell me that the baseball and lacrosse games won’t overlap on Saturday.
    Looks like baseball at 1, lacrosse at 2:30...

If I am reading this correctly, for baseball we won Pool D so play in the early game at 1. Lax game is at 2:30. So the later baseball game at 5 would have been preferable as it would have been a perfect doubleheader.

https://theacc.com/news/2021/5/23/sc...mpionship.aspx

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I've been following along with the posts that talk about how confusing the tournament setup is, and how it leads to useless games. It's a bit head scratching as to why and how they've come up with this as a sane idea.

And then I read this from FSU's coach when he talked about it prior to yesterday's game. For a team that knows they will be playing again, it does make sense, even though this weekend might not work out in their favor. I liken it to Ol' Roy not caring about the basketball tournament.

Because the Seminoles finished fifth in the ACC, they will need to win both games against Duke and Miami because of tiebreaker rules. Seminoles head coach Mike Martin Jr. says he didn't like the pool set up at first, but now he understands why the conference does it heading into NCAA Regionals.

"The most important time is the following week," Martin Jr. said. "Back in the day, I didn't like it, but I've seen what happens to arms and guys getting hurt and going through a grind of playing twice a day with the old format that we used to have.

"I just think it is better to do it this way. Yeah, it can be frustrating with the higher seed, and everyone is 1-1, and this meaningless game and all the different scenarios. But it sets up your pitching, and it doesn't tax you so much that you run into issues the following week."
    https://www.tallahassee.com/story/no...mi/5232697001/
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If I am reading this correctly, for baseball we won Pool D so play in the early game at 1. Lax game is at 2:30. So the later baseball game at 5 would have been preferable as it would have been a perfect doubleheader.
    Duke will play the winner of the ND-Virginia game (Pool A) which is tomorrow at 11am. At least Duke gets an extra day of rest.

The other two semi-final teams will be decided today: Louisville-GT at 3pm (Pool B) and Pitt-NCState at 7pm (Pool C). Tomorrow's 2nd and 3rd games are irrelevant, if I understand correctly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Duke will play the winner of the ND-Virginia game (Pool A) which is tomorrow at 11am. At least Duke gets an extra day of rest.

The other two semi-final teams will be decided today: Louisville-GT at 3pm (Pool B) and Pitt-NCState at 7pm (Pool C). Tomorrow's 2nd and 3rd games are irrelevant, if I understand correctly.
    I keep searching in your comment, and just can't find Carolina's name anywhere!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nope, Pitt did them in on Tuesday! 9F

The ice bath homer from Rothenberg.

https://twitter.com/NCAACWS/status/1...052280325?s=20

Nice bat flip and backwards walk towards first while pounding his chest! He earned that!!

In the post game comments, Pollard talked about how much of a struggle it was for Rothenberg to decide if he wanted to return, or go as a free agent in his pro career. (Since the draft was shortened.)
    Before Pollard hit the media room, they crossed paths in the hallways as Rothenberg left, and Pollard said he told him "That's what you came back for".

I thought beating the Florida schools was enough to be crowned ACC Champions?

dunno when the lacrosse game is but TheACC.com says:

Rothenberg’s one-out home run in the bottom of the ninth inning lifted the No. 9-seeded Blue Devils to a 3-2 win over fourth-seeded Miami, clinching the Pool D championship and sending Duke into Saturday’s 1 p.m. semifinal game.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Somebody over in Orange County mislabeled the pool of teams as class of teams, so they didn’t show up.

I've been following along with the posts that talk about how confusing the tournament setup is, and how it leads to useless games. It's a bit head scratching as to why and how they've come up with this as a sane idea.

And then I read this from FSU's coach when he talked about it prior to yesterday's game. For a team that knows they will be playing again, it does make sense, even though this weekend might not work out in their favor. I liken it to Ol' Roy not caring about the basketball tournament.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/no...mi/5232697001/
    But I still don't see why this is superior than having the two lower seeds in the pod play an elimination game, followed by the winning team playing the highest seed in a single elimination game. There's no reason to ever have a game between the highest seed in the pod and the loser of the game between the two lowest seeds.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    But I still don't see why this is superior than having the two lower seeds in the pod play an elimination game, followed by the winning team playing the highest seed in a single elimination game. There's no reason to ever have a game between the highest seed in the pod and the loser of the game between the two lowest seeds.
    That's where I'm at PFR.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

The ice bath homer from Rothenberg.

https://twitter.com/NCAACWS/status/1...052280325?s=20
    That was awesome!. This is too. Take a listen to the radio call from Chris Edwards. Gives me chills!

https://soundcloud.com/hrisdwards/mi...ds%252Fmiamihr
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Oddly, Miami want it just as a chance for redemption. (Obviously that won't apply to everyone.)

FSU has beaten Miami in their first three games by a combined score of 31 to 2. POW!!! Right in the kisser!

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    That's where I'm at PFR.
    Exactly!

. There's no reason to ever have a game between the highest seed in the pod and the loser of the game between the two lowest seeds.
    There are a number of counter-arguments to this. Is it fair for a semifinal game to match a team playing its third game against a team playing its second game? Is a game between rivals like Miami and Florida State or UNC and NC State ever really meaningless?

But most importantly, many of these teams need a win to burnish their NCAA credentials. It might be to get off the bubble and into the tournament or move from a three seed to a two seed or a two seed to a one seed. But the RPI doesn't consider these games to be meaningless exhibition games and the NCAA Selection Committee certainly doesn't.