Page 711 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 211611661701709710711712713721761811 ... LastLast
Results 14,201 to 14,220 of 22195
    Schools are dropping it here .but on the bus its required.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Went to Food Lion this morning. they have dropped the mask requirement for customers but kept it for employees. the only people in the store NOT wearing masks this morning were three Durham Firefighters. Rather disappointed in them.

Going out to eat w/family for the first time in over a year. With seating limits gone and "graduation" going on in Crapel Hell, I fear a full house. Will wear mask when not eating.
    Similar experience here. I went into Publix this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that every customer and employee was wearing a mask -- though I can't say whether that might have been because few people are yet aware of the change in policy that was just announced late yesterday. On my way out, I happened to pass a manager standing by the security guard, and I paused to ask him about the news that Publix was dropping the mask requirement for vaccinated customers. He said they were waiting for follow-up guidance from company management, but agreed that it was comforting to see continued compliance for now, and that it would have been preferable to wait a month or so to get a higher percentage of the population vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Schools are dropping it here .but on the bus its required.
    Wow where do you live? Schools aren't even open in my district (including high school where all students have been offer d vaccines), let alone dropping a mask requirement. My district is anamolous for the area though and had been the most cautious/restrictive about reopening. They hope to open full time next fall...first school board meeting in person this month (masked, distanced).

Lowest cast totals since June 24 (33,100) and lowest death totals since July 9 (613). Seven-day averages per Worldometer.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Lowest cast totals since June 24 (33,100) and lowest death totals since July 9 (613). Seven-day averages per Worldometer.
    That 613 a day for deaths annualized would put us at 224k, which would keep us in the top 4 between India and Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That 613 a day for deaths annualized would put us at 224k, which would keep us in the top 4 between India and Mexico.
    Interesting. Is that adjusted for population size?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Similar experience here. I went into Publix this morning and was pleasantly surprised to find that every customer and employee was wearing a mask -- though I can't say whether that might have been because few people are yet aware of the change in policy that was just announced late yesterday. On my way out, I happened to pass a manager standing by the security guard, and I paused to ask him about the news that Publix was dropping the mask requirement for vaccinated customers. He said they were waiting for follow-up guidance from company management, but agreed that it was comforting to see continued compliance for now, and that it would have been preferable to wait a month or so to get a higher percentage of the population vaccinated.
    I was very surprised and disappointed that Publix dropped the requirement, especially since they were so on board with masking from the very beginning. Even when Desantis dropped the mandate in Florida back in the fall, Publix stuck with theirs.

I was very surprised and disappointed that Publix dropped the requirement, especially since they were so on board with masking from the very beginning. Even when Desantis dropped the mandate in Florida back in the fall, Publix stuck with theirs.
    I'm guessing they don't want to set up their staff for the (sadly inevitable) battles.

-jk

Without going too PPB, Publix has a strong financial affiliation with the GOP. Part of why I was so pleasantly surprised when our local was at the forefront of being pro-active in early COVID-19.

So we got an email from our bishop last night explaining "new rules" for our church meetings, starting today.

1) No more spacing in the chapel. We had been blocking off every other row, but that went away.

2) Fully vaccinated people need not wear masks. Any and all are ALLOWED to wear masks, but not required.

I half-expected to see a chapel full to the brim with unmasked people, but in reality at least 60% of the congregation was still masked. Several people that I am sure are fully vaccinated were still wearing masks.

Spacing in the chapel was certainly tighter than last week, but nowhere near back to pre-pandemic days; the congregation still spilled way over into the overflow area, where chairs had been set up.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves over the next few weeks. FWIW, the bishop told me personally that his email "blew up" after he sent out the announcement of the "new rules." He said about half were "Woo-hoo! About time!" and the other half were worried it was too much relaxing of the protocol too soon, or worried that wearing a mask would "out them" to their fellow worshippers as unvaccinated people. For today, they really didn't need to worry about it.

One last observation: I noticed that the oldest, frailest people in the congregation were pretty much all unmasked, while younger, healthier counterparts that have likely been vaccinated continued to wear their masks. I thought this was interesting, but I haven't the faintest idea what it means, if anything.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    So we got an email from our bishop last night explaining "new rules" for our church meetings, starting today.

1) No more spacing in the chapel. We had been blocking off every other row, but that went away.

2) Fully vaccinated people need not wear masks. Any and all are ALLOWED to wear masks, but not required.

I half-expected to see a chapel full to the brim with unmasked people, but in reality at least 60% of the congregation was still masked. Several people that I am sure are fully vaccinated were still wearing masks.

Spacing in the chapel was certainly tighter than last week, but nowhere near back to pre-pandemic days; the congregation still spilled way over into the overflow area, where chairs had been set up.

It will be interesting to see how this evolves over the next few weeks. FWIW, the bishop told me personally that his email "blew up" after he sent out the announcement of the "new rules." He said about half were "Woo-hoo! About time!" and the other half were worried it was too much relaxing of the protocol too soon, or worried that wearing a mask would "out them" to their fellow worshippers as unvaccinated people. For today, they really didn't need to worry about it.

One last observation: I noticed that the oldest, frailest people in the congregation were pretty much all unmasked, while younger, healthier counterparts that have likely been vaccinated continued to wear their masks. I thought this was interesting, but I haven't the faintest idea what it means, if anything.
    I'm not sure what your definition of the younger and healthier is, but I think people are still have frequent contact with those who are not vaccinated are staying cautious. This particularly applies to people with kids. My kids are just below the vaccination age (older one is 10). I know very well that younger kids are less at risk but nevertheless, though the numbers have improved a lot, they are not to the point where I am just opening up. Especially since I live in NYC so I am constantly in high density situations - I was probably within six feet of more people by noon today than most others are in a week while taking a few bus rides, sitting at an indoor activity with my son, walking around the neighborhood (including past a lot of outdoor restaurants) and entering and leaving my building.

I have been wearing masks for over a year, so at this point, it doesn't really bother me that much. If I am walking down the street in areas that aren't too crowded, I am now increasingly likely to put my mask below my chin even if I am occasionally walking past people. I have definitely noticed more people walking around outdoors without masks, but the majority still have them on, and many of those who don't have them around their chin or otherwise readily available.

But to your point and what several others have said, I think a lot of places are struggling with what the right answer is. Wearing masks for the rest of our lives is not the right answer. But how much to let up and when is still very uncertain. It seems like this decision came out of the blue, was poorly messaged, and probably was a few weeks early - my non-scientific take is that we are really close but not quite there.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    So the CDC says I don’t have to wear a mask but the business says I do because why? I guess I just don’t understand how a business would know better than the CDC in regards to masks. Just a strange world to live in right now.
    It's the wrong question. It isn't about you. It's about the effect of telling people that they don't have to wear masks. You might be fully vaccinated, but lots of people (the majority, still, in fact) are not. How does a business tell the sheep from the goats? And some of the goats will take their masks off, if they haven't already. So that makes them all goats.

The new CDC guidance is lovely in theory. But it seems to me that it is quite problematic in actual practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    It's the wrong question. It isn't about you. It's about the effect of telling people that they don't have to wear masks. You might be fully vaccinated, but lots of people (the majority, still, in fact) are not. How does a business tell the sheep from the goats? And some of the goats will take their masks off, if they haven't already. So that makes them all goats.

The new CDC guidance is lovely in theory. But it seems to me that it is quite problematic in actual practice.
    I just assumed the CDC had taken the non-compliance mask wearers that aren’t vaccinated into the equation.

Look, this is WAY out of my wheelhouse. I am a nurse who works on EMR software for EPIC. I have no expertise in this field that we are talking about so the only thing I can rely on is CDC guidelines. They are the experts in my eyes so I defer to them and will listen to their guidance. If they say I don’t need to wear a mask when I go to Target, I won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I just assumed the CDC had taken the non-compliance mask wearers that aren’t vaccinated into the equation.

Look, this is WAY out of my wheelhouse. I am a nurse who works on EMR software for EPIC. I have no expertise in this field that we are talking about so the only thing I can rely on is CDC guidelines. They are the experts in my eyes so I defer to them and will listen to their guidance. If they say I don’t need to wear a mask when I go to Target, I won’t.
    The CDC’s response has, imho, been clumsy throughout the pandemic.

The vaccines work way better than I expected, and I’m hopeful, but all the current efficacy data are based on people wearing masks. The data will change once masks and distancing are seen as optional, which apparently is now?

I’ve been vaccinated for months and have no particular risk factors, but I don’t see why I should quit wearing masks when I engage in activities that put me at elevated risk. Going to a place of worship is important, for example, but there’s no reason why, in 2021, people should wedge into pews, maskless, and then sing into the neck of the people in front of them. It’s just dumb. Similarly, ain’t no way I’m going to put the health of my loved ones (and me) into the hands of random Walmart or grocery store shoppers by going out of my way to suck down the unfiltered exhalations of my neighbors. Even if the government is only interested in goosing brick-and-mortar commerce, I gotta think the numbers of shoppers will decline once maskless shoppers predominate.

And before we start beating our chest over our success, let’s look at our poorer neighbors and make a real difference globally. This is from The NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/o...gtype=Homepage

What is the current rate of death or hospitalizations from break-through cases? That seems to be a pretty important factor here.

From my perspective, I am not an expert. The CDC said to wear masks and social distance, so I did because they know better than I do. The FDA said to stick a vaccine in my arm twice, so I did because they are the experts not me.

Now, the CDC says I can go without masks in certain circumstances if I do not have any co-morbidities. Why should I suddenly think that I know more than they do?

Serious question. It seems I can’t tell folks to follow the science and the advice of experts up to this point, and then ignore those same things now.

^^^ and I don’t mean this as a challenge to those who want to be more conservative than the CDC guidelines. I respect that. But I am genuinely trying to find where the line is, as are we all.

Talked to my sis in the UK today. The UK is down to 7 deaths per day and they still maintain a very cautious approach to covid. We are at 500 deaths a day and we are all systems go back to normal apparently. It just doesn’t feel right to me. I am head of a team of about 100+ engineers. I know that many of them are extremely concerned. I also know that there are a lot of forces in my company to have people back at work. So far the company has said that they are evaluating the latest CDC guidelines. I am interested to know of other peoples thoughts on returning to work and being in close contact through office seating and small meeting rooms etc.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

As a teacher who’s been in the classroom since October, I’m having trouble mustering a great deal of patience or sympathy for those who howled at us for weeks to get back to work ASAP, but who now are feeling such trepidation at going back to their own offices.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Talked to my sis in the UK today. The UK is down to 7 deaths per day and they still maintain a very cautious approach to covid. We are at 500 deaths a day and we are all systems go back to normal apparently. It just doesn’t feel right to me. I am head of a team of about 100+ engineers. I know that many of them are extremely concerned. I also know that there are a lot of forces in my company to have people back at work. So far the company has said that they are evaluating the latest CDC guidelines. I am interested to know of other peoples thoughts on returning to work and being in close contact through office seating and small meeting rooms etc.
    That seems like apples to oranges to me. US has a population density of 91.9 per square mile spread over 331,499,281 square miles. UK has a population density of 275 per square mile spread over 93,630 square miles. Quite a difference. Much more open space in the US - between those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Our company’s Phase 1 return is 20% capacity at corporate HQ beginning in July. That’s plan today. It could obviously change. Subsequent phases as appropriate. Flexible work arrangement discussions must be had with managers. Vaccines not mandated but strongly encouraged.

That’s about what we know for now.