Page 2034 of 3362 FirstFirst ... 103415341934198420242032203320342035203620442084213425343034 ... LastLast
Results 40,661 to 40,680 of 67238
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Ok - you are imagining something way different than what the reality was, so, I'll tell you. The Navy Seal and I were on the same team in a trivia contest conducted between the 1st and 2nd periods of a Harvard hockey game. One of the questions was "How many Ivy League Championships have been won by the Harvard men's hockey team?" and I looked up at the Ivy League Champions banner hanging above the rink and counted the years listed on the men's side. I said however many it was, he said, "How did you know that?" I pointed to the banner and said, "I counted." He looked at me with what I remember as a fair bit of admiration and said, "That's some very good situational awareness." (I do find in life that I am more aware of my surroundings than the average person.)

The Irish maternity nurse gave me the complement when I had to go to the NICU to nurse T-Bone (his birth was an emergency situation and he spent 2 days in the NICU), she said that they could get me a wheelchair and I responded with, "I can walk!" and she responded with, "Oh, you're a hard _ _ _" and I said, "Thank you."
    Both very cool but also both not knife fights in a Russian bathhouse, which is what I was imagining.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Both very cool but also both not knife fights in a Russian bathhouse, which is what I was imagining.
    Aimo has done that like 6 times I bet.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I don't get into fights, I break them up.

Another true story from the Bostondevil thinks she's a bad _ _ _ vault. I'm at karaoke with a bunch of theater friends. Our favorite karaoke bar (the late, great Sports Depot in Waltham), had karaoke on one side of the bar and pool rooms on the other. We theater karaoke types usually shut the place down but one night I'm heading out early and as I step between two 20 somethings (who have come from the pool rooms) to leave, I can tell that words are being exchanged. I come to a dead stop between them. I look from one to the other and decide on the spot who is the drunkest and/or biggest hothead then turn to the other. By then I have noticed each has a wing man. I say to the less drunk of the two, "Are y'all looking to spend the night in lock up?", thinking that a mom with a Southern accent in a Boston area bar might get some cover. More words are exchanged over my head. I go to the wing man of the less drunk one while shaking my head indicating that he is supposed to say no, "Hey, he gets himself arrested are you going to bail him out?" "No." I turn back to the less drunk one, "Do you really want to get arrested tonight?" "No." "Then walk away. I'm going to stand here until you walk away. And you, wing man, it's your job to make sure he doesn't come back cause I'm not staying much longer." Then I turn to the drunker one and I say, "I have had to bail my own son out one too many times. If your mother was going to be the one bailing you out, I decided to save her the trouble, one mom to another." And then I look over at my male theater buddy who has watched this whole encounter and I feel terrible. He knew something was up and he has this, oh geez, what has Bostondevil done this time and am I going to have to go rescue her look on his face. What a great dude. I had my own, very reluctant, wing man and I didn't even know it. I said, "No worries, problem over. Sorry about that." Then I left. Reports from my theater friends, no fight happened that night. (I have never had to bail any of my sons out of jail. White lies.)

I don't get into fights, I break them up.

Another true story from the Bostondevil thinks she's a bad _ _ _ vault. I'm at karaoke with a bunch of theater friends. Our favorite karaoke bar (the late, great Sports Depot in Waltham), had karaoke on one side of the bar and pool rooms on the other. We theater karaoke types usually shut the place down but one night I'm heading out early and as I step between two 20 somethings (who have come from the pool rooms) to leave, I can tell that words are being exchanged. I come to a dead stop between them. I look from one to the other and decide on the spot who is the drunkest and/or biggest hothead then turn to the other. By then I have noticed each has a wing man. I say to the less drunk of the two, "Are y'all looking to spend the night in lock up?", thinking that a mom with a Southern accent in a Boston area bar might get some cover. More words are exchanged over my head. I go to the wing man of the less drunk one while shaking my head indicating that he is supposed to say no, "Hey, he gets himself arrested are you going to bail him out?" "No." I turn back to the less drunk one, "Do you really want to get arrested tonight?" "No." "Then walk away. I'm going to stand here until you walk away. And you, wing man, it's your job to make sure he doesn't come back cause I'm not staying much longer." Then I turn to the drunker one and I say, "I have had to bail my own son out one too many times. If your mother was going to be the one bailing you out, I decided to save her the trouble, one mom to another." And then I look over at my male theater buddy who has watched this whole encounter and I feel terrible. He knew something was up and he has this, oh geez, what has Bostondevil done this time and am I going to have to go rescue her look on his face. What a great dude. I had my own, very reluctant, wing man and I didn't even know it. I said, "No worries, problem over. Sorry about that." Then I left. Reports from my theater friends, no fight happened that night. (I have never had to bail any of my sons out of jail. White lies.)
    That's strong!!!!

Oh - and I completely believe Viggo would win every single knife fight in a Russian bathhhouse.

Breaking out the grill for the first time this season.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    That's strong!!!!
    Or foolish.

I was just twisting a top off a Mayo jar and lost my grip. The top went flying out of my hand, hit the counter and then bounced into my water cup where it promptly dispersed its goop into my drink.

I may need to call it a night.

I was just twisting a top off a Mayo jar and lost my grip. The top went flying out of my hand, hit the counter and then bounced into my water cup where it promptly dispersed its goop into my drink.

I may need to call it a night.
    That's the weirdest way to play quarters I've ever heard of!

That's the weirdest way to play quarters I've ever heard of!
    Yeah. If I was at a carnival, I would have won a teddy bear. I hope this doesn’t mean my luck is about to nosedive. Sometimes I feel like life comes at you in waves.

Pinto beans w/onions, fried fatback, garlic toast. My favorite meal from childhood. We had a big pot of beans on Mondays, then ate leftovers until about Thursday. Never got tired of it.

(The wife is out of town. She won’t let me cook it/eat it when she’s home. She also insists that I indulge at least 24 hours before she returns ... sort of a cooling off period.)

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I legitimately don't see how I can ever move past this. Seeing friends and family as bad people is hard to recover from.
    For me, the definition of who gets to be considered my friend or family has shifted.

Oh - and I completely believe Viggo would win every single knife fight in a Russian bathhhouse.
    Hah. That was a SCENE!

Hah. That was a SCENE!
    He isn't my "get out of jail free" guy, but I have long believed that Viggo secretly wants me.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    She also insists that I indulge at least 24 hours before she returns ... sort of a cooling off period.
    Great gas giants dissolve that quickly?

For the first grilling of the season we are going with burgers with blue cheese, balsamic mushrooms and roast garlic.

Breaking out the grill for the first time this season.
    Mine never goes away. Grilling in the snow is fun! Thunderstorms, less so.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Mine never goes away. Grilling in the snow is fun! Thunderstorms, less so.

-jk
    Yeah, I used to enjoy a good beer and snow grill session.

Last couple years haven’t done it.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    For me, the definition of who gets to be considered my friend or family has shifted.
    Yes. Thats right.

Sadly, I've known for a long time that public health was not a concern for most people, but I did still believe that we would pull together as Americans against a common threat if it every really came down to it. That's out the window.

I haven't really lost any friends, but I have lost a willingness to listen to the opinions of a bunch of them. If I can't respect your intelligence, I don't give your thoughts on any policy issues much weight.
    Last edited by Bostondevil; 05-15-2021 at 07:46 PM.