Page 705 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 205605655695703704705706707715755805 ... LastLast
Results 14,081 to 14,100 of 22195
    A slightly discouraging case of breakthrough covid. Damian Lee, a 28yo NBA player, got his J&J vaccine on March 22. He tested positive on April 21 and reports:

I had headache, chills, sneezing, congestion, soreness, body aches," Lee said. "It felt like I was hit by a car. Like hit by two cars at once every step I took. It hurt, it was pain, soreness. It felt like there was a weight on my chest for a couple of days, like it was just hard to breathe."

Lee's, who hasn't played since April 19, tested positive on April 21. He has been cleared to return to the Warriors' facility and sat on the team bench during Thursday's game. But he hasn't been able to resume basketball activities yet due to ongoing symptoms.

Obviously avoiding hospitalization and death is what counts in the big picture. But in this particular case a young vaccinated athlete came down with a non-trivial symptomatic case and continues to have lingering symptoms 3 or 4 weeks later. Symptoms bad enough to prevent him from participating in athletics for a team that badly needs him now (Warriors are desperate - down to 8 healthy usable players in a down to the wire fight for decent playoff seeding.)

Still - get your vaccine people. No one knows for sure - but it is likely his case would have been much worse if he hadn’t been vaccinated.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/4989411001/

Honey Bees to Test for COVID?

This WaPo science article describes Dutch research where honey bees are trained, using Pavlovian methods (rewards), to identify sample swabs with the presence of COVID. May be especially useful in lower income countries that may not have readily available the materials for PCR techniques.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This WaPo science article describes Dutch research where honey bees are trained, using Pavlovian methods (rewards), to identify sample swabs with the presence of COVID. May be especially useful in lower income countries that may not have readily available the materials for PCR techniques.
    As if the honey bee population didn’t have enough problems, now we’re trying to give them COVID?! Joking aside, interesting research.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Interesting. Similar to a study of bees that have been trained to identify who has received a vaccine and who has not.

These bees have been trained so that they do a little circle around the head of the vaccinated (ie, a halo), and they then divide the unvaccinated into 2 groups:
    1. unvaccinated + allergic to bees —>4 “chaser” bees who keep their humans socially distanced. For humans who can duck into a home or car, these bees have been trained to be patient and renew their work when the humans try to go somewhere else. They have also been trained to reach out for reinforcements. Unvaccinated humans, it appears, tend to hang out in loosely-affiliated packs.

2. Unvaccinated + not allergic to bees —>2 bees chase and 2 bees sting.

The bees have also been trained to buzz quietly but relentlessly when confronted with theories about vaccines, personal liberty, Bill Gates, threats, and anti bee killer fog. At some point, however, these bees quit listening and just go for the eyeballs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Interesting. Similar to a study of bees that have been trained to identify who has received a vaccine and who has not.

These bees have been trained so that they do a little circle around the head of the vaccinated (ie, a halo), and they then divide the unvaccinated into 2 groups:
    1. unvaccinated + allergic to bees —>4 “chaser” bees who keep their humans socially distanced. For humans who can duck into a home or car, these bees have been trained to be patient and renew their work when the humans try to go somewhere else. They have also been trained to reach out for reinforcements. Unvaccinated humans, it appears, tend to hang out in loosely-affiliated packs.

2. Unvaccinated + not allergic to bees —>2 bees chase and 2 bees sting.

The bees have also been trained to buzz quietly but relentlessly when confronted with theories about vaccines, personal liberty, Bill Gates, threats, and anti bee killer fog. At some point, however, these bees quit listening and just go for the eyeballs.
    I hear that similar research has been done with yellowjackets. They have been trained to follow and relentlessly sting the unvaccinated.

Unfortunately, efforts to train yellowjackets to NOT sting the vaccinated have failed.

Sign of the COVIDocalypse?

Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

At least they’re not Yuan Stores. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    At least they’re not dogecoin Stores. Yet.
    FIFY

We have 3 million full doses administered in S.C. according to the news .i have seen case counts between 300 and 500 a day . Im just ready to get back to some normalcy .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    We have 3 million full doses administered in S.C. according to the news .i have seen case counts between 300 and 500 a day . I'm just ready to get back to some normalcy .
    Here is a pic from the Brown School of Public Health COVID risk website. The NC and SC trends are good, but the risk level (for the unvaccinated) is still worrisome. Where I live, in Greenville county SC, the level is Orange (Accelerated spread). Of course that is much better than it was during the winter when we were a factor of 5 above the Red "Tipping Point" level.

green-yellow-orange-red.jpg

NC-SC-COVID-risk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Here is a pic from the Brown School of Public Health COVID risk website. The NC and SC trends are good, but the risk level (for the unvaccinated) is still worrisome. Where I live, in Greenville county SC, the level is Orange (Accelerated spread). Of course that is much better than it was during the winter when we were a factor of 5 above the Red "Tipping Point" level.

NC-SC-COVID-risk.jpg
    If we can round up the stragglers we could be in great shape .
    Some just wont get vaccinated no matter what .
    If we can squeeze another 500 k to a million that would put us at close to 80 pct .

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    If we can round up the stragglers we could be in great shape .
    Some just wont get vaccinated no matter what .
    If we can squeeze another 500 k to a million that would put us at close to 80 pct .
    BTW, I find it quaint* that the explanation of the various risk levels has "rigorous test and trace" as viable strategies.

*Quaint? Naive perhaps.

FWIW, we had dinner with an old friend of ours, former nurse, and she's doing volunteer contact tracing, primarily with companies with lots of personnel...she finds it fascinating, employers have been very good to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

NC-SC-COVID-risk.jpg
    This whole framework seems pretty dated - not sure these same metrics are as valid in the post-vax (in terms of most of the high risk population) stage. I live in Illinois (also deemed orange), and there is certainly is not a perception that we are in a state of elevated risk at the moment. Even our generally risk-averse Governor has indicated the state may fully reopen as soon as June 11.

DC lifting restrictions

Washington, DC, the Nation”s capital, has been very cautious about Covid, but is lifting capacity restrictions May 21 and lifting all restrictions in June.

https://dcist.com/story/21/05/10/dc-...ening-by-june/

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Washington, DC, the Nation”s capital, has been very cautious about Covid, but is lifting capacity restrictions May 21 and lifting all restrictions in June.

https://dcist.com/story/21/05/10/dc-...ening-by-june/
    Except the brides are up in arms as Mu Bowser has forbidden dancing or standing around at weddings.
    Droves are moving weddings to MD or VA and there has been an outcry from hotels, planners, bands, etc.
    Mu may have to backtrack.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Except the brides are up in arms as Mu Bowser has forbidden dancing or standing around at weddings.
    Droves are moving weddings to MD or VA and there has been an outcry from hotels, planners, bands, etc.
    Mu may have to backtrack.
    Wonder what she thinks about sex. Ya know that can lead to dancing.

An editorial in today's WSJ cites a recent University of Chicago study concluding that many workplaces and schools were actually safer - in terms of preventing COVID spread - than the home, due to extensive safety protocols and other prevention measures.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lockdow...=hp_opin_pos_3

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/..._2021-51-1.pdf

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but hopefully this can at least inform how we proceed from here on COVID, and handle the next pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    An editorial in today's WSJ cites a recent University of Chicago study concluding that many workplaces and schools were actually safer - in terms of preventing COVID spread - than the home, due to extensive safety protocols and other prevention measures.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/lockdow...=hp_opin_pos_3

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/wp-content/..._2021-51-1.pdf

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but hopefully this can at least inform how we proceed from here on COVID, and handle the next pandemic.
    I’m assuming this is because most schools and workplaces made people stay home if they triggered any one of many risk factors for Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I’m assuming this is because most schools and workplaces made people stay home if they triggered any one of many risk factors for Covid.
    Except that wouldn't account for the asymptomatic and mildly symptomatic cases that have apparently been the major drivers of community spread