Welcome to New York, Michael Carter II

Should probably be one thread for Duke football players being drafted (hoping that more will follow), but Michael Carter II was drafted in the 5th round by the New York Jets. Didn’t want him to be forgotten. Great versatility, and the Jets can use help. Lots of help. Good luck to him.

Congratulations Michael Carter

Michael Carter to the NY Jets in the 5th round.
    Bob Green

Congratulations!

In one of the stranger happenstances of this draft, Michael Carter isn't the first Michael Carter that the Jets have drafted today.
    Several picks earlier, the Jets drafted the UNC RB by the same name, no numerals.

Note the following feed tracking the jovial greeting between the new teammates:
    https://twitter.com/mcarter2nd/statu...60718488907782

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0Us0UyX...jpg&name=small

Welcome to the Jets Michael!

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    In one of the stranger happenstances of this draft, Michael Carter isn't the first Michael Carter that the Jets have drafted today.
    Several picks earlier, the Jets drafted the UNC RB by the same name, no numerals.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    I was so confused! As an (unfortunate) Jets fan, I just lamented this morning that we drafted Tar Heel Michael Carter. I didn't realize we got the good one, too!

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    I was so confused! As an (unfortunate) Jets fan, I just lamented this morning that we drafted Tar Heel Michael Carter. I didn't realize we got the good one, too!
    RealTime DejaVu!

Is it DejaVu when it isn't?

Larry
    DevilHorse

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Best tweet was about selecting a father and son in the same draft.

Pleased with ESPN Coverage

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    For one thing, they have highlights on hundreds of players, with that "ground halo" showing the featured player.

I am also pleased that in the highlights I saw of the many UNC players drafted, I didn't see any against Duke. And, given our p-poor performance last fall, I am sure there were many. many UNC highlights that could have been shown.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Best tweet was about selecting a father and son in the same draft.
    That is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Should probably be one thread for Duke football players being drafted (hoping that more will follow), but Michael Carter II was drafted in the 5th round by the New York Jets. Didn’t want him to be forgotten. Great versatility, and the Jets can use help. Lots of help. Good luck to him.
    Wow, 3 Dukies picked in the 1st 5 rounds of the NFL 2021 draft. The 2020 Duke team must have been special. I’ll have to google our results.🤔

Larry
    DevilHorse
    During the announcement of the running back MC, ESPN flashed to two defensive plays by our MC, by accident, and then moved to the actual pick. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow, 3 Dukies picked in the 1st 5 rounds of the NFL 2021 draft. The 2020 Duke team must have been special. I’ll have to google our results.🤔
    So... even with the season results, looks like the football players were noticed in a good way. Does this help with recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    So... even with the season results, looks like the football players were noticed in a good way. Does this help with recruiting?
    I think it could help if we push the narrative with HS recruits this fall. Also if Jones has a breakout season, maybe we get a strong QB.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I think it could help if we push the narrative with HS recruits this fall. Also if Jones has a breakout season, maybe we get a strong QB.
    FWIW, we were T-20 among schools in number drafted.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    we also (unfortunately) had three guys transfer for their final year, some of whom could be drafted (Tangelo, Waters and Jordan) next year.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    And more drafted by NFL than NBA this year🤪

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    During the announcement of the running back MC, ESPN flashed to two defensive plays by our MC, by accident, and then moved to the actual pick. Ha.
    I am half-convinced that the Jests got confused and picked the wrong Michael Carter, then got bailed out when the right one was still out there a round later. (I know, the Jets had an earlier 5th round pick and let Duke's Michael Carter go by before drafting him later in the round - I'm just going to assume it took them that long to even realize they'd screwed up).
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I am half-convinced that the Jests got confused and picked the wrong Michael Carter, then got bailed out when the right one was still out there a round later. (I know, the Jets had an earlier 5th round pick and let Duke's Michael Carter go by before drafting him later in the round - I'm just going to assume it took them that long to even realize they'd screwed up).
    that was certainly my initial reaction, it's the Jets after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Coach Saleh was asked about confusion at the Jets' post draft news conference and he mentioned that ESPN got the picture wrong and he said, "Oh No." So he was aware of what he had drafted and of both players. He and the GM were very complimentary of MC II's speed and 'stickiness'.

Larry
    DevilHorse

North Carolina is just now finishing the high school football season with championships coming up this weekend. Perhaps there is some advantage to in-state colleges having been being able to monitor the progress of the Class of 2022 and 2023 recruits from North Carolina (if Mack Brown has left a few).