Page 6 of 82 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Kyle Filipowski had another big weekend at the KYDA Invitational. Link below has a few highlights. 6'10 forward - would love us to pick up the interest here given the lack of bigs we're projected to have in 2022.

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/st...586281991?s=20

That behind-the-back pass was nice.

Thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by jaywilliams22 View Post
    Kyle Filipowski had another big weekend at the KYDA Invitational. Link below has a few highlights. 6'10 forward - would love us to pick up the interest here given the lack of bigs we're projected to have in 2022.

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/st...586281991?s=20
    What a set of offensive skills on display here. Filipowksi also outplayed one of the top AAU teams, featuring a frontcourt Jalen Duren (#2 player in the Class of 2022 and projected G-League route) and Dereck Lively II (another Duke target, a 7'1" skilled and athletic big in the top 30 of the Class of 2022). The passing really impressed me in addition to the shooting form. Filipowski is going to be one of those kids that shoots up recruiting rankings. He kind of reminds me of Mo Wagner from Michigan, with a little of his brother Franz. Both of those guys are pros. With that shooting and passing ability at his size, Filipowski is going to be in demand.

One thing to note is that Kyle Filipowski has a twin brother, Matt, who plays the 5 alongside Kyle, who is more of a stretch 4. Matt Filipowski is an ok prospect -- he has offers from Pitt, Colombia, and Illinois -- but not someone Duke would ordinarily consider. It is not known if Kyle and Matt want to go to school together but if they do that could complicate things a bit.

Pitt may have an early edge in this as former Duke assistant Tim O'Toole is Jeff Capel's Associate Head Coach and O'Toole's son played AAU ball with the Filipowski twins.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    As much fun as it is watching a Zion or Tyus Jones for a year, I wish the NBA abolishes the one and done rule. I would vastly prefer team continuity year after year. With the one and done lure taking so many freshman now, and the transfer rules loosening, it seems there is just chaos in college hoops. Let pros be pros. Give me a roster of Melchionis, Quinn Cooks and Joey Bakers.
    Just a little quibble--there will be nothing to stop a player from still going OAD, even after the NBA rescinds the need to be clear of HS for a year before entering the draft. The top players will go straight to the league, but there will almost certainly be another wave of players that enter the draft after their freshman seasons. Just as there will be another group who enter after their sophomore seasons...and junior seasons. Now add to that the punishment-free first transfer, and we're not likely to regain the era of continuity in CBB. Of course, the guys you mention are more likely than most to stick around for awhile, but you're also not winning many games with those guys as the core of your rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    Give me a roster of Melchionis, Quinn Cooks and Joey Bakers.
    I would be concerned if we had a roster of Cooks and Bakers. Too many people in the kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Just a little quibble--there will be nothing to stop a player from still going OAD, even after the NBA rescinds the need to be clear of HS for a year before entering the draft. The top players will go straight to the league, but there will almost certainly be another wave of players that enter the draft after their freshman seasons. Just as there will be another group who enter after their sophomore seasons...and junior seasons. Now add to that the punishment-free first transfer, and we're not likely to regain the era of continuity in CBB. Of course, the guys you mention are more likely than most to stick around for awhile, but you're also not winning many games with those guys as the core of your rotation.
    This is an underrated point. Without one and done we still probably get and then lose Trent, Tyus, Jackson, Steward etc after their freshman years. Maybe even people like Zion who want and appreciate the college experience.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I would be concerned if we had a roster of Cooks and Bakers. Too many people in the kitchen.
    I loved Melchionni and Cook. Great guys and good players. I'd like to love Baker's play but he hasn't shown much.

A team of Melchionni, Cook, Baker and like players wouldn't go far.

You're right that there will be players who don't go pro straight out of high school, yet have great freshman seasons, then leave. But I think we've all seen the majority of Duke One and Dones would have gone straight to the pros.

Yes, there's instability regardless, but I would argue less of it, and it would be less unwise to recruit directly against the NBA. Too much wasted energy.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I loved Melchionni and Cook. Great guys and good players. I'd like to love Baker's play but he hasn't shown much.

A team of Melchionni, Cook, Baker and like players wouldn't go far.
    Complementary players need better players to complement.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    In all seriousness, this should be a t-shirt every DBR poster owns.

When all the stars are in the NBA, other stars shall shine.

Nice quips - the truth will land somewhere in the middle. In all this, I’m most curious about how aggressive Duke will become in pursuing transfers vs high schoolers. And will we, and others, be accused of “stealing players”?

I expect some angry fan bases when a late bloomer has a breakout freshman or sophomore year and then transfers “up” to a Duke or a Gonzaga.

Baseball’s is that a player can go straight to the pros out of high school. but if they go to college they are there for 3 years. MLB sets its own rule. I hope the NBA does something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    When all the stars are in the NBA, other stars shall shine.

Nice quips - the truth will land somewhere in the middle. In all this, I’m most curious about how aggressive Duke will become in pursuing transfers vs high schoolers. And will we, and others, be accused of “stealing players”?

I expect some angry fan bases when a late bloomer has a breakout freshman or sophomore year and then transfers “up” to a Duke or a Gonzaga.
    The world has changed, and the D-II coaches have realized they may be more of a JUCO system, with the guys who can play D-I moving up as soon as they get a good offer.

I still like my "summer camp" metaphor for the new age of college hoops. Every April the college players look around, much like teens going to summer camp, and decide where they want to report for hoops and classes in August. Then they decide. There may be limits on how often they can do that, but those also may fall by the wayside, too -- and there are always graduate transfers.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Baseball’s is that a player can go straight to the pros out of high school. but if they go to college they are there for 3 years. MLB sets its own rule. I hope the NBA does something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlDuke72 View Post
    Sort of. Players can circumvent the rule by transferring to a junior college. Of course, the minor league salary structure makes it such that there isn’t that much incentive to circumvent the rule. Guys aren’t ready for MLB so rushing the process isn’t worth it. That isn’t true with the NBA.

MLB teams that draft high school players do not expect those players to play in the major leagues immediately. They have a huge, minor-league infrastructure, a chain, through which these guys move up and most of them never make the majors.

Even the best prep players take some time. Mike Trout, for example. If Mike Trout is going to have to spend time in the minors, then any high school player is going to have to play minor league baseball. Comparing a 19-year-old playing in the NBA and a 19-year-old playing in the majors is apples and oranges.

The maturation of the G-League is giving pro basketball a true minor league. But for this to remotely replicate Major League Baseball, there are going to have to be more layers in the system. Otherwise, college basketball is still going to be a primary feeder system for the NBA. Not the only one, perhaps. But a big one.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ... he has offers from Pitt, Colombia, and Illinois...
    I've heard getting offers from Ecuador is harder...Sorry couldn't resist as this is DBR. In all seriousness, I appreciate the insights!

Very minimal update here, but MJ Rice wrote a blog for Jason Jordan of Sports Illustrated. He notes that Duke, among others, continues to be in contact. Rice is leaving Oak Hill for his senior year but says that it is not time to tell where he will go yet.

https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...aa-spring-ball

MLB teams that draft high school players do not expect those players to play in the major leagues immediately. They have a huge, minor-league infrastructure, a chain, through which these guys move up and most of them never make the majors.

Even the best prep players take some time. Mike Trout, for example. If Mike Trout is going to have to spend time in the minors, then any high school player is going to have to play minor league baseball. Comparing a 19-year-old playing in the NBA and a 19-year-old playing in the majors is apples and oranges.

The maturation of the G-League is giving pro basketball a true minor league. But for this to remotely replicate Major League Baseball, there are going to have to be more layers in the system. Otherwise, college basketball is still going to be a primary feeder system for the NBA. Not the only one, perhaps. But a big one.
    Good example of Mike Trout who could be the best major league player. Even Mike had to pay his dues in the minors. Being a successful hitter in the majors is hard to do when that ball is coming at you at 95-100 mph. Well unless you're Ted Williams who said he could see the ball hit the bat. In baseball if you're successful 30% of the time as a hitter, you'll play in that sport for years. 30% shooting in the NBA doesn't even get you out of the G-league.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Very minimal update here, but MJ Rice wrote a blog for Jason Jordan of Sports Illustrated. He notes that Duke, among others, continues to be in contact. Rice is leaving Oak Hill for his senior year but says that it is not time to tell where he will go yet.

https://www.si.com/college/recruitin...aa-spring-ball
    Evident that Faith is high on his priority list. Good to see.

GoDuke!