Undrafted Free Agent signings

Deon Jackson to Colts, Mark Gilbert to Steelers, Devery Hamilton to Raiders.

Congratulations!
    Bob Green

Jim Sumner on the NFL Draft and free agent signings:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...avid-cutcliffe
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim Sumner on the NFL Draft and free agent signings:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...avid-cutcliffe
    “David Cutcliffe didn’t have any three-player classes but some of his selections had more staying power, Tomlinson, Crowder and Ross Cockrell among them.” Does Daniel Jones qualify for this list at some point? I sure hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Does Daniel Jones qualify for this list at some point? I sure hope so!
    We will find out a lot about Daniel Jones this coming season. The Giants have upgraded at wide receiver plus Barkley should be back healthy to fuel the running game. Jones is setup to have a breakthrough season. I’m confident he will impress. If he doesn’t, Giants are going to lose their patience.
    Bob Green

We will find out a lot about Daniel Jones this coming season. The Giants have upgraded at wide receiver plus Barkley should be back healthy to fuel the running game. Jones is setup to have a breakthrough season. I’m confident he will impress. If he doesn’t, Giants are going to lose their patience.
    Congrats to our guys who signed as UFA's and hopefully they'll secure spots on their respective rosters.

Concerning DJ though - I hope you're right. It sounds like this season may be the year for Daniel to consistently show what he's capable of doing. I also have confidence that he'll do just that and I'm really looking forward to seeing how his career progresses.

Upgrading at wide receiver and bolstering the running back rotation only addresses one facet of the problem. I believe the deficiency that poses the greatest impediment to Daniel's success -- and to much-needed consistency in the performance of the Giants' offense -- is subpar protection from the offensive line. If Daniel is running for his life, or fighting off defensive linemen clawing for the ball before he can even survey the downfield options, the season is unfortunately likely to result in more breakdowns than breakthroughs. But I'll be watching and hoping for the best, including some thrilling moments from Kadarius Toney, whose much-improved receiving and video game quality open-field running was a consistent source of entertainment for us in the Swamp.

You can't count on it necessarily, but it is possible the Giants are able to fill some needs at OL via UDFA, Free Agency, and trades right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    I believe the deficiency that poses the greatest impediment to Daniel's success -- and to much-needed consistency in the performance of the Giants' offense -- is subpar protection from the offensive line. If Daniel is running for his life, or fighting off defensive linemen clawing for the ball before he can even survey the downfield options, the season is unfortunately likely to result in more breakdowns than breakthroughs.
    I was watching and hoping the Giants would select an OL in round 2 to shore up protection but it didn’t happen. Before Gettleman traded down, the center from Oklahoma would have been available as well other highly rated linemen. The line needs help so perhaps Giants will go the free agent route.
    Bob Green

I was watching and hoping the Giants would select an OL in round 2 to shore up protection but it didn’t happen. Before Gettleman traded down, the center from Oklahoma would have been available as well other highly rated linemen. The line needs help so perhaps Giants will go the free agent route.
    I felt like a lot of teams who have glaring OL issues seemed to ignore the position (or maybe it was just the Giants and Panthers). Was this year perceived to be a weak draft for linemen perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I felt like a lot of teams who have glaring OL issues seemed to ignore the position (or maybe it was just the Giants and Panthers). Was this year perceived to be a weak draft for linemen perhaps?
    And the WFT(never will get used to that name) needed to upgrade their OL as well. They selected OT Sam Cosmi, Texas in the 2nd round. He's said to be a athletic freak but needs to work on his technique. He'll be competing with Cornelius Lucas and Geron Christian for the starting position. Even if he doesn't win the starting job, he'll be a promising young player for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    And the WFT(never will get used to that name) needed to upgrade their OL as well. They selected OT Sam Cosmi, Texas in the 2nd round. He's said to be a athletic freak but needs to work on his technique. He'll be competing with Cornelius Lucas and Geron Christian for the starting position. Even if he doesn't win the starting job, he'll be a promising young player for the future.
    Under Dan Snyder's 20-year ownership, isn't it appropriately WTF?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I was listening to sports talk radio in NY yesterday and they were talking about this. The host wasn't sure, but his theory is that the Giants actually took offensive linemen in rounds 1, 3 and 5 last year, so the hope is that some of those guys will develop and contribute more this year in the future. So to be fair to Gettleman, though he didn't really focus on it this year, it isn't like giving Daniel Jones a line hasn't been on his radar.

That being said, part of me wishes the Giants hadn't traded down and took Slater to help the line, as I'm not sure what to think of Toney. It seemed like there were about 15 top players in this draft and then there was a pretty significant drop-off, so though they only went down nine spots, it was to a different tier of players. The flip side of this is that the Bears will likely be average at best next year so the first round pick the Giants got for 2022 could be worth a lot.

Good news for Deon Jackson. Colts giving him a $45K signing bonus:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/...ng-bonus-udfa/

Sounds like Deon is a priority.
    Bob Green

Good news for Deon Jackson. Colts giving him a $45K signing bonus:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/...ng-bonus-udfa/

Sounds like Deon is a priority.
    Interesting. I thought Durant was the better runner of the two last season. But what do I know.

GoDuke!