Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mulkey Leaving Baylor for LSU

Changes occurring in the women’s game this off-season as well.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ves-baylor-lsu

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post

Have to admit I was surprised to see this story when I got up this morning. Of course, I didn't know that she had roots in Louisiana. She seems like the type of coach that's going to be hard to replace!

Stunner

This would be comparable to Calipari leaving Kentucky.

The biggest winner here is Vic Schaefer and Texas. Karen Anston, the previous Texas coach, went 1-18 against Mulkey, and Schaefer was pummeled 60-35 away and beaten by a more respectable 64-57 score at home. Schaefer has said that he was hired to beat Baylor, and on paper at least it should be a lot easier without Mulkey.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    This would be comparable to Calipari leaving Kentucky.

The biggest winner here is Vic Schaefer and Texas. Karen Anston, the previous Texas coach, went 1-18 against Mulkey, and Schaefer was pummeled 60-35 away and beaten by a more respectable 64-57 score at home. Schaefer has said that he was hired to beat Baylor, and on paper at least it should be a lot easier without Mulkey.
    I am by no means an SEC fan, but i have to assume the scads of money that football brings in is going to make them a powerhouse in any sport they want to focus on (Alabama and men's basketball for another example.). Unless this wasn't driven by money.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I am by no means an SEC fan, but i have to assume the scads of money that football brings in is going to make them a powerhouse in any sport they want to focus on (Alabama and men's basketball for another example.). Unless this wasn't driven by money.
    maybe Baylor wanted her to get a covid test but LSU said she wouldn't have to...
    April 1

Other SEC news

Coach G is now an assistant at Kentucky. Not sure where to put that, but this thread seemed as good as any.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post

Mulkey earned $2.27M as Baylor coach last season.
    By contrast LSU men's coach Will Wade earned $2.5M

Guess LSU women's basketball will now have parity ?

Anybody see SportsCenter this morning? They had a piece with Mulkey and showed her sitting down to address LSU for the first time. She had a mask on as she sat down, but she immediately pulled it off and dismissively tossed it aside. I can't remember what she said, exactly, but something like, "That's enough of that!" The tone and body language were unmistakeable. It made me wonder if the mask business is part of the reason she suddenly felt homesick. Baylor and LSU published mask policies seem very similar, but who knows about enforcement and what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm not wanting to get into a PPB debate, but it just made me curious if that played a role, since it seems to really matter to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Anybody see SportsCenter this morning? They had a piece with Mulkey and showed her sitting down to address LSU for the first time. She had a mask on as she sat down, but she immediately pulled it off and dismissively tossed it aside. I can't remember what she said, exactly, but something like, "That's enough of that!" The tone and body language were unmistakeable. It made me wonder if the mask business is part of the reason she suddenly felt homesick. Baylor and LSU published mask policies seem very similar, but who knows about enforcement and what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm not wanting to get into a PPB debate, but it just made me curious if that played a role, since it seems to really matter to her.
    I think that's a bit of a stretch. That said, she is a bit of a grating person, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ticked someone off at baylor, or was otherwise ticked off by something they did....but ultimately I bet it comes down to she wanted more money and LSU gave it to her.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I think that's a bit of a stretch. That said, she is a bit of a grating person, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ticked someone off at baylor, or was otherwise ticked off by something they did...but ultimately I bet it comes down to she wanted more money and LSU gave it to her.
    I haven't heard a salary report, although from a state university, that will undoubtedly be public at some point, so we'll be able to test that theory. Her salary was already massive, but maybe LSU found the cash somewhere.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Surprisingly, she won't be leaving a bunch of recruits in a lurch. I see only one in the '21 Top 100 that has Baylor listed.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...s/_/class/2021
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think that's a bit of a stretch. That said, she is a bit of a grating person, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ticked someone off at baylor, or was otherwise ticked off by something they did...but ultimately I bet it comes down to she wanted more money and LSU gave it to her.
    I haven't heard a salary report, although from a state university, that will undoubtedly be public at some point, so we'll be able to test that theory. Her salary was already massive, but maybe LSU found the cash somewhere.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...250945014.html

an opinion piece, obviously, but it seems she and the department were fed up with each other. The reports that she wanted the court named after her don't seem all that far fetched given my impression of her. It seems LSU did give her slightly more money as well.
    April 1

an opinion piece, obviously, but it seems she and the department were fed up with each other. The reports that she wanted the court named after her don't seem all that far fetched given my impression of her. It seems LSU did give her slightly more money as well.
    Mulkey is a great coach... who knows she is a great coach and expects everyone around her to acknowledge that she is a great coach. Humility... that club ain't really in her bag.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

$530,000 raise was a "small bump" in her salary. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    $530,000 raise was a "small bump" in her salary. lol
    Roughly a 20% increase, if the figures in the article are apples-to-apples. I'd be happy to get +20% salary for doing more-or-less the same job.

Roughly a 20% increase, if the figures in the article are apples-to-apples. I'd be happy to get +20% salary for doing more-or-less the same job.
    rebuilding at a new program is far harder than maintaining success at your current place.
    April 1

rebuilding at a new program is far harder than maintaining success at your current place.
    That's a fair point. I'm not sure that's will true going forward as much as it used to be, with the new transfer rules, but it's still going to be at least somewhat more difficult. 20% more? Let's leave it at maybe.

C'mon guys, you're completely missing the point. How many here would consider a raise of $530,000 a "small bump"? It's ludicrous. Not saying she's not worth it, and the market is what it is...but it's ludicrous.

C'mon guys, you're completely missing the point. How many here would consider a raise of $530,000 a "small bump"? It's ludicrous. Not saying she's not worth it, and the market is what it is...but it's ludicrous.
    Also a fair point. I mean, let's be honest: If I got that much raise, let's just say that I would worry less about what percentage the increase worked out to, and more about how to find out where to pay back such an obvious mistake.

You can entice a minimum wage worker to change jobs for a couple bucks an hour. That won't entice a doctor or lawyer or someone else making 150k a year. You might entice one of those people to jump ship for 20k a year. You're not going to get someone making a couple mil to jump for 20k a year.

It's all relative to the market. It has to be. So no, I don't consider it out of line to what it would take someone to jump jobs relative to her compensation. Also remember that she likely has performance bonuses, lowering the effective increase by %.

So while I agree with the notion that coaches in general are overpaid, I don't think of putting it in average-wage terms does someone in that position's decision making justice. I'm sure there are people on this board who have changed jobs for a "small bump" which is larger than the yearly salary of some other people on this board. It's the world, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but to kim mulkey, it is not a life changing increase in compensation.
    April 1