Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Mark Williams confirms he is coming back to Duke for year #2

We saw Joey and Wendell in a DBP video a few days ago so Mark was the only unknown until now.

https://goduke.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Expect Trevor Keels, Theo John, and Jaylen Blakes to be added soon.

This is good.

Very good news.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    This made me smile. Much needed right now.

If Mark continues to improve and builds muscle over this off season, next year’s team has a VERY high ceiling, even with our anxieties about the backcourt. The front court could be that good, IMHO.

Does being listed on the roster mean that he is definitely coming back? Seems that published future rosters can be changed if situations change. Sorry to be pessimistic, and I hope it is set in stone.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Does being listed on the roster mean that he is definitely coming back? Seems that published future rosters can be changed if situations change. Sorry to be pessimistic, and I hope it is set in stone.
    I mean, according to that rule, keels, john, and jones have all decided to not come to duke afterall...

I expect him to be back, of course, but I don't think this is any more official than anything we knew yesterday.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Historically all the players that have been added to the roster, has been part of the season at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Historically all the players that have been added to the roster, has been part of the season at the beginning.
    That's good to know. I was also wondering how "official" this really was. I would feel much more comfortable if the school put out a statement or Williams sent out a tweet confirming he'll be back.

The sky is the limit for big Mark, and I can't wait to see him next season. I certainly don't expect him to put up a 20/20 every night like he (almost) did against Louisville, but to see a big guy improve that much during the course of the season was almost unheard of. Add in a full summer of workouts and practices, plus a full preseason, and he's going to be a monster.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    That's good to know. I was also wondering how "official" this really was. I would feel much more comfortable if the school put out a statement or Williams sent out a tweet confirming he'll be back.

The sky is the limit for big Mark, and I can't wait to see him next season. I certainly don't expect him to put up a 20/20 every night like he (almost) did against Louisville, but to see a big guy improve that much during the course of the season was almost unheard of. Add in a full summer of workouts and practices, plus a full preseason, and he's going to be a monster.
    Indeed. Coach K said during one of his final weekly TV shows that Mark Williams had improved more over a season more than any player he had coached.

This dude us super important. He is looking like a stud.

Here's my question, and I don't know the answer. Was Matthew Hurt on that roster a week ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Here's my question, and I don't know the answer. Was Matthew Hurt on that roster a week ago?
    No, the 2021-2022 roster was added after his decision.

I'd love to see Mark Williams play for Duke next season. I just have to ask, though, has the roster ever been revealed like this before? I don't think this means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    No, the 2021-2022 roster was added after his decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    I'd love to see Mark Williams play for Duke next season. I just have to ask, though, has the roster ever been revealed like this before? I don't think this means anything.
    I have to imagine it's just someone under the SID got around to starting to update the website for next year.
    1200. DDMF.

I find the premise of the OP to be questionable if not borderline jinxy. I move that this thread be closed immediately before something bad happens.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I find the premise of the OP to be questionable if not borderline jinxy. I move that this thread be closed immediately before something bad happens.
    Aw man! Look on the bright side. Mark's sister came to Duke, played four years, saw her jersey go into the rafters, and is a leader in pro hoops. Mark came to Duke, shows enormous promise, and has been told that there is room in the rafters for another Williams' jersey. Why wouldn't he return?
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 04-18-2021 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Shoulda, woulda, coulda
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Aw man! Look on the bright side. Mark's sister came to Duke, played four years, saw her jersey go into the rafters, and is a leader in pro hoops. Mark came to Duke, shows enormous promise, and has been told that there is room in the rafters for another Williams' jersey. Why wouldn't he return?
    THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Plus the family is prosperous (father is a well-established Gastroenterologist in the Tidewater VA area), committed to education, and loves Duke.

yep, this is pretty unconvincing "news"...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yep, this is pretty unconvincing "news"...
    Reminds me a bit of discussions regarding Joe Lunardi and his "lock" status.

I agree. Until the NBA deadline has passed and everyone is sitting in a classroom for fall semester so they theoretically can't transfer for the fall, I am not assuming anything. Duke usually tends to be very thoughtful and intentional about these kinds of things so I am cautiously optimistic, but for all we know some work-study kid was told to start working on posting next year's rosters with little knowledge of anything. Things are too fluid these days.