Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLB Season

As expected by many, the Dodgers look strong again this season and sit at 11-2 right now. They got stronger in the offseason by signing Trevor Bauer after winning the World Series in the shortened season this past year. To me, they’re the favorites to repeat this season as World Series champions. But, it is baseball and you just never know what can happen in a 162 game season plus 3 rounds of playoff games.

Braves are off to a rough start but the individual play of Ronald Acuna Jr has been nothing short of extraordinary. He is currently leading the league in home runs, third in RBI's, first in hits, first in OPS and his .442 batting average is tied for third. Just incredible that his average is that high while hitting for that much power.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    Braves are off to a rough start but the individual play of Ronald Acuna Jr has been nothing short of extraordinary. He is currently leading the league in home runs, third in RBI's, first in hits, first in OPS and his .442 batting average is tied for third. Just incredible that his average is that high while hitting for that much power.
    Acuña is the only thing that occasionally makes me wistful for Barves baseball. He's a legitimately extraordinary player.
    And I'm glad his team is thus far wasting his excellence.

I haven't kept up with the Braves this season, but my Atlanta BB friends have mentioned the pitching staff has not performed well and that was suppose to be a strength for them this season.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I haven't kept up with the Braves this season, but my Atlanta BB friends have mentioned the pitching staff has not performed well and that was suppose to be a strength for them this season.

GoRedbirds!
    I'm admittedly a big fan and watch or listen to most every game. So far it's been a combination of the pitching staff under performing and a lot of the lineup not hitting for any average. Guys like Freeman, Albies and Ozuna are all currently hitting under .200. I'm not overly worried just yet as those guys will get things turned around but I am a little concerned about the bullpen. We probably need to make a trade at some point to strengthen that up a little. We also get Soroka back in a week or two which should give a boost to the starting lineup.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Acuña is an absolute stud. He is a phenomenal talent and has lived up to his hyped billing. Add in Freddie Freeman who is a career .294 hitter with 244 career HRs, Ozzie Albies (only 24, switch hitter, great speed, great glove at 2B), Dansby Swanson (former #1 overall pick from Vandy, hasn’t quite lived up to his billing but still a solid player and had the walkoff RBI single yesterday vs the Marlins), Marcell Ozuna (power threat each at bat he takes), and heck even Kung Fu Panda Pedro Sandaval has had a good season thus far for them. They have a good lineup. Just need to pitch. Truist Park plays like a Cracker Jack box and the ball absolutely flies out of there. I grew up a colossal Braves fan. The early 90s to mid 2000s were their glory days and although they won just 1 World Series, they had a shot and were in the mix virtually each season. You can’t ask for much more than that. It’s nice to see their program contend again. I find them still to be a respectable organization and Brian Snitker is one heck of a man and skipper. He paid his dues to get to the top of the organization and he seems like a Bobby Cox style old school player’s manager. Basically everyone in the NL East has gotten off to a mediocre start so it should be anyone’s division for the beginning of the season and likely late into the season. Not sure if anyone will run away with the NL East.

I'm admittedly a big fan and watch or listen to most every game. So far it's been a combination of the pitching staff under performing and a lot of the lineup not hitting for any average. Guys like Freeman, Albies and Ozuna are all currently hitting under .200. I'm not overly worried just yet as those guys will get things turned around but I am a little concerned about the bullpen. We probably need to make a trade at some point to strengthen that up a little. We also get Soroka back in a week or two which should give a boost to the starting lineup.
    Change the particular names and this post is dead on for the Yankees as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    As expected by many, the Dodgers look strong again this season and sit at 11-2 right now. They got stronger in the offseason by signing Trevor Bauer after winning the World Series in the shortened season this past year. To me, they’re the favorites to repeat this season as World Series champions. But, it is baseball and you just never know what can happen in a 162 game season plus 3 rounds of playoff games.
    Plus they got David Price back (even thought he’s off to a rough start). Back end of the bullpen is a little shaken with Jansen, but they are going to be very tough to beat for the NL pennant.

WASHINGTON -- Max Scherzer doesn’t rest his laurels on milestones, but when he passed Hall of Famer, Triple Crown winner and baseball icon Cy Young on the all-time leaderboards, it was more than just another strikeout.

“It’s pretty cool,” Scherzer said following the Nats’ 1-0 walk-off win over the D-backs. “I didn’t even know that was happening tonight.”

Scherzer entered Friday’s matchup against the D-backs with 2,798 career strikeouts. He notched his eighth strikeout to lead off the seventh inning to tie Young at 2,806 punchouts for 22nd in Major League history. He caught the next batter, Eduardo Escobar, swinging for his ninth to move ahead.

https://www.mlb.com/news/max-scherzer-passes-cy-young-on-all-time-strikeouts-list

The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Philadelphia Phillies 9-4 yesterday in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at Citizens Bank Park. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals back up to .500 at 7-7.

Yadier Molina continued his amazing season thus far at age 38. He was 3-5 with 2 HRs and 4 RBI. He is now batting .340 this season with 4 HRs, 12 RBI, and an OPS of 1.044. He has found the fountain of youth this season and now has 164 career HRs and 2,017 career hits. He is adding to a Hall of Fame worthy career.

Paul DeJong was 1-4 and also smacked a HR, his 3rd of the season. Nolan Arenado was also 1-4 and clubbed his 4th HR of the season.

The Cardinals and Phillies play the rubber match of their 3 game series today at 12:05 pm CT. John Gant gets the start on the hill for the Cardinals opposite Aaron Nola.

Let’s Go Redbirds!

The St. Louis Cardinals defeated the Philadelphia Phillies 9-4 yesterday in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at Citizens Bank Park. The win pushed the record of the Cardinals back up to .500 at 7-7.

Yadier Molina continued his amazing season thus far at age 38. He was 3-5 with 2 HRs and 4 RBI. He is now batting .340 this season with 4 HRs, 12 RBI, and an OPS of 1.044. He has found the fountain of youth this season and now has 164 career HRs and 2,017 career hits. He is adding to a Hall of Fame worthy career.

Paul DeJong was 1-4 and also smacked a HR, his 3rd of the season. Nolan Arenado was also 1-4 and clubbed his 4th HR of the season.

The Cardinals and Phillies play the rubber match of their 3 game series today at 12:05 pm CT. John Gant gets the start on the hill for the Cardinals opposite Aaron Nola.

Let’s Go Redbirds!
    The Cards look ready to repeat one of their bad habits. After scoring plenty of runs in a game, the next game they're shut out or held to 1 or 2 runs. They don't have the pitching to win low scoring games. Feast or famine for my Cards. Right now in the bottom of the 8th, they're down 2-0.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The Cards look ready to repeat one of their bad habits. After scoring plenty of runs in a game, the next game they're shut out or held to 1 or 2 runs. They don't have the pitching to win low scoring games. Feast or famine for my Cards. Right now in the bottom of the 8th, they're down 2-0.

GoRedbirds!
    Yeah, Aaron Nola dealt today for the Phillies vs the Cardinals. He threw a 2 hit complete game shutout with 10 strikeouts. The Cardinals through the first 15 games of the season have shown flashes of good play but overall appear mediocre, although there’s still 147 games left.

I’m going to the game Tuesday in D.C. vs the Nationals. Wainwright is starting on the hill for the Cardinals.

the Dodgers look strong again this season and sit at 11-2 right now.
    13-3 after my Padres got a win today, the last day of the Dodgers’ swing through Petco. The Dodgers won the first two. The Brewers come to town next and then the Padres head up to LA for four games.

Yeah, Aaron Nola dealt today for the Phillies vs the Cardinals. He threw a 2 hit complete game shutout with 10 strikeouts. The Cardinals through the first 15 games of the season have shown flashes of good play but overall appear mediocre, although there’s still 147 games left.

I’m going to the game Tuesday in D.C. vs the Nationals. Wainwright is starting on the hill for the Cardinals.
    Bring home a victory and if you get a chance, please ask Shildt when is the Carpenter 3 year plan up. Put Tommy Edman on 2nd and leave him there. If the outfield doesn't hit, then that's on MO. He's been waiting on Bader, Thomas and O'Neil to hit for too long. Right now we have a subpar starting rotation and some dead weight in the lineup. I can dump on this team because they're getting paid.

GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Unfortunately watched the end of the Yanks losing in 10 to the Blue Jays. I still need to get used to the rule putting a runner on second in extra innings - I was thinking "did I miss something? Where did he come from?"
    I didn't know about this rule change - it stinks!

Go, Royals! They (knock wood) haven't lost a series so far this year.

And I still love Salvy - walk off home run in the second game on Saturday, 2 run home run in the bottom of the 7th on Sunday (after the Royals had left 10 men on base).

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Go, Royals! They (knock wood) haven't lost a series so far this year.

And I still love Salvy - walk off home run in the second game on Saturday, 2 run home run in the bottom of the 7th on Sunday (after the Royals had left 10 men on base).
    You’re welcome for Mike Matheny

Is there anything more pathetic than the Tigers on a West Coast road trip...? (this is a rhetorical question) If they had relegation in MLB, the Tigers would be playing the Ipswich Clams in the Cape Cod League (and would probably lose).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Is there anything more pathetic than the Tigers on a West Coast road trip...? (this is a rhetorical question) If they had relegation in MLB, the Tigers would be playing the Ipswich Clams in the Cape Cod League (and would probably lose).
    Tigers fan, eh? I remember having the discussion with a friend around 2014 that Miguel Cabrera may likely end his career as the best hitter ever. He was 31 and on pace at the time for 700+ HRs and easily 3,000 hits. Injuries have really derailed his career since then. When healthy, he still arguably is the best hitter in the game. But he just can’t stay healthy these last several seasons. I saw he’s already injured his bicep this year and hasn’t played much lately. I still think he will get to 500 HRs but not 600 in his career. He has a good shot at 3,000 hits still, too, but needs to stay healthy. Crazy to me now that the Tigers gave him an 8 year deal at 33, but hindsight is 20-20. He is still a beast but anyone that is injured that much and making that much money must be frustrating to watch as a fan. Hope he can get back soon. I honestly don’t recognize many other players on the Tigers roster, but a few.

Tigers fan, eh? I remember having the discussion with a friend around 2014 that Miguel Cabrera may likely end his career as the best hitter ever. He was 31 and on pace at the time for 700+ HRs and easily 3,000 hits. Injuries have really derailed his career since then. When healthy, he still arguably is the best hitter in the game. But he just can’t stay healthy these last several seasons. I saw he’s already injured his bicep this year and hasn’t played much lately. I still think he will get to 500 HRs but not 600 in his career. He has a good shot at 3,000 hits still, too, but needs to stay healthy. Crazy to me now that the Tigers gave him an 8 year deal at 33, but hindsight is 20-20. He is still a beast but anyone that is injured that much and making that much money must be frustrating to watch as a fan. Hope he can get back soon. I honestly don’t recognize many other players on the Tigers roster, but a few.
    I don't know if I'm being too harsh on Miguel or not, but it doesn't seem like he focuses much on keeping himself in shape, which is imperative when you're his age. Indeed, in his prime, he was fearsome, he could hit the ball out of the park to any field, and did so routinely...

I don't recognize the names on the roster now; the Tigers blew their chance when they had, somewhat unbelievably, Scherzer, Verlander, Price and Porcello on the same staff (along with a pretty solid Sanchez...)