Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Wow. Just got an ESPN notification that Sean Miller is out at Arizona.

Reported by Jeff Borzello.
    A lot of top tier openings this spring.

Wow, only 3 or 4 years too late. What the he## were they waiting for??

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    So the Addidas scandal has now taken down Rick Pitino, and Sean Miller... but Bill Self just got a lifetime contract. Whew...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Probably for them to lose in the Elite 8 before they started making phone calls? (Which makes them a weekend or two too, late, but same principle. Or lack thereof.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wonder if Pastner will get a phone call from AZ AD. He's beloved there...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Wonder if Pastner will get a phone call from AZ AD. He's beloved there...
    Yeah, I was thinking that. I wonder if they may try former Arizona player and former NBA coach Luke Walton.

-Jason "Igoudala retires from the NBA to step into the job... " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking that. I wonder if they may try former Arizona player and former NBA coach Luke Walton.

Isn’t Walton still coaching the Sacramento Kings?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Isn’t Walton still coaching the Sacramento Kings?
    My interpretation is that he is expected to be former Kings coach at some point this season or shortly thereafter

This is JUST the job Brad Stevens is waiting for
    - arizona fans, probably
    April 1

Former Arizona player Derrick Williams...

Too soon?

So the Addidas scandal has now taken down Rick Pitino, and Sean Miller... but Bill Self just got a lifetime contract. Whew...
    Don’t forget the virtuous Will Wade!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    This is JUST the job Brad Stevens is waiting for
    - arizona fans, probably
    You’re close, but not quite right. Steve Kerr just tweeted that he’ll take the Arizona job if Brad Stevens will agree to take the Duke job as soon as Coach K retires. 😉

I don’t really see the connection between the two; I’m just passing on information. These are bizarre and mystical times, my friends.

So the recruiting scandal surrounding Arizona assistant Book Richardson takes out his head coach Sean Miller.
    The five major NCAA violations still hang over the program's head.

I'd think Ga Tech head coach Josh Pastner is certainly in the mix; as well as fellow Zona alums Damon Stoudamire the Pacific head coach and Miles Simon an LA Lakers assistant.

Would Arizona give the new NCAA Champion Baylor head coach Scott Drew a call ?
    I know the timing stinks, but these big jobs don't open that often and Scott's brother Bryce is only a few hours down the road at Grand Canyon.

It's amazing that brothers Sean and Archie Miller, once the hottest coaching candidates in the country, are now both fired from their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    So the recruiting scandal surrounding Arizona assistant Book Richardson takes out his head coach Sean Miller.
    The five major NCAA violations still hang over the program's head.

I'd think Ga Tech head coach Josh Pastner is certainly in the mix; as well as fellow Zona alums Damon Stoudamire the Pacific head coach and Miles Simon an LA Lakers assistant.

Would Arizona give the new NCAA Champion Baylor head coach Scott Drew a call ?
    I know the timing stinks, but these big jobs don't open that often and Scott's brother Bryce is only a few hours down the road at Grand Canyon.

It's amazing that brothers Sean and Archie Miller, once the hottest coaching candidates in the country, are now both fired from their jobs.
    Glad the cheating brothers got fired. Breaking recruiting rules finally caught up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Glad the cheating brothers got fired. Breaking recruiting rules finally caught up with them.
    Brothers cheating, huh? Glad they both got fired.

Whatever happened to brothers hugging? Much better than cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Lz7ocAtS0

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    According to Wikipedia " On May 19,2019 federal prosecutors played a wiretapped call from June 20,2017 between Christian Dawkins and (Book) Richardson that (Sean) Miller was paying DeAndre Ayton $10,000 a month while he was enrolled at Arizona."

While Sean Miller certainly cheated, if Archie did he hasn't been caught yet.

The Addidas scandal broke in 2017. Arizona fired Book Richardson in 2018. By October 2019 Richardson had already been convicted, sentenced and released.

Seems like the Addidas scandal did not take down Sean Miller...until Arizona started missing the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    The Addidas scandal broke in 2017. Arizona fired Book Richardson in 2018. By October 2019 Richardson had already been convicted, sentenced and released.

Seems like the Addidas scandal did not take down Sean Miller...until Arizona started missing the tournament.
    Indeed. This article pulls no punches
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-miller-firing-college-basketball-losing-ncaa-case-235343119.html

A bit tangential to the Sean Miller news, but I'm a fan of weird sports contracts.

Sportico: Sean Miller's Firing Caps Off Unique Oil-and-Gas Longevity Bonus

Miller’s employment contract includes a series of longevity bonuses tied to the performance of a publicly traded oil-and-gas venture. The school said Wednesday that it will honor the remainder of the deal, suggesting that next year Miller will be due a payment equal to the value of nearly 30,000 fully-vested shares in MPLX LP currently held by the university’s foundation. That’s worth $781,929 based off today’s prices, but those shares won’t be sold and the money won’t be distributed until May 2022.
    The article seems to say that there's an additional $1.25 million buyout, so a little over $2 million total. About half of that could be forfeited, depending on the results of the NCAA investigation. Still a prosperous outcome for cheating.

Looking forward to Bitcoin and other cryptocurrency bonuses in the future.

tradingplaces.jpg

Cronin Contract Extended and Increased

UCLA's end-of-season run pays off for Mick Cronin:

After a captivating run to the Final Four in his second season at UCLA, coach Mick Cronin has been rewarded with a two-year extension that will elevate his salary to $4 million per year, athletic director Martin Jarmond announced Thursday.

The move extends Cronin's original six-year deal, set to expire in 2025, through the 2026-27 season. Cronin reportedly made $3.2 million and $3.3 million, respectively, in the first two years of a deal that was set to cap at $3.7 million in his final season.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013