Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Umm, not that it matters, but that would be Corey Maggette. Followed by Loul Deng.

Damn. Not DJ. Damn.
    Well Maggette and Deng could have gotten drafted out of high school so they aren’t true one and dones to me. I’m referring to players that can’t get drafted to the NBA out of high school (the rule changed in 2005 I believe) so said players play collegiately for a year then bolt for the NBA or professional basketball.

He is going to be in the G league for a few years. Not anywhere close to being prepared. And highly doubtful he gets drafted.

This stinks for Duke and college basketball.

Wish him luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jamos14 View Post
    Per his Twitter. Intends to sign with agent.

I didn't expect that.
    A strange year. College is not for everyone. I wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    He’s not yet a very good player at the college level. Fairly good shooter, not much of a playmaker, fairly good rebounder, weak on defense. Too short to play NBA 2. Not skilled enough for NBA point guard. So many better options for NBA teams to pick. Maybe he’s just getting an early NBA evaluation.
    Get paid in the G-League to improve his skills. SMFH!

I wish him the best of luck but man, I feel like some of these guys have some crazy people talking to them. Maybe he wants to learn a European language through immersion.
    Last edited by PSurprise; 04-01-2021 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Proofreading is key, kids.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Welcome to Duke.

Performance doesn’t factor in your decision. It’s about viewing yourself as an OAD.
    Or maybe he didn’t like college. Or maybe he didn’t end up liking Duke the way he thought. Or maybe the only reason he ever went to college was because of the CBA requiring him to do so. There are lots of good and valid reasons for DJ to leave Duke. None of us are walking in his shoes and know everything that went into his decision. Thank the kid for his time and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    But, is he even getting drafted?
    Doubtful.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Or maybe he didn’t like college. Or maybe he didn’t end up liking Duke the way he thought. Or maybe the only reason he ever went to college was because of the CBA requiring him to do so. There are lots of good and valid reasons for DJ to leave Duke. None of us are walking in his shoes and know everything that went into his decision. Thank the kid for his time and move on.
    With all the kids who underperformed and left early, that’s a lot of kids who either didn’t like Duke or college, especially when compared to 2016 and prior!

Duke is an OAD school. You either like it or you don’t.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    He’s not yet a very good player at the college level. Fairly good shooter, not much of a playmaker, fairly good rebounder, weak on defense. Too short to play NBA 2. Not skilled enough for NBA point guard. So many better options for NBA teams to pick. Maybe he’s just getting an early NBA evaluation.
    Nope. He’s gone. He may get drafted in the second round. Maybe. But he won’t be in the league. He doesn’t have the skills and he doesn’t have the body. 163 pound shooting guards? Should we count the number of em in the league? It won’t take long. Seems like a good kid but this is a league of men and he does not have the body of a fully developed professional athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    Yes, there are valid reasons to leave, but there are other avenues for those things, especially this year, if he didn't like Duke. "Are you NBA ready?" The answer is no. If he's declaring, what other reason is there. Maybe family economics? Maybe he thinks the G-league is the way to go? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Yep. I've been headed to this conclusion for a while now...this seals it.

Because - and I know people talk about how much money one makes as a NBA draft choice , but - because of the way the NBA draft salary slots work, it is possible to make move up enough in a draft slot from one year to the next to essentially increases your slotted salary to overcome that extra year.

Look, I think players need to be paid in college. I think the NBA needs to rid itself of the one and done rule. And DJ Steward seems like a good kid and a fine talent.

But, is he even getting drafted?
    Doubt it. I also doubt he ever plays in the NBA. He may very well have a fine professional career and make plenty of money in some other league, but what does he do at an NBA level? Just for comparison, look at Frank Jackson. He had a better single season at Duke (although he averaged fewer ppg), on a much better team, has much better athleticism, a better 3pt shooter, and more skill as a PG, although still not enough, and is still barely making it in the league. Frank is undersized as a 2G, and is taller and stronger than DJ.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 04-01-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Where would Duke be if we told recruits that we’re really not interested in one and dones? If we told them that if they blow up and have a super freshman year that we’ll wish them well as they head into the NBA but don’t count on it? Would we be worse off?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Where would Duke be if we told recruits that we’re really not interested in one and dones? If we told them that if they blow up and have a super freshman year that we’ll wish them well as they head into the NBA but don’t count on it? Would we be worse off?
    Maybe Duke would be in the NCAAT right now ...

I shouldn’t be stunned anymore when kids leave for the pros, but that is stunning.

Being cooped up at the Washington Duke hotel and taking classes online would not be the Duke experience I would want either.

Good Luck to you, young man.

I wish the young fella all the best - but he sure has a loooooooong way to go to get to the league. And the big paydays. He shoulda stayed another year or even 2.

Bye.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Honestly this kind of nonsense is why Roy was like - I’d rather be golfing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Doubt it. I also doubt he ever plays in the NBA. He may very well have a fine professional career and make plenty of money in some other league, but what does he do at an NBA level? Just for comparison, look at Frank Jackson. He had a better single season at Duke (although he averaged fewer ppg), on a much better team, has much better athleticism, a better 3pt shooter, and more skill as a PG, although still not enough, and is still barely making it in the league. Frank is undersized as a 2G, and is taller and stronger than DJ.
    I don't think he plays more than 100 minutes in the NBA. And that is best case scenario. Good luck. But bai.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Being cooped up at the Washington Duke hotel and taking classes online would not be the Duke experience I would want either.

Good Luck to you, young man.
    Feels like a cop out to me. The WaDuke with catered meals and free travel and free training ain’t exactly roughing it. And it won’t be like that in the Fall anyway.