Who will be the next Duke assistant?

I've actually been wanting to initiate this conversation for a while and was waiting until after the DBR Podcast crew had aired their exciting upcoming series on the 2001 team and was going to suggest it as a DBR podcast topic. With the breaking news that Coach Nate James will be taking the head coaching job at Austin Peay, who will be Duke's next assistant? My list of potentially great candidates includes Quinn Cook, Matt Jones and Lance Thomas. With badass Nate moving on, we'll need someone to coach up the big men, so maybe that list should include the Landlord. Who's on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by MHNOLADevil View Post
    I've actually been wanting to initiate this conversation for a while and was waiting until after the DBR Podcast crew had aired their exciting upcoming series on the 2001 team and was going to suggest it as a DBR podcast topic. With the breaking news that Coach Nate James will be taking the head coaching job at Austin Peay, who will be Duke's next assistant? My list of potentially great candidates includes Quinn Cook, Matt Jones and Lance Thomas. With badass Nate moving on, we'll need someone to coach up the big men, so maybe that list should include the Landlord. Who's on your list?
    It will almost certainly be Nolan Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It will almost certainly be Nolan Smith.
    Yes, likely they will promote Nolan and bring on someone else in a basketball operations or intern position.

Yes, that makes sense to promote Nolan to assistant coach status. Honestly I had forgotten that his current position isn't as an official assistant. Assuming Nolan is promoted, the question becomes, who replaces Nolan?

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Yes, likely they will promote Nolan and bring on someone else in a basketball operations or intern position.
    Agreed. I think the better title for this thread is who will be the next Director of Basketball Operations. Which tends to be a coach-in-training type position. In many ways they can serve as a fourth coach but I think there are restrictions, particularly in terms of recruiting.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    What are the odds Wojo returns to the staff, a la what Capel did between the Oklahoma and Pitt jobs? It doesn't seem like there's been a huge market for his head coaching services elsewhere as of yet, unfortunately...
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Wonder if there is any chance Wojo comes back since he is out at Marquette? Take the Coach Capel route.

Well, Stephen A. thinks that Brad Stevens won’t last in Boston.

He would make a great Associate Head Coach in Durham. Unfortunately, that also goes as the head coach in CH.

Nolan Smith being named to this vacant position will be the least surprising thing to happen to Duke basketball in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nolan Smith being named to this vacant position will be the least surprising thing to happen to Duke basketball in some time.
    Well at least today.

Lol. Hey, at least our HOF coach didn’t retire out of the blue this week.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The people's champ!

I know, I know. I can't even make dinner without something blowing up.

On the latest podcast, we got into the question of who would replace Nolan Smith on the staff... I think we had some very interesting ideas: https://cms.megaphone.fm/channel/duk...=VMP7496000244
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?