Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Nate Oats at Alabama might not be a bad choice if we go outside the family, except for the fact that Oats insulted K in December, which was dumb, if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Nate Oats at Alabama might not be a bad choice if we go outside the family, except for the fact that Oats insulted K in December, which was dumb, if nothing else.
    He recanted quickly.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    He recanted quickly.
    Setting aside what Nate Oats said, would anyone else find it weird that Duke hired a coach who went from coaching Buffalo to a power conference team, and it wasn't Bobby Hurley?

Well, we did once hire a guy from a less than powerhouse institution in upstate NY once...

Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    Well, we did once hire a guy from a less than powerhouse institution in upstate NY once...
    Yes, but Tom Harp just didn't work out real well.

(West Point ain't really upstate).

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Yes, but Tom Harp just didn't work out real well.

(West Point ain't really upstate).
    He's still living!

Oh... yeah... forgot that one... from Cornell, right? But they were trying to de-emphasize then... I think they'll have deeper pockets this time too.

I'm just going to throw it out there ,but it would be hard replacing Coach K with the most successful of coaches.But to replace colleges all time wins leader .HEllo!I love K's former players but I don't see any of them being able to step in.Its going to have to be someone that has a proven track record and thats outside the Duke program.I would go with Brad Stevens. I hope K still has 3 + more years left in him.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    I'm just going to throw it out there ,but it would be hard replacing Coach K with the most successful of coaches.But to replace colleges all time wins leader .HEllo!I love K's former players but I don't see any of them being able to step in.Its going to have to be someone that has a proven track record and thats outside the Duke program.I would go with Brad Stevens. I hope K still has 3 + more years left in him.
    Brad Stevens?!?! Gosh, matt, before your comment I don’t think anyone had suggested Stevens as a potential successor to Coach K. I think you might be on to something, pal!! 👍🏻 😉

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Brad Stevens?!?! Gosh, matt, before your comment I don’t think anyone had suggested Stevens as a potential successor to Coach K. I think you might be on to something, pal!! 👍🏻 😉
    Be gentle! It's been in the works for years. The Celtics are keeping him off the college scene for us. Why do you think the Pagliuca brothers played at Duke? All part of the plan!

-jk

I thought It was mere coincidence that one of the Pagliuca brothers is on the AD Search Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by SamHouston View Post
    I thought It was mere coincidence that one of the Pagliuca brothers is on the AD Search Committee.
    I'm guessing your supposition is that it's because of the connection to the bball team? It's because Steve Pagliuca is a member of the board of trustees.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I'm guessing your supposition is that it's because of the connection to the bball team? It's because Steve Pagliuca is a member of the board of trustees.
    He played frosh hoops in the 70s. It’s all connected. It’s all part of the Plan!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    He played frosh hoops in the 70s. It’s all connected. It’s all part of the Plan!

-jk
    I guess you can't let slip who the illuminati have lined up for our next AD?

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    oh i had forgotten that! In either case, one would expect several board members to be involved with such a high-profile hire, and the ones involved with athletics, such as Borders and Pagliuca make great sense. Mildly surprised Silver isn't on it as well.
    April 1

Mildly surprised Silver isn't on it as well.
    He may have been asked and declined.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I really like Stevens if it come down to him replacing Coach K.We are really spoiled by coach Ks success.Id hate to see a loved ex player get the job and go 8-20 their first and second year,like Dawkins,Hurley or Capel.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    I really like Stevens if it come down to him replacing Coach K.We are really spoiled by coach Ks success.Id hate to see a loved ex player get the job and go 8-20 their first and second year,like Dawkins,Hurley or Capel.
    If Stevens isn’t available, maybe Spoelstra or Kerr are. I’d add Pop to the list, but he’s a little long in the tooth to succeed K.

oh i had forgotten that! In either case, one would expect several board members to be involved with such a high-profile hire, and the ones involved with athletics, such as Borders and Pagliuca make great sense. Mildly surprised Silver isn't on it as well.
    I would judge Adam Silver has a conflict of interest, given that the NBA competes with college athletics for the sports dollar.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'The NBA competes with college hoops and football and the other professional sports leagues to attract fans and eyeballs and sell merchandise'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I guess we'll see how assertive the new AD turns out to be. I could easily imagine a scenario in which a somewhat tentative AD nudges the choice over to K (who will no doubt have massive input regardless of AD).