Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    I merely note that some sub Mason-Dixonites use the word "impordant." That one intrigues me

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I merely note that some sub Mason-Dixonites use the word "impordant." That one intrigues me
    Well, I was on a call earlier where the speaker kept saying impor'en.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Well, I was on a call earlier where the speaker kept saying impor'en.
    sounds to me like an obvious case of a blister on the tongue from hot pizza.

sounds to me like an obvious case of a blister on the tongue from hot pizza.
    A lot of people must be eating hot pizza lately.

A lot of people must be eating hot pizza lately.
    I personally think pizza shops are behind this whole Corvid thing, but that's another topic, innit?

I personally think pizza shops are behind this whole Corvid thing, but that's another topic, innit?
    I have eaten at a couple in NYC that could probably be blamed. But, yes, another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chcjHwWwVxQ

This woman is British, so it sounds a BIT different, but she demonstrates number 3; from 25 seconds through about 1:35 you can hear what it sounds like with a British accent.
    No thanks to you (and the woman in the video), I'm now walking around saying "Uh Oh" and "Wa Er" out loud in a British accent!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    No thanks to you (and the woman in the video), I'm now walking around saying "Uh Oh" and "Wa Er" out loud in a British accent!
    Oh, no!!!

I hate the sound of people saying "no thanks to you" when they mean "thanks to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I hate the sound of people saying "no thanks to you" when they mean "thanks to you."
    That's literally just sarcasm.

I'm puzzled by "acrost" for across. I've only noticed it in the last 10 years or so. Not sure where it comes from.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but this makes me think about the demise of the phrase "you're welcome". It seems nobody is satisfied by that, and the response to "thank you" is most often another "thank you" or some other phrase that deflects the original gratitude. I was always taught that simply accepting someone's gratitude is itself a gracious act. Instead we seem to have turned it into a kind of competition. To me, it's odd and makes me a little wistful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but this makes me think about the demise of the phrase "you're welcome". It seems nobody is satisfied by that, and the response to "thank you" is most often another "thank you" or some other phrase that deflects the original gratitude. I was always taught that simply accepting someone's gratitude is itself a gracious act. Instead we seem to have turned it into a kind of competition. To me, it's odd and makes me a little wistful.
    Amen, brother.

Thus was actually discussed in detail in the 'words you like' thread. The gist of it was that millenials tend to think that 'you're welcome' is smug or self-satisfied, and they greatly prefer 'no problem.'
    I, too, have noticed a lot of 'thank you' instead of even 'no problem,' especially lately.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Amen, brother.

Thus was actually discussed in detail in the 'words you like' thread. The gist of it was that millenials tend to think that 'you're welcome' is smug or self-satisfied, and they greatly prefer 'no problem.'
    I, too, have noticed a lot of 'thank you' instead of even 'no problem,' especially lately.
    As in, "thank you for your service, rsvman!" which these days is completely appropriate for all healthcare providers!

(BTW, I started that "no problem" vs. "you're welcome" discussion because I didn't think "no problem" was an appropriate response to "thank you" but it did generate some interesting comments)
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

(BTW, I started that "no problem" vs. "you're welcome" discussion because I didn't think "no problem" was an appropriate response to "thank you" but it did generate some interesting comments)
    It did, indeed. I was a later participant in that thread, and hadn't read that exchange. Interesting it was. I think I'll keep "you're welcome", but always fun to read the many perspectives from fellow DBR denizens.

Speaking of which, I love the word "denizen", but I'm still in the wrong thread. What's a guy to do?

All these posts about eliminating "t" sounds and, yet (like "across" mentioned upthread), when it comes to "replenish," people tend to insert one.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    All these posts about eliminating "t" sounds and, yet (like "across" mentioned upthread), when it comes to "replenish," people tend to insert one.
    Well, you know, there are all of those unused Ts lying around. Would be a shame to waste them.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Well, you know, there are all of those unused Ts lying around. Would be a shame to waste them.
    Ts and Os. Ole Roy has a armoire full of ones he has saved over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    ClemPson

ClemPson
    I have heard this, too.

In a similar vein, around the Tidewater area of Virginia there is a group of people that call one of the seven cities "Porchmuth." Makes me laugh every time I hear it.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

ClemPson
    That's how it's supposed to be pronounced!

Or at least if you're a descriptivist!