Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Lots of horses, riding areas, stables, etc. And tons of coyotes. See one of those unexpectedly and trust me you're gonna swerve.
    Living in an area with huge amount of wildlife and mountainous roads, you are mentally prepared for animals suddenly appearing on the road. No swerving for deer, coyotes or smaller animals. First, you can flip your car on even a good road. Second, you can lose control and leave the road -- with all sorts of bad things: hitting a large tree or boulders or, more likely, rolling down a steep embankment. My latest was last year. I was headed up to the pass with several people in the car -- and a marmot suddenly darted in front of me. I gently adjusted the steering but still hit it. I did not use the brakes. My previous, election night 2018, I was headed to town just after dark and saw a large brown animal approaching the side of the car. It was a full-sized cow elk and it hit the side of my car. Whew! If I had been a second or two later, I would have hit the animal with the front of my car. In this case, the animal tried to stop and just brushed the car -- no damage.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

^ during my more nocturnal days, I hit four deer in a two year span, definitely agree, you can't circumnavigate them, you have to per-navigate them. One small bonus (for me, not the deer) is that when cops or adjusters see the embedded deer hair, no insurance deductible!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ during my more nocturnal days, I hit four deer in a two year span, definitely agree, you can't circumnavigate them, you have to per-navigate them. One small bonus (for me, not the deer) is that when cops or adjusters see the embedded deer hair, no insurance deductible!
    That's why I always keep a bag of deer hair in my glove box.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    If they’re hit right, the venison stays good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Living in an area with huge amount of wildlife and mountainous roads, you are mentally prepared for animals suddenly appearing on the road. No swerving for deer, coyotes or smaller animals. First, you can flip your car on even a good road. Second, you can lose control and leave the road -- with all sorts of bad things: hitting a large tree or boulders or, more likely, rolling down a steep embankment. My latest was last year. I was headed up to the pass with several people in the car -- and a marmot suddenly darted in front of me. I gently adjusted the steering but still hit it. I did not use the brakes. My previous, election night 2018, I was headed to town just after dark and saw a large brown animal approaching the side of the car. It was a full-sized cow elk and it hit the side of my car. Whew! If I had been a second or two later, I would have hit the animal with the front of my car. In this case, the animal tried to stop and just brushed the car -- no damage.
    Yea, I live in a part of the country with huge numbers of wildlife - deer, bear, coyotes, foxes, bobcats, mountain lions (allegedly), moose, skunks, raccoons, woodchucks, etc., any one of which may be crossing the road at the same time you're driving along (whether day or night). I've been lucky to have "hit" only one deer (it actually skidded into the side of my car after I had stopped quickly to avoid hitting his "mate" that crossed in front of me and, luckily, I think it was OK (ran off into the woods after hitting my car) but it put a good size dent into the front left side of the car and crumpled the hood partly. But I have had several close calls over the years. My daughter did hit a baby bear a couple of summers ago (ugh) but I don't think killed it (we couldn't find the injured bear). I've "terminated" the lives of quite a few squirrels and chipmunks over the years. It is NEVER pleasant hitting a large animal and many people around us have been killed in car accidents, swerving to avoid hitting the animal. A friend of mine who own an auto body repair shop told me that a substantial percentage of his business is repairing cars damaged in animal collisions.

that there is some advanced thinking! When I had one of the earliest Subarus (1970s) they had zero rust proofing (large holes appeared in the fenders within two years), and I kept hitting deer and got new fenders...one modest deer (120 lbs max) took out two fenders, the hood, and radiator...Subarus were pretty flimsy back then (but reliable).

Another theory on what might have happened?

https://nypost.com/2021/03/01/tiger-...perts-suggest/

Forensics expert who examined the site thinks Tiger MAY have fallen asleep (which may explain no braking or skid marks initially) at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post

Forensics expert who examined the site thinks Tiger MAY have fallen asleep (which may explain no braking or skid marks initially) at the wheel.
    Hey! Are you trying to get us back on topic or what? You wouldn't be double-posting as bundabergdevil, would ya? I hear that happens 'round here.

Hey! Are you trying to get us back on topic or what? You wouldn't be double-posting as bundabergdevil, would ya? I hear that happens 'round here.
    My guess is to what happened is one of three things:
    1) Driver error
    2) Vehicle malfunction
    3) Alien death ray

...I have my favorite, but I'll keep it to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    1) Driver error
    2) Vehicle malfunction
    3) Alien death ray

So I guess you are suggesting that not only were there aliens, but that they were incompetent. Yeah, seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So I guess you are suggesting that not only were there aliens, but that they were incompetent. Yeah, seems plausible.
    Or, that they are covering for the fact that Tiger is really an alien!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Speed seems very likely to be a factor, because, ya know, physics. Sort of like how unforced TOs seem to be a clear cause of Duke losses.
    Post of the month.

I mean it's only the first but

1) Driver error
    2) Vehicle malfunction
    3) Alien death ray

Is an ethnic space laser an option?

Deer-car interactions are pretty common in the Triangle. Doesn't seem to end well for the deer.

Our two deer-car interactions took place in the mountains, one near the entrance of Stone Mountain State Park in N.C. resulted in a dead deer and an undriveable car. The second was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and was a glancing blow, with minor car damage and a deer that ran away.

But no moose, elk or bear collisions.

So far.

My instinct isn't to swerve but rather slam on brakes. Even for birds or squirrels. Not a conscious decision. Just the way I'm wired, I guess.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 03-01-2021 at 04:43 PM.

Responding to this and the other deer posts.

Swerving never works out well, no matter what is or isn't in the road.

I wish someone had learned me the following in rural Georgia, although fortunately I never had to learn it the hard way: when I got to Duke, a kid from Michigan told me, if a collision looks unavoidable, "aim at the deer's butt. They can't go backwards and they might go forwards."

I slow down and they usually go forwards. Fortunate never to have collided with one. I seem to remember when I was in gradskool, a woman was killed by a buck through her windshield on Guess Road.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Responding to this and the other deer posts.

Swerving never works out well, no matter what is or isn't in the road.

I wish someone had learned me the following in rural Georgia, although fortunately I never had to learn it the hard way: when I got to Duke, a kid from Michigan told me, if a collision looks unavoidable, "aim at the deer's butt. They can't go backwards and they might go forwards."

I slow down and they usually go forwards. Fortunate never to have collided with one. I seem to remember when I was in gradskool, a woman was killed by a buck through her windshield on Guess Road.
    Another Helpful Hint From Heloise: if you somehow avoid the deer that just bolted in front of you, start braking because there's a high probability that one or more deer are about to follow. They're somewhat like mice, there's never just one.

So would complete inattention to the road caused by, hypothetically, looking at his phone for too long. How can they know the difference between being asleep and being inattentive for other reasons? The physical evidence (lack of skid marks etc.) would be the same.

Given the fact that he was on his way to some sort of photo shoot or appearance, and I think I read he busted out of the parking lot pretty fast cuz he was running late, I'd say the chances that he fell asleep in those circumstances are low.

But bigger picture: why does any of this matter? The only one hurt was himself. There are no charges to be brought. I don't know who's spending money on accident reconstructionists or why, but I don't see the point. Further investigation for the purpose of . . . what? Serving the public's curiosity about a celebrity I guess. Sounds the police have closed this matter, and correctly so.

...But bigger picture: why does any of this matter? The only one hurt was himself. There are no charges to be brought. I don't know who's spending money on accident reconstructionists or why, but I don't see the point. Further investigation for the purpose of . . . what? Serving the public's curiosity about a celebrity I guess. Sounds the police have closed this matter, and correctly so.
    Well said tommy.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My instinct isn't to swerve but rather slam on brakes. Even for birds or squirrels. Not a conscious decision. Just the way I'm wired, I guess.
    I brake for squirrels also. But it's not a sexy bumper sticker.

And more than ever I fear getting rammed from behind by someone on their phone. I just hope they're rich.

But bigger picture: why does any of this matter? The only one hurt was himself. There are no charges to be brought. I don't know who's spending money on accident reconstructionists or why, but I don't see the point. Further investigation for the purpose of . . . what? Serving the public's curiosity about a celebrity I guess. Sounds the police have closed this matter, and correctly so.
    Well, most of us on this thread have clearly moved on (strayed?). So yay for us?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    for what it may be worth, USA Today (Gannett) got three car accident experts (who aren't involved) to weigh in, and they put forward a fairly convincing case that Woods fell asleep..

3) Alien death ray

Maybe alien sleep ray?
    (PS...it was in the morning, and with the reports that he had almost hit another car in the parking lot, I'm not buying the "asleep" thing. At least not naturally. I don't care what the sheriff says.)
    I've never woken up and then taken a nap immediately once I was behind the wheel. And if I did, I'm assuming the insurance companies would love me, since they wouldn't be paying a dime.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 03-01-2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Fix quote tag
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."