Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I read (I'll see if I can find it) that the black box in the vehicle might have infrared measurements of his eye movements. How's that for freaky?

Edit: Couldn't immediately find the article, but it seems I didn't dream it up. There's other good info in this article about the things the black box might record.

https://www.boston.com/sports/golf/2...cause-of-wreck

Apropos of nothing, I was thinking this morning what could cause me to do what Tiger did, so I could give him the benefit of the doubt. Going a little too fast on a curvy road...a spider crawling on my neck could do it. Or a bee in the car. Or a gecko up the leg. I don't think any of those things would show up on the black box.
    Don’t you think if a gecko was running up your leg or a spider on your neck you would at least hit the brake?

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    Don’t you think if a gecko was running up your leg or a spider on your neck you would at least hit the brake?
    I do NOT want to find out. But yes.

Not proposing the gecko theory...

If a gecko ran up my leg I could envision a scenario where I accidently floor it. Then if the car hits something causing airbag deployment...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Not proposing the gecko theory...

If a gecko ran up my leg I could envision a scenario where I accidently floor it. Then if the car hits something causing airbag deployment...
    Instead of a gecko what if it was a stoat that ran up your leg? Would the outcome be similar?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Instead of a gecko what if it was a stoat that ran up your leg? Would the outcome be similar?
    Yes. But not a shoat.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yes. But not a shoat.
    I might shoat myself in that situation.

This thread has taken an interesting turn toward the hypothetical...

What if it’s two squirrels playing a game of chicken on the road?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    What if it’s two squirrels playing a game of chicken on the road?
    I love animals...but if it's between a couple of tree rats and smashing my leg to bits, there's gonna be a couple of flat squirrels in the road. Plus, just braking is the best option.

I really don’t understand what’s happening in this thread anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I thought we were discussing unlikely events that involve animals in cars.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I thought we were discussing unlikely events that involve animals in cars.
    Well, rule #1 here in the mountains, is that if an animal jumps out in front of your car, drive through it -- do not attempt to swerve to avoid. I had one scary experience when a mule deer jumped in front of my car with a cliff on both sides of the road. I braked slightly and kept the car heading straight. Some damage to both car and deer, but I was fine and car was drive-able. (I was scared a bit -- but the family from Wisconsin driving behind me saw the whole thing and were totally shaken up.)

Anyway, there is nothing in Palos Verde (except a person) that should have caused Tiger to swerve.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Some risk tradeoffs may need to be made for very large critters -- elk, moose or cattle -- hope I don't have to find out'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

A roach or a snake and my wife will floor it a find the biggest tree to hit to ensure she kills it!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, rule #1 here in the mountains, is that if an animal jumps out in front of your car, drive through it -- do not attempt to swerve to avoid. I had one scary experience when a mule deer jumped in front of my car with a cliff on both sides of the road. I braked slightly and kept the car heading straight. Some damage to both car and deer, but I was fine and car was drive-able. (I was scared a bit -- but the family from Wisconsin driving behind me saw the whole thing and were totally shaken up.)

Anyway, there is nothing in Palos Verde (except a person) that should have caused Tiger to swerve.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Some risk tradeoffs may need to be made for very large critters -- elk, moose or cattle -- hope I don't have to find out'
    Lots of horses, riding areas, stables, etc. And tons of coyotes. See one of those unexpectedly and trust me you're gonna swerve.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This checks out. Cougars are in their dens a 7am.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    This checks out. Cougars are in their dens a 7am.
    Cougars in L.A.? In Rancho Palos Verdes? They're not in their dens at 7am, they're at yoga class.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'm just glad Tiger is going to be ok. He may not play play on the PGA tour again(I won't bet against him) but he'll be here for his kids. Tiger has seemed to be in a better place lately and that's good to see.

Get well Tiger.

for what it may be worth, USA Today (Gannett) got three car accident experts (who aren't involved) to weigh in, and they put forward a fairly convincing case that Woods fell asleep..they base this on the "fact" that while the road curved to the right, the vehicle went absolutely straight...that and the absence of skid marks tell them he was dozing. So there's that...

One of them opined it probably wasn't speed that caused the wreck, though (IMO) he has no way of knowing, and it would seem that if you're driving downhill asleep, speed could very much become a factor. Anyway, that's their view.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    for what it may be worth, USA Today (Gannett) got three car accident experts (who aren't involved) to weigh in, and they put forward a fairly convincing case that Woods fell asleep..they base this on the "fact" that while the road curved to the right, the vehicle went absolutely straight...that and the absence of skid marks tell them he was dozing. So there's that...

One of them opined it probably wasn't speed that caused the wreck, though (IMO) he has no way of knowing, and it would seem that if you're driving downhill asleep, speed could very much become a factor. Anyway, that's their view.
    Speed seems very likely to be a factor, because, ya know, physics. Sort of like how unforced TOs seem to be a clear cause of Duke losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Speed seems very likely to be a factor, because, ya know, physics. Sort of like how unforced TOs seem to be a clear cause of Duke losses.
    yes, I would definitely bet on high speed...just felt compelled to note what an uninvolved "expert" opined...I think nodding off downhill will do that...