Page 47 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I think good JJ said it
    Smart man that JJ!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think the team is actually fairly easy to understand. Elite offense, horrific defense. Passes the eye test, stats, etc. They are the 6th best team offensively (2nd in the last month alone) and 28th best team defensively (out of 30).

I hate to say it, but the issue with defense is mainly on Ingram and Zion. Adams is a very good defensive player; as is Lonzo. Bledsoe was 2nd team All-Defense last year. That's three starters with significantly "better than average" defensive chops. The bench isn't great, but Hart is a solid defender. Alexander-Walker is not good. Redick has become a disaster on D (at this point in his career, he has no mobility). There are defensive pieces, but at the very minimum, Ingram needs to be "okay" (and graduate from "bad") and Zion needs to be "bad" (and graduate from "turn-style Trae Young-bad defense").
    I think this is spot on. Ingram with his length should be a better defender. He reminds me of Kevin Durant in a lot of ways and Durant improved his defense greatly, IMHO. Not sure what's up with Zion. He shows flashes where he's playing decent D but it needs to be more consistent. He's actually short for an NBA PF.

A lot of times when the Pels lose, I'll look at the box score and see where someone took and missed a bunch of shots (3s). Earlier in the season, it was Ball but he has been shooting well of late. Last night Ingram was 1 for 10 from 4 and Bledsoe was 4 of 10. That's a lot of missed shots...I mean 1 for 10 is really bad. Speaking of Bledsoe, I don't see him as a great fit on this team and I think they need a "3 and D" guy playing the 2. Wish JJ could play better D, he'd be what they need.

I have to admit, I still just love watching Zion play. He's just fun to watch. And man, is he effective when he sets a screen. He's still only 20, has gotten better this year and can get even better in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Last night Ingram was 1 for 10 from 4
    Well, there's your problem. Those 4-pointers are just out of his range.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Love Ingram but he blew it on that last play after the Pels stole the ball on the inbounds. Down three, 4 seconds left... and he drives the lane? Ugh.
    No doubt. But none of those guys wanted to shoot the three (Hart, then Ball, then Ingram). Ball had the best look of the three of them, but passed up a shot he could have gotten off. Still, none of that excuses Ingram driving into traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Still fuming about the michigan state game.

We should have been a final four team.
    We should have won the National Championship. Period.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yea that team was well positioned to win it all.

Can't factor in variables like "refs swallowing whistles on bear hugs" though.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Or another team playing better that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Or another team playing better that game.
    I don't think "MSU playing better" and "refs swallowing whistles" are mutually exclusive here.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I thought it was a Thanos joke too. It's amazing how quickly Zion has developed into a superstar. I thought he'd be good, but I didn't think he'd be this good this fast.
    He is getting in much better shape. That has helped a lot. He is a unique human. I saw a video of Myles Garrett (Google it) playing basketball. Just imagine him and Zion coming at you on the break.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He is getting in much better shape. That has helped a lot. He is a unique human. I saw a video of Myles Garrett (Google it) playing basketball. Just imagine him and Zion coming at you on the break.
    Don't let Garrett grab any helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Well, there's your problem. Those 4-pointers are just out of his range.
    JJ sure was good at em tho.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    I think the team is actually fairly easy to understand. Elite offense, horrific defense. Passes the eye test, stats, etc. They are the 6th best team offensively (2nd in the last month alone) and 28th best team defensively (out of 30).

I hate to say it, but the issue with defense is mainly on Ingram and Zion. Adams is a very good defensive player; as is Lonzo. Bledsoe was 2nd team All-Defense last year. That's three starters with significantly "better than average" defensive chops. The bench isn't great, but Hart is a solid defender. Alexander-Walker is not good. Redick has become a disaster on D (at this point in his career, he has no mobility). There are defensive pieces, but at the very minimum, Ingram needs to be "okay" (and graduate from "bad") and Zion needs to be "bad" (and graduate from "turn-style Trae Young-bad defense").
    Lonzo may be capable of being a good defensive player, but I've seen him frequently give very little effort this year switching, getting around screens, and otherwise defending shooters, which may be why NO ranks so low in defending the 3. I also don't think Zion is as bad as you say. I think as his numbers have been exploding, he's become more disruptive, active, and alert on defense. He still has a learning curve and needs to figure out how to manage his intensity on defense playing an NBA schedule, as opposed to college, where he could go full throttle the whole time, but I think he's trending up on both ends of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Lonzo may be capable of being a good defensive player, but I've seen him frequently give very little effort this year switching, getting around screens, and otherwise defending shooters, which may be why NO ranks so low in defending the 3. I also don't think Zion is as bad as you say. I think as his numbers have been exploding, he's become more disruptive, active, and alert on defense. He still has a learning curve and needs to figure out how to manage his intensity on defense playing an NBA schedule, as opposed to college, where he could go full throttle the whole time, but I think he's trending up on both ends of the court.
    I agree. When I watch them, it's not Zion, or Ingram, or any one player. The team, as whole, just seems to care very little about that end of the court..except maybe Steven Adams. It doesn't seem to matter who's in the game. And it's weird because I always pegged Stan as a good defensive coach.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    I agree. When I watch them, it's not Zion, or Ingram, or any one player. The team, as whole, just seems to care very little about that end of the court..except maybe Steven Adams. It doesn't seem to matter who's in the game. And it's weird because I always pegged Stan as a good defensive coach.
    He’s certainly known as being a good defensive coach. But his work is cut out for him with this group. And it’s not a lack of athleticism (except for JJ) causing the defensive breakdowns. It’s clearly lack of effort and somewhat lack of understanding and communication. Based on how they came back on the Celtics last week, it’s clear they can play good defense when they put their mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    He’s certainly known as being a good defensive coach. But his work is cut out for him with this group. And it’s not a lack of athleticism (except for JJ) causing the defensive breakdowns. It’s clearly lack of effort and somewhat lack of understanding and communication. Based on how they came back on the Celtics last week, it’s clear they can play good defense when they put their mind to it.
    JJ mentioned on a recent podcast that the compressed schedule has resulting in minimal practice time. It’s hard to implement Van Gundy’s defensive system without practice.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Myles Garrett looks freakishly muscular on a basketball court. You just don’t see guys hooping who look that way. He’s significantly more muscular and cut than Zion. And he looks a bit on the slow side and perhaps lacking some of the agility of a high-level basketball player.

Still, the idea of seeing he and Zion coming at me on a fast-break? No, just no. I’d be getting the heck out of Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Myles Garrett looks freakishly muscular on a basketball court. You just don’t see guys hooping who look that way. He’s significantly more muscular and cut than Zion. And he looks a bit on the slow side and perhaps lacking some of the agility of a high-level basketball player.

Still, the idea of seeing he and Zion coming at me on a fast-break? No, just no. I’d be getting the heck out of Dodge.
    I noticed Garett’s slowness as well- well compared to Zion. Zion is so explosive with his move to the basket and he is so big and strong- that the biggest and strongest players simply bounce off him. When he develops his jumper- he will be at another level.

Great Seth Curry read in the WSJ

It's paywalled but this link is supposed to be a free share link:

https://emailshare.cmail19.com/t/n/d...ca09f-l-d-r-l/

The NBA’s Top Shooter Is Named Curry. No, Not That One.
    Philadelphia 76ers guard Seth Curry has quietly become the most accurate 3-point shooter in the league—and his own family.
    His accuracy over the past five years (44.3%) is the highest in the league. It’s also the highest in his own family. Stephen Curry takes more shots, more difficult shots and more shots that make you squeal. Seth Curry makes more of his shots. The only player who has ever been a more reliable career 3-point shooter is someone the Currys happen to know: Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr (45.4%)

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Yeah, would have been nice to see that 2019 team take it all, and Zion was such a thrill to watch.

But that team was not dominant by season's end -- they played 3 games in the NCAA that could have gone either way:

Duke 77 -- UCF 76 (as Johnny's son went wild)
    Duke 75 -- VaTech 73
    Michigan State 68 -- Duke 67

FWIW, the 1986 and 1999 losses stung more, and there are others which were painful.

maybe it's been covered, but I chuckled at Ingram's oblique dis of Lebron, saying Zion is the first player he's played with who's as good as he is...