Page 663 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 163563613653661662663664665673713763 ... LastLast
Results 13,241 to 13,260 of 22200

I don't think anyone will be shocked...

Pfizer-BioNTech Shot Stops Covid Spread, Israeli Study Shows

By Naomi Kresge
    and Jason Gale
    February 21, 2021, 5:49 AM CST Updated on February 21, 2021, 4:00 PM CST

• Vaccine was 89.4% effective at preventing confirmed infections
    • Stopping virus transmission is key to ending Covid-19 pandemic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...li-study-shows

I tried for a while this morning to find the tweets or more info on the study but came up empty. I'm interested in the details if anybody sees more info. Thanks!

Israel study

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil2K View Post
    I tried for a while this morning to find the tweets or more info on the study but came up empty. I'm interested in the details if anybody sees more info. Thanks!
    Here's another article: https://www.technologyreview.com/202...al-world-test/

Last night there was an MSNBC special:
    On Assignment with Richard Engel - COVID Mutants

It had a pretty good explanation of how variants arise and why we should be trying really hard to minimize the total number of cases worldwide to lessen mutation opportunities. Overall it painted a pretty grim picture of the prospects for 2021.

I have questions about a couple of things mentioned in the program.

1. They stated that, "The Brazilian and South African variants can infect again and again.” Is this true or is there an extra "again" in their statement?

2. There is an American variant the Cal-20c variant. What is known about this?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Last night there was an MSNBC special:
    On Assignment with Richard Engel - COVID Mutants

It had a pretty good explanation of how variants arise and why we should be trying really hard to minimize the total number of cases worldwide to lessen mutation opportunities. Overall it painted a pretty grim picture of the prospects for 2021.

I have questions about a couple of things mentioned in the program.

1. They stated that, "The Brazilian and South African variants can infect again and again.” Is this true or is there an extra "again" in their statement?

2. There is an American variant the Cal-20c variant. What is known about this?
    one again for each variant?

I agree, minimize total cases, minimize chances for mutation. This should have been part of the strategy. Whatever pain we had until the virus was cleared up would have been minimized the long term affect to our world. Sadly, that's not the approach that countries took. It really wasn't just a US problem since Europe and South America also had the same issues.

Glasses --> Good.

Wearing glasses can make you less likely to catch COVID.

Nerds win.

Linky

Glasses --> Good.

Nerds win.

Linky
    Our job/employer has required us to don protective eyewear for at least the last six months, maybe longer. They can be goggles (no, not beer goggles) or a face shield. I look doubly (? triply) nerdy as I already wear eyeglasses. 26.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Glasses --> Good.

Nerds win.

Linky
    It's interesting that it has less to do with the glasses-wearing "eye barrier" and more than those with glasses seem to have a different BEHAVIOR. That is, they apparently touch their eyes less. I actually would have thought they fiddle with their glasses more, but I guess that's not really touching your eyes. I definitely have been more conscious while I'm out to make sure to not take my face, mouth, or eyes until I thoroughly wash my hands. But if you think there's an itch, it's psychologically really hard to resist.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    It's interesting that it has less to do with the glasses-wearing "eye barrier" and more than those with glasses seem to have a different BEHAVIOR. That is, they apparently touch their eyes less. I actually would have thought they fiddle with their glasses more, but I guess that's not really touching your eyes. I definitely have been more conscious while I'm out to make sure to not take my face, mouth, or eyes until I thoroughly wash my hands. But if you think there's an itch, it's psychologically really hard to resist.
    I remember an observation from one fellow: The main thing I've learned from COVID is that I really, really want to touch my face.

When you think aboouut you I touch my face.

PR problems

This week, the talking points in the media seem to be that we won't be back to normal until the end of 2021 and that even if you had the vaccine, you still shouldn't dine indoors or congregate with other people. (no links, as I am basing this on local and national news broadcasts). If I were a vaccine skeptic, what in that messaging makes me want to get the vaccine? Somewhere along the line, the message has changed from slow the spread and conserve medical resources to eliminate virtually all threats of contracting COVID (which may never happen). I think the PR on this stinks and that it was a problem to appoint Dr. Fauci as a spokesperson. He is smart and accomplished, but that doesn't mean he is skilled at delivering a persuasive message.

Quote Originally Posted by sparv View Post
    This week, the talking points in the media seem to be that we won't be back to normal until the end of 2021 and that even if you had the vaccine, you still shouldn't dine indoors or congregate with other people. (no links, as I am basing this on local and national news broadcasts). If I were a vaccine skeptic, what in that messaging makes me want to get the vaccine? Somewhere along the line, the message has changed from slow the spread and conserve medical resources to eliminate virtually all threats of contracting COVID (which may never happen). I think the PR on this stinks and that it was a problem to appoint Dr. Fauci as a spokesperson. He is smart and accomplished, but that doesn't mean he is skilled at delivering a persuasive message.
    I BELIEVE the congregating and dining indoors was for the protection of other people, not yourself. He is preaching caution more b/c there is still no clear evidence that a fully vaccinated person cannot spread to others. He has also said that he thinks it will be OK for folks who are ALL vaccinated to get together. But he is waiting for the CDC to make that call in the near future.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by sparv View Post
    Since when does the media get anything right? I've listened to Dr. Fauci. What he says is that in addition to getting the vaccines out, we need to pay attention to infection rates. We can't be "back to normal" until infection rates are very low. That message has, quite frankly, NEVER CHANGED! Bending the curve? Was about bringing infection rates down. Public health officials started saying that last March. Dr. Fauci keeps telling the truth. Americans have become so used to lies that a lot of us can't handle the truth. Alas, it is possible that some people will choose not to listen to Dr. Fauci for political reasons, but it's not like those same people will listen to another public health official, especially if that public health official disagrees with their buddy who happens to have an MD. Sticking with one of the best infectious disease experts in the world as spokesperson makes sense even if a lot of people won't listen.

As for vaccine skeptics, if enough people remain vaccine skeptic once the vaccine is widely available, there will come a time when private companies will have to become the enforcers. No, you can't get on a plane without a covid vaccine. No, you can't use our gym without a covid vaccine. No, you can't work onsite without a covid vaccine. That kind of thing. (Fingers crossed that they include flu shots in their enforcement policies!!) Hopefully the message will finally get through that the choice is not between getting vaccinated or not getting vaccinated, it's between getting vaccinated or continuing to practice social distancing/wearing a mask/staying home as much as possible.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Since when does the media get anything right? I've listened to Dr. Fauci. What he says is that in addition to getting the vaccines out, we need to pay attention to infection rates. We can't be "back to normal" until infection rates are very low. That message has, quite frankly, NEVER CHANGED! Bending the curve? Was about bringing infection rates down. Public health officials started saying that last March. Dr. Fauci keeps telling the truth. Americans have become so used to lies that a lot of us can't handle the truth. Alas, it is possible that some people will choose not to listen to Dr. Fauci for political reasons, but it's not like those same people will listen to another public health official, especially if that public health official disagrees with their buddy who happens to have an MD. Sticking with one of the best infectious disease experts in the world as spokesperson makes sense even if a lot of people won't listen.

As for vaccine skeptics, if enough people remain vaccine skeptic once the vaccine is widely available, there will come a time when private companies will have to become the enforcers. No, you can't get on a plane without a covid vaccine. No, you can't use our gym without a covid vaccine. No, you can't work onsite without a covid vaccine. That kind of thing. (Fingers crossed that they include flu shots in their enforcement policies!!) Hopefully the message will finally get through that the choice is not between getting vaccinated or not getting vaccinated, it's between getting vaccinated or continuing to practice social distancing/wearing a mask/staying home as much as possible.
    Can't spork you, but yeah!

As for vaccine skeptics, if enough people remain vaccine skeptic once the vaccine is widely available.
    Also add: once it is fully approved by FDA. While it is still only approved for emergency use only, places are finding it difficult to mandate. I think once it gets full approval, it will be mandated by a lot of employers and the other organizations/companies you mentioned.

I wonder how many [insert favorite curse word] will try and claim HIPPA as a reason they can't provide proof they have been vaccinated?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Also add: once it is fully approved by FDA. While it is still only approved for emergency use only, places are finding it difficult to mandate. I think once it gets full approval, it will be mandated by a lot of employers and the other organizations/companies you mentioned.
    Yes, thank you, agreed.

Very well put. Thank you.

Not to get too political, but America was founded on two principles - rugged individualism/individual liberties and concern for the common good. Unfortunately, some people's overly stubborn obsession with the first principle gets in the way of the second one. At times like this, the common good really needs to be priority 1. We have a tricky balancing act between getting rid of covid asap but also keep people employed, educated, etc. Fauci (and I'm sure the people around him - he is smart enough to know he doesn't know everything) are doing as well as possible in managing this. He has been far from perfect, and he would be the first to admit that. But his approach is our best option. Some people just don't want to hear that. As BD so eloquently noted, hopefully we can find a way to move forward so that these people don't ruin things for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I wonder how many [insert favorite curse word] will try and claim HIPPA as a reason they can't provide proof they have been vaccinated?
    If you really want to get picky, showing an ID is showing PII. If someone wants to cry HIPAA, they s/he won't be going out much.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    We aren't there yet, and maybe we never will be, but I don't see that strategy being successful, although I am sure some will try. I can foresee with places like gyms, some choosing to go the path of "you can join here without proof of vaccination" and we will have segregated by vaccine status facilities. That won't work for planes. We might never require vaccination for domestic flights, but by sometime in 2022, I suspect all international air travel will require vaccination documentation.