Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Jicama. I pronounced it with a hard j in front of customers a couple of years ago! Hard j!!!! It was awful!!!
    Many years ago, we were in Chili's where one of my best friends ordered some Fah-jee-tahs and a Cha-hooah-hooah beer. The waitress just stared at her. No sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Many years ago, we were in Chili's where one of my best friends ordered some Fah-jee-tahs and a Cha-hooah-hooah beer. The waitress just stared at her. No sense of humor.
    My dad did that and now I do it. Circle of life. I also mispronounced quinoa as quinn-ô-a in public. I didn't grow up knowing what quinoa and jicama were! I had literally never met a person who had eaten them (at least knowingly) until I was at least in my 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Your best friend was Les Newman? How did he pronounce Chi-Chi Rodriquez of golfing fame?

When in Oklahoma for Niece Barbara's graduation from OSU, we went to get a bottle of wine and heard an employee mention cabernet - complete with the t sound, rhyming with cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    How did he pronounce Chi-Chi Rodriquez of golfing fame?
    Didn't she sing a duet with Elton John?

My dad did that and now I do it. Circle of life. I also mispronounced quinoa as quinn-ô-a in public. I didn't grow up knowing what quinoa and jicama were! I had literally never met a person who had eaten them (at least knowingly) until I was at least in my 30s.
    Did you know anyone on the Bird Seed and Brown Rice diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Did you know anyone on the Bird Seed and Brown Rice diet?
    I was aware that there were people called "vegetarians" as a kid. They lived out west. With the fullness of time I had my horizons expanded. I became a vegetarian for 6 months and quite liked it. Don't tell anyone.

I was aware that there were people called "vegetarians" as a kid. They lived out west. With the fullness of time I had my horizons expanded. I became a vegetarian for 6 months and quite liked it. Don't tell anyone.
    friend once told me that vegetables are what food eats.

"Good" and "well" interchanged incorrectly.

It's a losing fight.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    As an avowed Keto diet adherent (demonym: Ketoan?) I have had to learn to glory in the love of green vegetables. It also meant I had to learn to cook them properly. Delicious vegetables are harder to prepare than delicious meat. Meat is inherently delicious (other than turkey) while vegetables are not inherently delicious. One must change the terrible properties of vegetables so that they metamorphose into something delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    "Good" and "well" interchanged incorrectly.

It's a losing fight.
    I can't properly handle I/me and good/well. It's embarrassing because I actually know the rules. It is a failure of execution.

My BiL saw a great bumper sticker: I love animals! They're delicious! His son, the vegatarian then/vegan now, didn't find it amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    My BiL saw a great bumper sticker: I love animals! They're delicious! His son, the vegatarian then/vegan now, didn't find it amusing.
    I prefer the one that says, "I love vegetarians. They're crunchy and taste good with ketchup." My cousin was not humored.

To your friend I'd say we're designed to be omnivores, which I rather enjoy.

I've seen all types over the years. People that don't eat any green foods. People that don't eat any white foods. People that don't eat any foods that aren't pre-cooked. People that only (and I mean only) drink canned Pepsi. People that have a cheeseburger from the same place every day for lunch. People that make a giant vat of lentil soup and then individually vac-seal portions to get them through the winter.

Lots of ways to eat. I don't know how or why people develop tastes and aversions but I've been very fortunate to have an open mind and an accommodating palette. My rule when it comes to food: "I'll put anything in my mouth once but will never eat anything bigger than my own head."

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    To your friend I'd say we're designed to be omnivores, which I rather enjoy.

I've seen all types over the years. People that don't eat any green foods. People that don't eat any white foods. People that don't eat any foods that aren't pre-cooked. People that only (and I mean only) drink canned Pepsi. People that have a cheeseburger from the same place every day for lunch. People that make a giant vat of lentil soup and then individually vac-seal portions to get them through the winter.

Lots of ways to eat. I don't know how or why people develop tastes and aversions but I've been very fortunate to have an open mind and an accommodating palette. My rule when it comes to food: "I'll put anything in my mouth once but will never eat anything bigger than my own head."
    I'm not endorsing his view, merely passing it along. Vegetables and I get along great. Fresh asparagus tonight...

Haven't scoured this thoroughly, but app-uh-latch-an versus app-uh-LAY-chan.

Kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Haven't scoured this thoroughly, but app-uh-latch-an versus app-uh-LAY-chan.

Kills me.
    I thought there were some accepted regional/native vs non-native differences on this one.

This article seems to suggest that to an extent:
    http://expatalachians.com/politics-of-pronunciation-appa-latch-uh-vs-appa-lay-cha

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I thought there were some accepted regional/native vs non-native differences on this one.

This article seems to suggest that to an extent:
    http://expatalachians.com/politics-of-pronunciation-appa-latch-uh-vs-appa-lay-cha
    Nope. There's a right and a wrong in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Nope. There's a right and a wrong in my book.
    I guess I don't know which is right or wrong, but I grew up in western PA in the heart of Appalachia and I have always pronouncd it with a long a (the third a in the word).

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    I guess I don't know which is right or wrong, but I grew up in western PA in the heart of Appalachia and I have always pronouncd it with a long a (the third a in the word).
    They’re the ones who say yinz, right?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    They’re the ones who say yinz, right?

-jk
    Yep. Not to mention gum band, jumbo, red up, nebby, and spicket, among other linguistic atrocities.

(For the uninitiated, that's rubber band, baloney, straighten up, nosy, and spigot, respectively, in Pittsbughese.)