Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

MBB Coaching Carousel 2021

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...60624811446275

Boston College has made it official. AD Patrick Kraft has fired Jim Christian … NOW.

The timing makes no sense. But then again, Kraft did try and make Christian play with 4 scholarship players a few weeks back.
    Sorta surprising to see them do this with a few weeks left in the season. Supposedly Howard Eisley, former BC guard and current assistant at Michigan, will be one of the folks looked at for the gig. I don't really see a former Dukie being in the mix for this on.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I could imagine Nate James for the job. I doubt Scheyer would be interested.

Catholic school fires a guy named Christian, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post

Yeah, you ain't lion.

Do you think they used the line:

"This job has ended. Go in peace to serve whomever you see fit."
    1200. DDMF.

Scottdude, do you think Beilein would take the job? He’s one of the names ESPN mentions. At 68, is he too old? He would certainly give them instant credibility.

I think they were nitwits to fire Al Skinner...his teams were tough, went to the tournament seven times, I remember (I think!) some really tough Duke-BC games.

I think they were nitwits to fire Al Skinner...his teams were tough, went to the tournament seven times, I remember (I think!) some really tough Duke-BC games.
    Agree. I didn't understand that. Skinner's BC teams were often tough competition and some of the games as I recall got pretty physical. A season I remember in particular was 2008-09 when BC beat #1 Carolina at Chapel Hill, and beat us at Cameron when we were ranked #5. Caro!ina won all the marbles that year and BC got clobbered by USC in the first round of the NCAA.

After BC, Skinner spent a couple of years spinning his wheels before getting an assistant job at Bryant. Then he went to Kennesaw State as head coach and I think only lasted a couple of years. I don't know what's happened to him since then.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatians98 View Post
    Agree. I didn't understand that. Skinner's BC teams were often tough competition and some of the games as I recall got pretty physical. A season I remember in particular was 2008-09 when BC beat #1 Carolina at Chapel Hill, and beat us at Cameron when we were ranked #5. Caro!ina won all the marbles that year and BC got clobbered by USC in the first round of the NCAA.

After BC, Skinner spent a couple of years spinning his wheels before getting an assistant job at Bryant. Then he went to Kennesaw State as head coach and I think only lasted a couple of years. I don't know what's happened to him since then.
    BC is 0-12 in Cameron as of this year. The game you are referencing was @BC.

I agree about Skinner. Christian, however, has the lowest win % of all BC coaches. He just couldn't put everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    BC is 0-12 in Cameron as of this year. The game you are referencing was @BC.

I agree about Skinner. Christian, however, has the lowest win % of all BC coaches. He just couldn't put everything together.
    You're right. I guess I didn't remember it that well.

I'm not sure why BC ever hired Jim Christian. His teams at TCU had 1 winning record in 4 years. At Ohio, he inherited a very strong team that had a great season in his first year. His second year they took a pretty big step back and then he got hired at BC. He did a nice job at Kent St a few decades ago, but the bottom line is that his track record as a head coach wasn't super impressive. It is hardly a surprise that he struggled to get a lower tier ACC team out of the lower tier.

BC doesn't have the tradition to make it a really attractive job, but it won't be too difficult to find someone better than Jim Christian.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Let's make this the annual carousel thread.

https://thespun.com/pac-12/arizona/m...er-sean-miller

-jk

The front page article mentions an opening at Northern Illinois.

That job was filled on Saturday, March 6.
    https://niuhuskies.com/news/2021/3/6...ead-coach.aspx

The Huskies hired Rashon Burno, a former PG at DePaul during the Pat Kennedy era (1999-2002).
    He played for Bob Hurley Sr. at St. Anthony's HS in Jersey City, NJ.
    Most recently, he was an Assistant Coach for Bobby Hurley at Arizona State.

Hot Seat

Link on coaches on the hot seat, warm seat, and we have an eye on you.

https://www.coachesdatabase.com/hot-seat-report/

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I don't think Indiana will get rid of Archie (though they could) and I think Notre Dame will give Brey, given his history, a little more time to turn things around, but if not, we could see three jobs in the state of Indiana open at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't think Indiana will get rid of Archie (though they could) and I think Notre Dame will give Brey, given his history, a little more time to turn things around, but if not, we could see three jobs in the state of Indiana open at the same time.
    For the “Brad Stevens to replace K” crowd, isn’t the IU job the one spot in CBB that he’d think about leaving the Celtics for? Can’t see it now, but if the Celtics don’t get to an NBA finals in the next few seasons and folks start to get restless, that would be an interesting move.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW, on almost every Michigan broadcast it gets mentioned that Howard Eisley or Phil Martelli could be potential hires at BC. If that's who they're eyeing, hopefully they won't be making any decisions for a long time (which would mean Michigan makes a deep tourney run), haha.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    For the “Brad Stevens to replace K” crowd, isn’t the IU job the one spot in CBB that he’d think about leaving the Celtics for? Can’t see it now, but if the Celtics don’t get to an NBA finals in the next few seasons and folks start to get restless, that would be an interesting move.
    Is there a Stevens IU connection, beyond the fact that he’s from Indiana? At this point, I wouldn’t see IU as a particular draw for a coach at the pinnacle of the profession. If for some reason things don’t work out in Boston, I would imaging Stevens will have many offers from other NBA franchises.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Is there a Stevens IU connection, beyond the fact that he’s from Indiana? At this point, I wouldn’t see IU as a particular draw for a coach at the pinnacle of the profession. If for some reason things don’t work out in Boston, I would imaging Stevens will have many offers from other NBA franchises.
    This. Very much like Billy Donovan, only even more suitors.

Stevens isn't on the hot seat right now, but the Celtics have clearly underperformed. I do think Ainge is much more to blame given that contract he gave to Walker in addition to the mediocre bench that they continue to ride.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club