Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I switched from a 2:1 to a 3:1 breathing (breath one side, stroke, stroke, stoke, breath the other) about 12 years ago. That seems to work for me. I don't do any intense intervals, just the equivalent of a jog in the water, and I have found that's great for me.
    Actually...I think that is exactly what I do. I alternate the side on which I breathe. (I just counted the breathing side as a stroke...which is why I described it as 2/1). It works well for me, too, as it keeps me more level in the water. Also, breathing more often (every stroke) actually seems to take more energy. Exhaling for two full strokes creates a nice, easy rhythm.

One other thing for the newbie swimmer...it helps to use a long stroke...pull/push your hands under water all the way down near your midline before pushing hands up and out around the hips, at least in the beginning. This will also help you develop a rhythm and it will keep you more on top of the water. Once you feel comfortable with that, you can tweak to see what gives you the most powerful stroke.

Anyone doing Peloton? (Haven’t read the whole thread).

I got a bike right before Xmas and did the beginner series and am now doing the power zone classes. Are these good to do? I’m just trying to get in better shape cardiovascularly and maybe drop a few pounds.

Generally riding about 10 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Actually...I think that is exactly what I do. I alternate the side on which I breathe. (I just counted the breathing side as a stroke...which is why I described it as 2/1). It works well for me, too, as it keeps me more level in the water. Also, breathing more often (every stroke) actually seems to take more energy. Exhaling for two full strokes creates a nice, easy rhythm.

One other thing for the newbie swimmer...it helps to use a long stroke...pull/push your hands under water all the way down near your midline before pushing hands up and out around the hips, at least in the beginning. This will also help you develop a rhythm and it will keep you more on top of the water. Once you feel comfortable with that, you can tweak to see what gives you the most powerful stroke.
    Yeah, I found the breath same side every stroke set feels more frenetic to me now even though that's how I learned and swam for many years. Occassionally, if I am doing a shorter intense set and find myself needing breath I'll snag an extra one but the breathing each side approach feels more balanced...though it has taught me my neck is tighter on one side!

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post

I got a bike right before Xmas and did the beginner series and am now doing the power zone classes. Are these good to do? I’m just trying to get in better shape cardiovascularly and maybe drop a few pounds.

I love my peloton! I do take some power zone classes, and the power zone test (20 minute FTP test) is really good to take because it calculates your zones and displays them in a bar on your screen. Some of the power zone instructors are really knowledgeable about training techniques (Matt Wilpers). While the power zone classes provide a good training regimen, especially if you mix the different types of PZ classes, I also like the HIIT classes and the Tabata classes, which can give you a very intense aerobic workout.

I feel the Peloton was my saving grace during the pandemic. I ride on it every day, and I also use Peloton Outdoor on the app for running. It’s nice to have the music, but also the instructors provide guidance for intervals, which has really helped me get back into running.

Also, there is a Duke Peloton group which does group rides every few weeks, including a Duke vs UNC ride this Saturday (they will add up our collective output after the class to see who wins). There is a Duke Peloton thread in the off-topic section...check that out if you want to be linked into the Duke Peloton group.

I love my peloton! I do take some power zone classes, and the power zone test (20 minute FTP test) is really good to take because it calculates your zones and displays them in a bar on your screen. Some of the power zone instructors are really knowledgeable about training techniques (Matt Wilpers). While the power zone classes provide a good training regimen, especially if you mix the different types of PZ classes, I also like the HIIT classes and the Tabata classes, which can give you a very intense aerobic workout.

I feel the Peloton was my saving grace during the pandemic. I ride on it every day, and I also use Peloton Outdoor on the app for running. It’s nice to have the music, but also the instructors provide guidance for intervals, which has really helped me get back into running.

Also, there is a Duke Peloton group which does group rides every few weeks, including a Duke vs UNC ride this Saturday (they will add up our collective output after the class to see who wins). There is a Duke Peloton thread in the off-topic section...check that out if you want to be linked into the Duke Peloton group.
    Didn't see any discussion on the Saturday Peloton ride in the Duke Peloton off topic thread. Am I posting in the wrong thread?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Didn't see any discussion on the Saturday Peloton ride in the Duke Peloton off topic thread. Am I posting in the wrong thread?
    That kind of stuff never happens here.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

It’s there now, but the rides are mostly posted on Facebook rather than the peloton thread here. There is a link on the thread to allow you to join the Facebook group, if you are interested in staying up to date on the rides.

Saturday’s ride is at 11:00 EST. We will ride to the on-demand ride from Jess King on 8/8/20 (sweat steady ride). Choose that ride and join at 11A. Add #foreverduke as your primary hashtag, and everyone will know which side you are on (plus then your output will count in our total).

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post

Powerzone rides are great for cardio, especially the long ones (1 hr plus). I was really starting to miss exercise during the pandemic. Got my Peloton in April and when I found powerzone rides I was hooked. It greatly enhanced my appreciation of the Peloton. Highly recommend doing an FTP test. Excellent way to keep track of your effort and progress as you work. Keeps you in the right zone throughout a workout. Only downside is that power as a metric skews to weight. I prefer tracking Power to Weight Ratio as a more honest basis for performance than raw wattage output.

Fun ride (even though Jess King is a psycho).

I have been a swimmer for a long time (since childhood and my life guarding days in high school and college). My advice as far as swimming freestyle for an extended period is to develop a steady breathing pattern. When I run, I use a 2/2 breathing pattern (2 steps exhaling, 2 steps inhaling). It is similar with swimming, although likely a 1/1 or 2/1 pattern. I actually prefer 2/1...I exhale steadily for two full strokes (obviously underwater), then inhale for one. This means I alternate the side on which I breathe, which also keeps me swimming in a straight line. Try to make sure your exhales and inhales are slow and steady. Avoid short, quick breaths as they are more likely to leave you gasping and short of breath. The better your breathing rhythm, the easier swimming will become.

If you are kicking hard, that could also tire you out. I almost drag my feet (but not so much that your feet sink though) and I kick lightly maybe once or twice a stroke.

Also, just as you have extended your total time swimming, try to set a goal for uninterrupted laps of freestyle. Start with something challenging but doable for you (6 straight laps, 10 straight laps...). Then at each swim, extend it by two laps.

The other strategy I always employed is to “think beyond the turn”. Don’t think about getting to the wall...think about the stroke that will follow your turn. I assume you are not doing flip turns, so it is important to touch the wall and immediately pull your knees/feet in to push off in the other direction...no pausing!

Hope some of this helps! Good luck!
    This was great advice. Thank you. I focused on switching my breathing pattern, not kicking too much and slowly increasing the number of consecutive laps of freestyle. It was a great 30 min workout. Can’t wait to get back in the pool again!

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    This was great advice. Thank you. I focused on switching my breathing pattern, not kicking too much and slowly increasing the number of consecutive laps of freestyle. It was a great 30 min workout. Can’t wait to get back in the pool again!
    That’s great! Keep it going! Since you are a runner, I think you will get to the point where you get a similar “runner’s high” from swimming.

That’s great! Keep it going! Since you are a runner, I think you will get to the point where you get a similar “runner’s high” from swimming.
    I swam and ran in high school, and I was a better swimmer than a runner.

FWIW, I have never gotten any kind of swimmer's high that compares to the runner's high I get from a four to 12 mile run.

To this day I still run regularly, but rarely swim. Mostly, because I enjoy running so much more, due to the runner's high.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

I swam and ran in high school, and I was a better swimmer than a runner.

FWIW, I have never gotten any kind of swimmer's high that compares to the runner's high I get from a four to 12 mile run.

To this day I still run regularly, but rarely swim. Mostly, because I enjoy running so much more, due to the runner's high.
    I agree it is not the same (“similar” might have been a stretch). But as I have aged, it has gotten much harder for me to run hard enough to get the runner’s high that I used to experience in my 20s and 30s. Swimming even just 1/2 mile does make me feel energized. So maybe I should call it a “senior citizen’s ‘runner’s high’”. I have to go to my peloton for a real aerobic workout...

A couple of buddies and I started a pushup routine January 1st. We are trying to do 500 push-ups a day x 5 out of 7 days. I have slowly ramped up from 150 a day until this week which is my first run at 500 a day. I am shocked that my body simply cannot get used to this. I'm not constantly sore, as much as constantly tight.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    A couple of buddies and I started a pushup routine January 1st. We are trying to do 500 push-ups a day x 5 out of 7 days. I have slowly ramped up from 150 a day until this week which is my first run at 500 a day. I am shocked that my body simply cannot get used to this. I'm not constantly sore, as much as constantly tight.
    Wow. Good luck!

I have started my own pushup regiment, with a much more modest goal which I hope to obtain by the end of Lent. The thought of putting in those types of numbers is staggering to me.

I am doing rest days in between active days, but I'm starting way behind where you obviously are starting. Just trying to get some upper body exercise in until I can get the kayaks out next month.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow. Good luck!

I have started my own pushup regiment, with a much more modest goal which I hope to obtain by the end of Lent. The thought of putting in those types of numbers is staggering to me.
    It really is brutal. And you know me. I am not very tough. My idea of roughing it is to stay at a hotel with no concierge service.

It really is brutal. And you know me. I am not very tough. My idea of roughing it is to stay at a hotel with no concierge service.
    How many reps of how many push-ups are you generally logging so far?

How many reps of how many push-ups are you generally logging so far?
    I am doing normal (shoulder width), wide grip, diamond and decline. A set of 40-50 every 20 minutes.

I try to vary the grip and do at least 2 sets of all of those.

I am doing normal (shoulder width), wide grip, diamond and decline. A set of 40-50 every 20 minutes.

I try to vary the grip and do at least 2 sets of all of those.
    Impressive, good luck.

I did six sets of 35 Saturday and called it a morning. I have a long way to go to get to my Easter goal.

(Several years ago, I decided to use Lent as an oppportunity to set a specific health self-improvement goal. Abstinence and suffering with the purpose of improving the temple which is the body. This year, it's push-ups and a weight target. Went ahead and started early this year. Down 13 pounds so far since January 1).

Impressive, good luck.

I did six sets of 35 Saturday and called it a morning. I have a long way to go to get to my Easter goal.

(Several years ago, I decided to use Lent as an oppportunity to set a specific health self-improvement goal. Abstinence and suffering with the purpose of improving the temple which is the body. This year, it's push-ups and a weight target. Went ahead and started early this year).
    There is glory in suffering. I believe in the Ellis Boyd Redding theory of exercise: "It comes down to a simple choice really, get busy living or get busy dying."

Whoa! 13 lbs is a lot! Strong work!