Page 640 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 140540590630638639640641642650690740 ... LastLast
Results 12,781 to 12,800 of 22195
    Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Am just thankful I got into distance learning just before the COVID nightmare began(as in, I finished my training a year ago Christmas)

Quote Originally Posted by sparv View Post
    The info here is definitely better than most of what is out there. I tell my students that I get my COVID news from DBR. They think I'm joking at first, but it is actually relevant to the course I teach. One of the topics I cover is fan communities and the relationships and trust that form among sport fans. I would trust the folks on here 100%, but I would never get info from Inside Carolina.
    Isn't there one of those disclaimers over at IC, you know, "for entertainment purposes only?"

Covid death undercount

Interesting article on how the deaths from Covid-19 are undercounted and in which jurisdictions this tends to happen: https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/25/...nalysis-shows/

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Isn't there one of those disclaimers over at IC, you know, "for entertainment purposes only?"
    I'm pretty sure IC should be put in quarantine. We don't want anyone catching or spreading that Carolina Fever.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I don’t have a clue, never visited the site. Life is too short to waste time with their ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I don’t have a clue, never visited the site. Life is too short to waste time with their ilk.
    I used to just to see the ridiculousness of it all (kind of like visiting Fox 'News') but I stopped. It's toxic. Just about every thread contains or devolves into hate for all things Duke. Plus they attack their own mercilessly (and then if you criticize them at all on any other forum they will defend to the death). Stick to your guns, you'll be happy you did. Now tell me which stock to buy next!!! :-).

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I used to just to see the ridiculousness of it all (kind of like visiting Fox 'News') but I stopped. It's toxic. Just about every thread contains or devolves into hate for all things Duke. Plus they attack their own mercilessly (and then if you criticize them at all on any other forum they will defend to the death). Stick to your guns, you'll be happy you did. Now tell me which stock to buy next!!! :-).
    Internet chat forums (DBR excluded) tell us that there are a lot more people walking around with irrational and deep-seated hate in their hearts about something than what we might otherwise assume based on their public behavior. That's sad and scary. Older I get, the more social distancing seems like a reasonable permanent MO than a temporary measure to blunt the spread.

Interesting comments/thoughts from Nate Silver.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilve...99833045442561

* Cases are probably declining faster than at any point in the pandemic
    *We're now vaccinating more people (1st doses) than there are new infections.
    * However, caseloads are still VERY high (higher than at any point pre-November).

https://covid19-projections.com/

Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Just follow @ICMeltdown -- it's an Irishman in the Triangle who follows IC and culls the prime posts after a loss. A lot better than actually reading IC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    My bad. I should have included some of these () in my comment about "entertainment purposes." Parodying a self-parody like IC is tough.

Long, fascinating article about COVID and myocarditis:

https://www.jacc.org/doi/10.1016/j.jacc.2020.11.031

What really struck me was the low incidence of 4.5% in the autopsy cases, especially since we discussed here many months ago the 78% of COVID cases that were believed to have cardiac involvement (from my memory, either in Lancet or the British Heart Journal):

(in the conclusion section) "...A thorough review of the literature describing both EMB and autopsy sample analysis suggests that myocarditis is an uncommon diagnosis occurring in 4.5% of highly selected cases undergoing autopsy or EMB. Given the referral bias of autopsy studies, it is likely the number of COVID-19 cases complicated by myocarditis is even lower, because the majority of cases do not have evidence of myocardial injury and do not result in death. However, it should also be appreciated that myocardial inflammation involving infiltration by macrophages and T cells can also be seen in noninfectious deaths (control) and COVID-19 cases, but the extent of each is different, and in neither case do such findings represent clinically relevant myocarditis...

(EMB=endomyocardial biopsy)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Interesting comments/thoughts from Nate Silver.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NateSilve...99833045442561

* Cases are probably declining faster than at any point in the pandemic
    *We're now vaccinating more people (1st doses) than there are new infections.
    * However, caseloads are still VERY high (higher than at any point pre-November).

https://covid19-projections.com/

Yep. We are still a ways from being in a good place. But vaccination is rapidly improving and cases are declining. The hope is that as vaccinations keep going (up to 23.5 million doses as of today, with 19.9 million having gotten at least one dose), that incidence curve should continue to drop.

I do hope we get to the 150+ million vaccinated by mid-April that Biden is now suggesting. That would be a huge impact on the case toll and death toll.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yep. We are still a ways from being in a good place. But vaccination is rapidly improving and cases are declining. The hope is that as vaccinations keep going (up to 23.5 million doses as of today, with 19.9 million having gotten at least one dose), that incidence curve should continue to drop.

I do hope we get to the 150+ million vaccinated by mid-April that Biden is now suggesting. That would be a huge impact on the case toll and death toll.
    Getting the approx 50 Million of our population that are aged over 65 will be huge.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Getting the approx 50 Million of our population that are aged over 65 will be huge.
    14 hours after Moderna booster Ol' Sage is doing fine -- although I couldn't summon the energy to shovel snow this afternoon.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    14 hours after Moderna booster Ol' Sage is doing fine -- although I couldn't summon the energy to shovel snow this afternoon.
    I find that shoveling snow goes better in the morning after coffee...must say the new snowguards on my metal roof have, thus far, saved me a lot of huffing and puffing...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I find that shoveling snow goes better in the morning after coffee...must say the new snowguards on my metal roof have, thus far, saved me a lot of huffing and puffing...
    Twenty-four report after Moderna booster shot -- feel absolutely fine. Was a little slow yesterday after my 7:20A injection. Took Tylenol throughout the day, slept normally and woke up feeling great. Really -- a carbon copy of the first shot.

I don't mind shoveling snow -- it's my upper body workout in the winter. One advantage of the pandemic for the snow scene is that I have not been traveling and been able to keep even with the snowfall. It's no fun returning from a trip to find 18-24 inches of snow depth, the bottom layer truly compact.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Twenty-four report after Moderna booster shot -- feel absolutely fine. Was a little slow yesterday after my 7:20A injection. Took Tylenol throughout the day, slept normally and woke up feeling great. Really -- a carbon copy of the first shot.

I don't mind shoveling snow -- it's my upper body workout in the winter. One advantage of the pandemic for the snow scene is that I have not been traveling and been able to keep even with the snowfall. It's no fun returning from a trip to find 18-24 inches of snow depth, the bottom layer truly compact.
    Great news (both that you got the full regimen AND that it hasn't caused you much discomfort).

Now tell me which stock to buy next!!! :-).
    Wrong thread.

For the last few days, I’ve only been selling. It might be awhile until I’m buying again.

I'm fine with shoveling snow, but ever since I got a standing seam metal roof 20 years ago, the snow dynamic has changed...nothing worse than watching a few tons of snow pour off your roof at cocktail hour, because if you don't shovel it right away, it turns into a massive frozen blob...

Allowed Behavior from those Vaccinated

So, question on guidance from the experts. If someone HAS received both doses of the vaccine (and allowed the time to take effect), is it permissible/okay for that person to then go over to a family member's house without a mask? I ask because I have been staying at home throughout the entirety of this (except for dropping my children off at daycare) and have NEVER allowed my mother to come into my house, although I have talked to her outside socially distanced with masks. I was hoping for an upcoming kid's birthday, I could invite her into my home (and just her, nobody else). I recognize we want people to still wear masks/socially distance in public for solidarity and to reduce the spread, etc. but I would also think it's okay to allow her into my home if given the time for full immunity to take effect. Should she still wear a mask? No mask? Should we all wear masks? Curious to hear thoughts and actual medical rationale rather than just habits/what we want people to do in public. Of course, I will continue to wear a mask/socially distance anytime I go outside my home. (My family will not be vaccinated, but again have basically been at home forever except for young children who go to daycare which has strict policies in place and there have been zero cases in the classroom since August. I, of course, interact with my own children without masks).

NY Times take:
    "People who have received both of their vaccine shots, and have waited until they take effect, will be able to do things that unvaccinated people cannot — like having meals together and hugging their grandchildren. But until the pandemic is defeated, all Americans should wear masks in public, help unvaccinated people stay safe and contribute to a shared national project of saving every possible life."