Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    I got my first Moderna dose on late afternoon on Sunday... Jan 24. Pharmacist said that the second dose is Feb 20. She said that the CDC counts the day of the shot as day 1... so the 28th day is Feb 20. I would have thought that the day of the shot is day 0. So 28 days for the second dose would be Feb 21. Any comments?

Also, the first day after the shot... only had pain in the upper arm where the shot was given. Second day... only mild soreness in the arm... just enough to remind me that something happened. No other effects. Based on what has been said, I’m kinda anxious about the second shot.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I got my first Moderna dose on late afternoon on Sunday... Jan 24. Pharmacist said that the second dose is Feb 20. She said that the CDC counts the day of the shot as day 1... so the 28th day is Feb 20. I would have thought that the day of the shot is day 0. So 28 days for the second dose would be Feb 21. Any comments?

Also, the first day after the shot... only had pain in the upper arm where the shot was given. Second day... only mild soreness in the arm... just enough to remind me that something happened. No other effects. Based on what has been said, I’m kinda anxious about the second shot.
    I had my second Moderna shot eight hours ago. Not too bad, so far. I am taking Tylenol.

My second shot was at the same time on the same day of the week four weeks after my first shot -- that's how we count 28 days up here where the air is thin.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 01-26-2021 at 05:47 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I received mine on Saturday, January 23, and am scheduled February 20 for the second. I think the discomfort from the second dose is, as someone said earlier, better than the alternative. I’ve lost a childhood friend and another friend’s sister is on a ventilator.

I wouldn't worry about it. There is a window of effectiveness. So there is a several day window for the second shot.
    ~rthomas

Thanks to all of you. Was slightly concerned since I read stuff about the minimum is 28 days... Longer is OK. But I couldn’t find anything on how to count the days. Nice to know that there is a few days window

I can only speak to my experience. With Pfizer #1 I had a sore arm that caused no problems at all. With Pfizer #2 I had sore arm (exactly same as first shot) and trouble falling asleep that night, but honestly the symptoms were quite mild, for me. I worked full very intense schedule the day after the shot and the day after that, no problem whatsoever.

My wife also got both Pfizer doses with sore arm and that was about it for her. I realize everyone's experience is different. rsvman, as luck would have it, has a badass immune system who let him know it.

Just from my experience these symptoms were a piece of cake for us.

Sadly, I've also been seeing the direct effects of Covid in patients/families I care for. Covid, as all of you know, is not a piece of cake. I cannot convey to you how many kids I'm taking care of who's guardian/caregiver just died of Covid. I'm getting used to having that conversation - with a child, and getting better at it from having it so many times. And that scares me.

Get the vaccine. I know this board knows, but it beats the potential symptoms of the alternative.

As I mentioned in the other thread, after I got my 2nd Pfizer shot, I woke up (about 12-13 hours after shot) with chills and fever that lasted about 12-13 hours. Took ibuprofen, drank a lot of hot tea, worked from home, crashed with a final nap, and was fine. I have several co-workers who had the same response I did after the 2nd shot, and with only a sore arm the 1st shot.

Just a word of caution:

My wife received her second Pfizer shot 5 days ago. This morning at work, she passed out. Fortunately, she was caught by a coworker before she hit the floor. She works at an outpatient surgery center and was immediately tended to. She is fine now and continuing to work (against everyone’s better judgment). This might have been a combination of the after effects of the shot, and a new diet that she has been on for about 3 weeks. Up until today, she had only minor side effects.

The scariest part is that this could have happened while she was driving, or alone where no one was around to break her fall.

Y’all be careful.

So damn pissed... scheduled at the big NJ mega center in February. Now apparently they are closing it down, bc they don't have the doses, and even if I get it they won't schedule a second dose. Sooo... I get the first one, and then... whatever?

Really pissed at how terrible this vaccine rollout has been. A true mess... and they had what, ten months to prepare?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    So damn pissed... scheduled at the big NJ mega center in February. Now apparently they are closing it down, bc they don't have the doses, and even if I get it they won't schedule a second dose. Sooo... I get the first one, and then... whatever?

Really pissed at how terrible this vaccine rollout has been. A true mess... and they had what, ten months to prepare?
    In all fairness, they have only really had 7 days to prepare and they are playing catchup

My county in Georgia had a poor system to start. You had to go online to sign up for the first dose, on a website that was difficult to log onto, with no advanced notice of when doses would be available. So for days, you had to frequently keep trying to login, hoping that you got through when doses were available. Once they got doses, you had only a few minutes before all time slots were full. There was no priority given to exceptionally critical candidates. Merely first come, first served. So if you were a 70 year old, overweight, frontline worker with existing medical conditions, you had no better chance of getting through than a healthy 65 year old. Then if you got the first dose, you had to repeat the login crapshoot to try to get the second dose in a timely manner.

They have now improved the second dose schedule so that it is automatically booked once you get the first dose. Hopefully this will also be the case for you in NJ, and in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    My county in Georgia had a poor system to start. You had to go online to sign up for the first dose, on a website that was difficult to log onto, with no advanced notice of when doses would be available. So for days, you had to frequently keep trying to login, hoping that you got through when doses were available. Once they got doses, you had only a few minutes before all time slots were full. There was no priority given to exceptionally critical candidates. Merely first come, first served. So if you were a 70 year old, overweight, frontline worker with existing medical conditions, you had no better chance of getting through than a healthy 65 year old. Then if you got the first dose, you had to repeat the login crapshoot to try to get the second dose in a timely manner.

They have now improved the second dose schedule so that it is automatically booked once you get the first dose. Hopefully this will also be the case for you in NJ, and in other areas.
    Wow...very different down here in coastal GA. They announced the reservation process a week ahead of time. I called as soon as they opened and scheduled my appointment for the next week (it did take me 30 minutes to get through, but those who waited until the afternoon got right through). The health department was extremely well organized...no waiting, socially distanced, etc., and we were given our second appointment before we left.

I think that one of the biggest issues with the process you describe is that people initially had to go through the entire process to schedule their second dose. That could lead a lot of people to give up or not get the second dose in a timely fashion, and therefore not accomplish what this widespread vaccination program is supposed to accomplish!

Also, all local governments and health department have known this was coming and should have been better prepared than some were. Maybe they didn’t know exactly when the vaccines would arrive, but if anything they were expecting them to arrive sooner than they did. To say that they have only had 7 days (as was mentioned upthread) is a little disingenuous. While I hope/expect that the new administration will continue to push the manufacturers to make more vaccines and the providers to vaccinate as many as possible, the number of vaccines that are available now is due to steps taken by the drug companies—and operation warpspeed—over many months...not just the last 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    My county in Georgia had a poor system to start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Wow...very different down here in coastal GA.
    That's the problem with us having 159 different kingdoms -- er, counties.

I was able to schedule an appointment through Cone Health here in Greensboro for Feb. 9. Then last Satuday I got a robocall (it went to voicemail) that my appointment was cancelled due to not getting enough vaccine, and I'm on a waiting list with priority. Don't know if that means they will reschedule me or if I have to reschedule the appointment myself. Meanwhile, I'm trying all the surrounding counties to get scheduled there. I am on the Durham County waiting list.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I was able to schedule an appointment through Cone Health here in Greensboro for Feb. 9. Then last Satuday I got a robocall (it went to voicemail) that my appointment was cancelled due to not getting enough vaccine, and I'm on a waiting list with priority. Don't know if that means they will reschedule me or if I have to reschedule the appointment myself. Meanwhile, I'm trying all the surrounding counties to get scheduled there. I am on the Durham County waiting list.
    I'm sorry your appointment was cancelled.
    I live in Alamance County (which is limited to persons 75 and over) and received the Pfizer vaccine in Forsyth on 1/24.
    I recommend that you follow their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FCDPH to learn when appointments slots will become available.

They announce on Facebook (sometimes on short notice), when they will make appointments available (day and time) and how many appointments there will be. Last week, on Wednesday morning, they announced that 1700 appointments time slots would be loaded into the reservation system at 5 pm.
    A few days later they announced that 4000 reservations would become available and would be loaded into the reservation system the next morning at 9am.

When you get into the reservation system you are competing against everyone else for time slots. The strategy that seems to work is to go after slots that are less popular so that you'll have less competition. Otherwise, by the time you answer all of the screening questions, the time slot you wanted will probably be gone. Also, you need to type as fast as possible :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That's the problem with us having 159 different kingdoms -- er, counties.
    Haha! So true. And we likely benefit from being a less dense (population-wise) area. Although we do have a lot of us old folks!

Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    I'm sorry your appointment was cancelled.
    I live in Alamance County (which is limited to persons 75 and over) and received the Pfizer vaccine in Forsyth on 1/24.
    I recommend that you follow their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/FCDPH to learn when appointments slots will become available.

They announce on Facebook (sometimes on short notice), when they will make appointments available (day and time) and how many appointments there will be. Last week, on Wednesday morning, they announced that 1700 appointments time slots would be loaded into the reservation system at 5 pm.
    A few days later they announced that 4000 reservations would become available and would be loaded into the reservation system the next morning at 9am.

When you get into the reservation system you are competing against everyone else for time slots. The strategy that seems to work is to go after slots that are less popular so that you'll have less competition. Otherwise, by the time you answer all of the screening questions, the time slot you wanted will probably be gone. Also, you need to type as fast as possible :-)
    That typing class your mother made you take when you were in high school pays off in a big way now!

Now it seems we will soon be booking our variant vaccine appointment after the second dose.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    That typing class your mother made you take when you were in high school pays off in a big way now!
    Mom paid me $100 to teach myself to type so she wouldn't have to drive me to the class...I thought I was the richest guy in the state. (Knowing how to type fast and well proved to be an invaluable college skill back in the Dark Ages).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Mom paid me $100 to teach myself to type so she wouldn't have to drive me to the class...I thought I was the richest guy in the state. (Knowing how to type fast and well proved to be an invaluable college skill back in the Dark Ages).
    I took typing and Gregg notehand (a form of short hand) in 10th grade in Great Neck, NY; both were a half-semester class and were given as a pair. Then when we moved to Ft. Lauderdale I had to pass both typing and swimming to graduate. Peace of cake! And typing did serve me well at Duke on my Smith Corona electric type writer (it's still in the garage). Never did get the hang of notehand.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com