Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Montana, for one, is as good or better than any of the quarterbacks currently playing the game, imo.
    Oof. Tough call. Hard to balance the freedomthat QBs have today in regards to rules with the amazing athleticism that so many players in both sides of the ball have today. Much like Jordan/LeBron/Wilt. Comparing across eras is sort of like apples to kiwis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Oof. Tough call. Hard to balance the freedomthat QBs have today in regards to rules with the amazing athleticism that so many players in both sides of the ball have today. Much like Jordan/LeBron/Wilt. Comparing across eras is sort of like apples to kiwis.
    Let’s leave New Zealand out of this!

I agree. It’s hard to compare across eras. The game is played differently. What I think we can all appreciate, whether you love a QB or hate him, leadership is probably one of the common threads among guys at the level we’re discussing. Tampa has never had an on-field leader like Brady. Never. Not even close. Even guys like Brooks, Lynch, Barber or Sapp didn’t rise nearly to the level of Brady. The difference is clear, at least it is to me. This is a dangerous team not to be underestimated. The Bucs of the second half of the season are much better than the Bucs of the first half. I hope Brady has it in him for two more games.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Montana, for one, is as good or better than any of the quarterbacks currently playing the game, imo.
    These sorts of questions are perfect sports board fodder.

The test, if we could devise one, would be to have these old guys get cloned somehow and then put them through the modern systems with all the health, weight training, analytics systems and science available to the new guys. I'm sure some of them would continue to be great --- but, the idea that most the old guys could compete at the EXACT same levels of greatness in the modern game is just not defensible, IMO.

It also stands to reason that the longer a sport is around the more likely we are to see additional outliers like Lebron. I'm comfortable with saying the new guys are standing on the shoulders of giants but they're still a darn bit taller!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Let’s leave New Zealand out of this!

I agree. It’s hard to compare across eras. The game is played differently. What I think we can all appreciate, whether you love a QB or hate him, leadership is probably one of the common threads among guys at the level we’re discussing. Tampa has never had an on-field leader like Brady. Never. Not even close. Even guys like Brooks, Lynch, Barber or Sapp didn’t rise nearly to the level of Brady. The difference is clear, at least it is to me. This is a dangerous team not to be underestimated. The Bucs of the second half of the season are much better than the Bucs of the first half. I hope Brady has it in him for two more games.
    How would Steve Young have performed with rules that protect him from concussions?

Measuring greatness of team sport players must take into account the extent to which each player contributed to his/her team's winning. In football, this is particularly true for quarterbacks. The greatest players win championships in every era. On this basis, it's clear that Brady is the GOAT in football.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    These sorts of questions are perfect sports board fodder.

The test, if we could devise one, would be to have these old guys get cloned somehow and then put them through the modern systems with all the health, weight training, analytics systems and science available to the new guys. I'm sure some of them would continue to be great --- but, the idea that most the old guys could compete at the EXACT same levels of greatness in the modern game is just not defensible, IMO.

It also stands to reason that the longer a sport is around the more likely we are to see additional outliers like Lebron. I'm comfortable with saying the new guys are standing on the shoulders of giants but they're still a darn bit taller!
    Butch: No, no, not yet, not until me and Harvey get the rules straightened out.

Harvey: Rules? In a knife fight? No rules!

Quarterback is an above-the neck position. Either you have the on-board computer or you don't.

The big difference between eras is the nature of the mental demands. When Starr, Staubach, etc. were playing, they called their own plays. Every thirty seconds they were evaluating score, time, down and distance, game plan, what's been working, what could work, personnel, etc. and then determining the best play, formation, blocking scheme, etc. That is mentally draining. The smartest one I ever saw was Griese. The QBs these days have the plays sent in so they don't have that mental burden.

What they do have to handle are defenses that are much more complex, aggressive, and varied, with constantly changing personnel as well. Lots of quick decisions both at the line of scrimmage and then mid-play, reading their keys, going through progressions, and then of course delivering the ball accurately.

Brady was and is great, and indeed maybe the GOAT. But I don't think it's fair to say that because a guy didn't win championships, he can't be considered in the conversation. Football is a team sport, and if you don't have a good offensive line, or running game, or receivers, or the team always has a bad defense, then even with a fantastic QB, you're not going to win. Doesn't diminish the greatness of the QB as it's not his fault if the rest of the team is not up to snuff.

How would Steve Young have performed with rules that protect him from concussions?
    From a Tampa Bay standpoint, all we can do is look back at his ONE year in TB and wonder what could have been.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I’m going with Green Bay to win the NFC. Davante Adams is a great receiver and will be a difference maker.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I’m going with Green Bay to win the NFC. Davante Adams is a great receiver and will be a difference maker.
    Going out on a limb huh? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I really hope so (pulling hard for Green Bay this year, Buffalo would be a tolerable secondary option). Hard for me to go with Adams over Rodgers as the difference maker though. Both critical to Green Bay's success for sure (I think Aaron Jones has gone somewhat overlooked but his ability to provide a consistent threat on the ground has been really important too...Green Bay hasn't always had that).

Brady was sensational on that drive.

Not a great start for the Packers, they need to get a stop here to keep things from starting to get out of control.

What a throw and catch by Rodgers and his receiver!

Amazing catch by Godwin but that ball was a duck

Wow, just wow, Leonard Fournette!!

Tampa Bay definitely got away with defensive holding on that interception.
    Bob Green

How’d Brady look on that TD throw to Miller?? 😊

Amazing end to the half. Wow. Quite the cojones on that drive.

How does that happen though