Page 1276 of 1306 FirstFirst ... 276776117612261266127412751276127712781286 ... LastLast
Results 25,501 to 25,520 of 26103
    Quote Originally Posted by jtelander View Post
    I wonder if there are security cameras that recorded these "reconnaissance tours" and if would-be rioters can be identified from those recordings.

Yes, it is already happening.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Now that the President has been impeached by the House, I want to add one analysis I read (sorry can't find the ink right now) that crystalized to me the point of Impeachment.

This is a political process and will need 17 senators to vote for it and then only a majority of senators (a given in a 50/50 Senate) to vote to take away Trump's pension, privileges as an Ex-president and the ability to run for office in the future. That of course has been pointed out already.

The key analysis is what happens between now and Jan 20. Trump has less leverage on Republican senators. If Trump wants to pressure a senator with the perceived political power of his base or wants to have a rally where he steps over the line and appears to incite violence...adios to the best retirement package in the world. This is a protection that now exists for the next 7 days (and to the end of the trial) that was just created by Impeachment. In fact, this makes me think the Senate should take as much time as possible to hold the trial. Take care of the new Cabinet, Covid, stimulus checks, vaccines and take half days to hold the trial.
    I had the exact same thought earlier. The impending Senate trial will be a big disincentive for him acting out too much over the next 7 days. Unless he's ok with a Senate conviction, which I don't think he is. He's got to be worried about his brand as well as future criminal trials - being impeached and convicted won't be helpful for either.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yes, it is already happening.
    It is so hard for me to imagine that this happened with the specific foreknowledge that the mob was going to try to take Capitol Hill, kill police officers and, if they had succeeded, the Vice President and Speaker of the House. But if it did, wow, those are some Civil War era machinations.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    It is so hard for me to imagine that this happened with the specific foreknowledge that the mob was going to try to take Capitol Hill, kill police officers and, if they had succeeded, the Vice President and Speaker of the House. But if it did, wow, those are some Civil War era machinations.
    The "inciter-in-chief" retired to his quarters to watch on TV. Must have known something might happen.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Greybeard, is that you??
    No but unfortunately i could qualify as a substituteif i dont shave or converse .

Here's an example of illegal voting. Is this what the GOP think happened 11,000 times in Georgia?

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...lated-charges/

Well, not to end the fun about voter ID laws, but one thing I find interesting about the impeachment is that from a legal perspective, one could easily argue that soliciting interference in a US election to undermine your opponent from a foreign entity is a far more "direct crime" than his rhetoric which certainly encouraged an insurrection but I would think would be more of an "indirect" act that perhaps doesn't as clearly run afoul of laws. The major difference this time though - the people that vote on it are part of Congress and THEY were the ones in danger. So, this time it's PERSONAL.

Similarly, one could argue his direct phone call to an election official in Georgia to "find votes" abd undermine democracy seems like a more clear violation of law than his Twitter rants. But I could be wrong. (I acknowledge that his phone call to change votes was noted in today's impeachment but wasn't the focus). Of course, loss of life is a bigger event undoubtedly and thus the impact may be larger even if Trump's direct linkage isn't as clear. (Note that I'm not trying to argue that he didn't incite the masses, simply that he wasn't the one who was part of the mob. Conversely, he WAS the person talking to the Ukrainian president and Georgia officials and thus his involvement is more direct).

But I could be wrong...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I had the exact same thought earlier. The impending Senate trial will be a big disincentive for him acting out too much over the next 7 days. Unless he's ok with a Senate conviction, which I don't think he is. He's got to be worried about his brand as well as future criminal trials - being impeached and convicted won't be helpful for either.
    Thankfully, his channels to act out in have been greatly diminished. For whatever reason, when given a legit outlet like a press conference, he is always way more subdued.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Well, not to end the fun about voter ID laws, but one thing I find interesting about the impeachment is that from a legal perspective, one could easily argue that soliciting interference in a US election to undermine your opponent from a foreign entity is a far more "direct crime" than his rhetoric which certainly encouraged an insurrection but I would think would be more of an "indirect" act that perhaps doesn't as clearly run afoul of laws. The major difference this time though - the people that vote on it are part of Congress and THEY were the ones in danger. So, this time it's PERSONAL.

Similarly, one could argue his direct phone call to an election official in Georgia to "find votes" abd undermine democracy seems like a more clear violation of law than his Twitter rants. But I could be wrong. (I acknowledge that his phone call to change votes was noted in today's impeachment but wasn't the focus). Of course, loss of life is a bigger event undoubtedly and thus the impact may be larger even if Trump's direct linkage isn't as clear. (Note that I'm not trying to argue that he didn't incite the masses, simply that he wasn't the one who was part of the mob. Conversely, he WAS the person talking to the Ukrainian president and Georgia officials and thus his involvement is more direct).

But I could be wrong...
    Wasn't the Georgia call was in the impeachment bill?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Thankfully, his channels to act out in have been greatly diminished. For whatever reason, when given a legit outlet like a press conference, he is always way more subdued.
    Imagine what the world would have been like if the media had not covered Trump’s tweets for the past 5 years? And treated them as musings to be ignored vs official POTUS proclamations? I would bet the national temperate would be a lot lower but could be wrong.

From the Inevitable File — Trump to stiff Rudy on his fees:

https://twitter.com/mrwaltershapiro/...971528705?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Wasn't the Georgia call was in the impeachment bill?
    Yes I did acknowledge that but didn't seem to be the focus with the representative speeches of the ones I watched at least.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

How much is a pardon worth? Equivalent I'd guess.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

If Rudy was dumb enough to do work for Trump without some kind of a retainer, then, well, bless his heart.

The question is whether Rudy squeals. I'm not sure how well his brain is working these days, but he theoretically knows a lot.

I believe Giuliani misspoke. Instead of "trial by combat", he meant to say "I will dance in my monkey suit but get no bananas".

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...charges-filed/

Not exactly the most impartial of sources, but it does raise an interesting point. Thoughts on Trump potentially fleeing the country post-inauguration?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Imagine what the world would have been like if the media had not covered Trump’s tweets for the past 5 years? And treated them as musings to be ignored vs official POTUS proclamations? I would bet the national temperate would be a lot lower but could be wrong.
    Bu then we would not have known who he fired and who was in the administration.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlueDevil View Post
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...charges-filed/

Not exactly the most impartial of sources, but it does raise an interesting point. Thoughts on Trump potentially fleeing the country post-inauguration?
    That would work just fine...he could not run for office and he would not get all of the privileges of an ex-President.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I think that they tried, briefly. But Trump quickly blurred the lines between what was simply his musings and what was official, so everything he posted had to be paid attention to, unfortunately. He used it as a matter of convenience and to his benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Bu then we would not have known who he fired and who was in the administration.
    Great people.