Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Ecstasy and Agony

Enjoying the Championship Game. Respect both teams and mostly want a great game. That said, my dear wife is from Bama, so it's of course Roll Tide!

I'm experiencing the ecstasy of great play calling and execution. Sarkisian's offense is a work of art. Every play seems to be well-called and contains a few to numerous gorgeous wrinkles that befuddle the defense. And I know that I see only a fraction of what is taking place. Just beautiful to watch. OSU's offensive play-calling might not be quite as elegant but it is, IMO, smart and imaginative.

In an SBNation article, Sarkisian stated “We’re an RPO team that runs the football. If you’re gonna let us run the ball, then we will continue to run the ball. The moment you say we’re gonna take away the run, our system is built to throw RPOs." So many options for almost every play.

Which of course as a Duke fan generates agony. Not that there are many O geniuses like Sarkisian out there, but somebody who would be closer to his level than what we have now? Keep hope alive.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

So, Bama is just a lot better than the rest of the college universe.

Any good movies on tonight?

Ohio State throwing in the towel. Very Cutcliffesque play calling at the end of a half down big.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Trey Sermon would of helped a lot for OSU. Still probably a L though because that Bama offense can’t be stopped.

Ecstasy and Agony

Enjoying the Championship Game. Respect both teams and mostly want a great game. That said, my dear wife is from Bama, so it's of course Roll Tide!

I'm experiencing the ecstasy of great play calling and execution. Sarkisian's offense is a work of art. Every play seems to be well-conceived for the situation and contains a few to numerous gorgeous wrinkles that befuddle the defense. And I know that I see only a fraction of what is taking place. Just beautiful to watch. OSU's offensive play-calling might not be quite as elegant but it is, IMO, usually smart and somewhat imaginative. A couple of calls seem too familiar, if you get my drift.

In an SBNation article, Sarkisian stated “We’re an RPO team that runs the football. If you’re gonna let us run the ball, then we will continue to run the ball. The moment you say we’re gonna take away the run, our system is built to throw RPOs." So many options in almost every play.

Watching this excellence generates agony for this Duke fan. Not that there are many O geniuses like Sarkisian out there, but somebody who would be closer to his level than what we have now? Let' keep hope alive.

Slightly off-topic but irresistible to me: How ridiculously talented is DaVonta Smith?! His 1st half stats are incredible. And Najee Harris as well?! And...this is a really talented and well-coached team! [just in from Captain Obvious]
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes! Roll Tide Roll!!!

Roll Tide!

Glad for DaughterPK to get a Natty while she is a student. And, say what you want about the man, Saban runs a clean program as best I can tell and seems to do it the right way.

The Team, Leadership and Culture

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Roll Tide!

Glad for DaughterPK to get a Natty while she is a student. And, say what you want about the man, Saban runs a clean program as best I can tell and seems to do it the right way.
    Yes, just love Saban's devotion to his players and his emphasis on how his team became not just a collection of great football players but a committed, unified team. Several of his players could have gone pro successfully, but chose to come back to play, to lead and to win.

Supreme technical competence gets individuals and teams to top rungs. The ultimate differentiator for winning is often the kind of positive leadership that catalyzes supreme motivation and teamwork so that distractions are set aside, individual goals are subordinate, and all eyes remain on the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Roll Tide!

I’m happy for her too! Since 2006 every incoming class has had a chance to experience at least one NC as a student. I got back-to-backs way back in the day (Coach Bryant’s last 2), but didn’t get to experience one in my 3 years at Duke. My boys did though; they were both there in 2015!

College Football Playoffs -- no competitive contests: 17 points, 21 points and 28 points.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    College Football Playoffs -- no competitive contests: 17 points, 21 points and 28 points.
    Which is why I don’t think expanding to 8 teams gets us anywhere.

I am fine the way it is. It’s better than using polls to decide and I’m fine arguing who should be left out at 5. Injury risks are also huge as shown last night, so adding an extra game is not a harmless luxury.