RIP Gerry Marsden

The namesake of Gerry and the Pacemakers, an early British Invasion group with a string of great 45s in the middle 1960s. Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying indeed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55524795

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The namesake of Gerry and the Pacemakers, an early British Invasion group with a string of great 45s in the middle 1960s. Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying indeed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55524795
    He will Never Walk Alone.

He has ferried cross the Mersey, but it's gonna be alright.

I always found it interesting that Liverpool F.C., despite being the home of the Beatles, chose and stuck with fellow Liverpoodian Gerry's song to be its anthem.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I always found it interesting that Liverpool F.C., despite being the home of the Beatles, chose and stuck with fellow Liverpoodian Gerry's song to be its anthem.
    Gerry and the Pacemakers first hit was one the Beatles recorded but rejected, How Do You Do It? The Beatles released Love Me Do instead. George Martin gave it to the Pacemakers another group he was recording. The Beatles' version is on Anthology 1 and is even better than Gerry and the Pacemakers' version.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The anthem is the familiar "You'll Never Walk Alone" recorded by Gerry and the Pacemakers but written for the musical Carousel in 1945 by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The anthem is the familiar "You'll Never Walk Alone" recorded by Gerry and the Pacemakers but written for the musical Carousel in 1945 by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
    Good addition/correction.