Page 50 of 161 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 3204
    I could have happily lived my life never knowing of Nate Sudfeld's existence.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I truly think that Suds, whoever he is, was an "F U" to the Giants from the Philly coach.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I truly think that Suds, whoever he is, was an "F U" to the Giants from the Philly coach.
    As a Giants fan, most of me is really annoyed that the Eagles easily could have won this game but decided to get cutesy about it (not sure why they have greater loyalty to Washington over the Giants - who doesn't want to stick it to Snyder?). Part of me is happy as I think that we likely would get killed in the playoffs and by not being in the playoffs, our pick is about 7-8 spots higher, which is significant.

Philly still in this!

Al Michaels' line with a few seconds left and the Eagles needing about 75 yards to get a TD and Sudfeld at QB was classic - if the Eagles win, he would brush off a line he hadn't used in 41 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    As a Giants fan, most of me is really annoyed that the Eagles easily could have won this game but decided to get cutesy about it (not sure why they have greater loyalty to Washington over the Giants - who doesn't want to stick it to Snyder?). Part of me is happy as I think that we likely would get killed in the playoffs and by not being in the playoffs, our pick is about 7-8 spots higher, which is significant.
    The subbing of Sudfeld in the 4th quarter is the worst display of bad sportsmanship in the history of the NFL. It's like they were trying to lose and give the division title to the Washington Football team. I want to hear what the league office has to say. Roger Goodell must be fuming -- I wonder if he has any way to penalize Philadelphia.

My question, channeling the NY Post is, "How much did Dan Snyder have to give Jeffrey Lurie so the Eagles would throw the game?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I think it sucks too - but one obvious answer, by losing the Eagles get better draft picks - they tanked in the 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The subbing of Sudfeld in the 4th quarter is the worst display of bad sportsmanship in the history of the NFL. It's like they were trying to lose and give the division title to the Washington Football team. I want to hear what the league office has to say. Roger Goodell must be fuming -- I wonder if he has any way to penalize Philadelphia.

My question, channeling the NY Post is, "How much did Dan Snyder have to give Jeffrey Lurie so the Eagles would throw the game?"
    Isn’t it quite possible that the Eagles main motivation for not trying their best to win the game was the desire to improve their draft position? It might not have had anything to do with them preferring that Washington win the division instead of the Giants.

By losing the Eagles get the 6th pick. If they would have won, they would have gotten the 9th pick.

Maybe it’s all the Ted Lasso I’ve been watching, but suddenly football sounds like soccer.

I believe Sudfield was the quaterback for Indiana in the Pinstripe Bowl when Duke ended their 50 plus year streak without a bowl win .

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    I think it sucks too - but one obvious answer, by losing the Eagles get better draft picks - they tanked in the 4th quarter.
    I'm sure the Eagles players appreciate they have a better chance of being replaced by the more highly rated newcomers.

Larry
    DevilHorse

WFT won and the Eagles royally screwed it up but...

...let's face it. None of these NFC East teams deserved to go to the playoffs; WFT is going because of a technicality.

It would be nice if Jones and the Giants went, and it would certainly be a permanent feature on his wikipedia page, but we all know this division is historically bad.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...let's face it. None of these NFC East teams deserved to go to the playoffs; WFT is going because of a technicality.

It would be nice if Jones and the Giants went, and it would certainly be a permanent feature on his wikipedia page, but we all know this division is historically bad.
    To me, the issue isn't so much the division winner making the playoffs despite the losing record. It's the idea that a Bucs team with four more wins has to play at Washington.

Granted, home field isn't that big a deal this year, but most years it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To me, the issue isn't so much the division winner making the playoffs despite the losing record. It's the idea that a Bucs team with four more wins has to play at Washington.

Granted, home field isn't that big a deal this year, but most years it is.
    yeah i wouldn't mind a winning record rule.

That said, comparing records across divisions is always a bit tenuous as the schedules are vastly different, so i have no problem (in general) with a WC team playing at a division winner with a worse record...but in this case, it does end up being a bit absurd. Winning record seems to be a good place to draw the line.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Daniel Jones throws an interception. An accurate pass goes through Engram’s hands bounces off his helmet straight to the DB. Just bad luck...
    Bad tight end.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    yeah i wouldn't mind a winning record rule.

That said, comparing records across divisions is always a bit tenuous as the schedules are vastly different, so i have no problem (in general) with a WC team playing at a division winner with a worse record...but in this case, it does end up being a bit absurd. Winning record seems to be a good place to draw the line.
    If you're a team with an excellent record, why shouldn't you be able to easily beat a playoff team with a losing record?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

After watching many NFL games this season, it's apparent(to me anyway) that mobile QBs are necessary in todays game. The WFT thought they had one in Haskins but oh how wrong they were. The Bucs will probably win by at least 10-16 points when the two teams meet. I love Alex Smith but he's going to have to run for his life against a good Buc defense, That's going to be hard for Alex as he's no longer a mobile QB. That terrible injury took away the mobility he did have. As for WFT winning the bad NFC East, I'll take it. I told my wife on the way to church, I'm in win-win situation because I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Jones in a playoff game even it it means Washington loses.

If you're a team with an excellent record, why shouldn't you be able to easily beat a playoff team with a losing record?
    My Seahawks were a recentish example of a losing record division winner at 7-9. Hosted the heavily favored Saints.

Then this happened...

https://youtu.be/w2hOgbq2myA

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    After watching many NFL games this season, it's apparent(to me anyway) that mobile QBs are necessary in todays game. The WFT thought they had one in Haskins but oh how wrong they were. The Bucs will probably win by at least 10-16 points when the two teams meet. I love Alex Smith but he's going to have to run for his life against a good Buc defense, That's going to be hard for Alex as he's no longer a mobile QB. That terrible injury took away the mobility he did have. As for WFT winning the bad NFC East, I'll take it. I told my wife on the way to church, I'm in win-win situation because I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Jones in a playoff game even it it means Washington loses.
    Haskins could have/should have run for first downs on several occasions in the last game he played, but he chose to throw the ball (unsuccessfully) each and every time. I agree with you that Smith has virtually no mobility, and fares very poorly when flushed out of the pocket. If I were planning a defense against the WFT, it would start and end with flushing Smith. If Tampa Bay can do that successfully, the WFT will be in big trouble, because they have no offense if Smith is flushed.

On the flip side of the coin, though, Tom Brady is also not the most mobile quarterback in the NFL, and is exactly the kind of quarterback against which the WFT has been successful. If the Maroon 4 can get to him/put pressure on him all night long, I think the WFT has at least a puncher's chance of pulling off the upset. The WFT fares very poorly against teams with mobile/running quarterbacks (think Arizona, Seattle, NYGs, Philadelphia when Hurts was taking snaps) but does much better against teams with pocket quarterbacks (Pittsburgh, the Eagles with Wentz, the Lions [a game the WFT should've won], Dallas, etc).

Honestly, if I were Tampa Bay, the LAST team from the weak NFC East that I would want to see come out of the division is the WFT. I think the WFT has the best chance (out of any of the NFC East teams, admittedly a very weak division) to pull off the upset. Let's see how Tom Brady fares against Montez Sweat, Chase Young, et al.

(Afterthought: the WFT might have a better chance to win if they played Heinecke, who is much more mobile, then if they play Smith, although they will obviously play Smith. If TB is getting consistent pressure and flushing Smith all night long, Coach better think about substituting in Heinecke, who is quite mobile and can get some first downs on his feet when a play is broken.)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust