Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    https://es.pn/2KxIRP1

Unfortunately feels all too familiar
    Now it's officially a Duke basketball season.

Is there anyway that Duke basketball could maybe, sorta’, ya know, not give any freshmen phenoms the #1 for a few years? Just sayin’.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Is there anyway that Duke basketball could maybe, sorta’, ya know, not give any freshmen phenoms the #1 for a few years? Just sayin’.
    I’m ready to call it. #1 is cursed.

When I first saw it on Bleacher Report, it said he was out for the season. Then it got changed to indefinitely. I’m hoping the first report isn’t right!!

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Time for Tape to be that glue guy.

This news makes me wanna go get a drink. Think I’ll start with a Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Surprised I haven't already seen a vigil thread.
    Could we start a vigil thread vigil?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    When I first saw it on Bleacher Report, it said he was out for the season. Then it got changed to indefinitely. I’m hoping the first report isn’t right!!
    This year, he could be back in a month and still be out for the season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Big chances ahead for Wendell, Joey and Jaemyn. I'm serious.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Something really needs to be changed in our training regiment. It can't be coincidence that every year we get at least one major foot injury.

The guys have barely played too!

2020...what a horrible year it has been.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    No reason to put a timetable on it now, we know he’s not playing tomorrow and then the whole team will be taking an extended break. This stinks to have a setback especially during a season in which nothing is guaranteed, every game and every practice matters even more so than usual. In the short term I guess this solves the dilemma of how to play Johnson and Hurt together while still getting a big onto the floor. Other guys will need to step up, and by other guys I mean Wendell Moore.
    I would not count on Moore. He is so wound up every game this year. He is a head case.Brakefield Coleman Tape and Williams would be better able to perform.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I’m ready to call it. #1 is cursed.
    It may be.its like routine .if you break routine it can throw you off.i wont change routine durring my sons football season .he doesnt either peanut butter jelly sandwich 3 pm monday to thursday thursday night fried chicken friday pregame has to be chicken or spaghetti ..its bad luck.that may be the case with that jersey number .

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Big chances ahead for Wendell, Joey and Jaemyn. I'm serious.
    For everyone, really, not just those three. Jalen's been our highest usage player, and those opportunities have to flow elsewhere now. Can Jeremy build off his 7 assist, 0 turnover performance against Illinois to take more charge off the offense with Jalen gone? Matt and Jaemyn have been efficient performers so far -- are there ways to involve them in the offense even more without significantly reducing their efficiency? (More pertinent to Matt, as Jaemyn can hopefully just continue to do what he does but in larger minutes with Jalen out, not necessarily in higher usage).

Depending on what we do with Jalen's missing usage, there can be unanticipated downstream effects. If involving Jeremy more means running more PnR for him (which Nate James suggested he was really good at), then maybe Patrick Tape all of a sudden gets minutes because Columbia ran a lot of PnR.

Because Jalen's been inefficient (93 offensive rating) while being high-usage, there's some Ewing Theory potential here. In the long-term, Jalen's injury probably lowers our ceiling (if he's out for a long time), but in the short-term, if his opportunities flow towards efficient options, Duke could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlue666s View Post
    I don't see anything that says out for year - now he may be out a long time.. I just don't really see any articles that say that.

What I did see on this site is that it was not due to singular incident - not sure if I like that or not.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...247862975.html

"preseason all-ACC selection, has a foot injury, the school announced. No further details were made available about the injury or when it began to bother the 6-9, 220-pound forward, only that it didn’t stem from a single incident."

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I don't see anything that says out for year - now he may be out a long time.. I just don't really see any articles that say that.

What I did see on this site is that it was not due to singular incident - not sure if I like that or not.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...247862975.html

"preseason all-ACC selection, has a foot injury, the school announced. No further details were made available about the injury or when it began to bother the 6-9, 220-pound forward, only that it didn’t stem from a single incident."
    Duke injury jargon is studiedly vague. "Indefinite" can mean loss of one game or loss of the season. Putting on my Pollyanna psyche, while examining the schedule -- I can go with, "His foot has a lingering injury that requires rest. He can skip the Notre Dame game and resume with the regular schedule on December 29. He will have two weeks off before the Boston College game on December 29."

On the other hand, Zion was out for three weeks, which seemed like three months. We waited for Kyrie for three months, which seemed like three years..
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehk View Post
    Something really needs to be changed in our training regiment. It can't be coincidence that every year we get at least one major foot injury.

The guys have barely played too!

2020...what a horrible year it has been.
    It can't both be something that happens every year and also something that stands out as making 2020 particularly horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    It can't both be something that happens every year and also something that stands out as making 2020 particularly horrible.
    But it feels like it can. The toe I stubbed today hurts a lot more than the one I stubbed last year.

Duke injury jargon is studiedly vague. "Indefinite" can mean loss of one game or loss of the season. Putting on my Pollyanna psyche, while examining the schedule -- I can go with, "His foot has a lingering injury that requires rest. He can skip the Notre Dame game and resume with the regular schedule on December 29. He will have two weeks off before the Boston College game on December 29."

On the other hand, Zion was out for three weeks, which seemed like three months. We waited for Kyrie for three months, which seemed like three years..
    just noting this is the first article where they said "it didn't stem from one incidient". Hope its just something where he can heal and be back early January

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    just noting this is the first article where they said "it didn't stem from one incidient". Hope its just something where he can heal and be back early January
    Or it is a stress fracture that may take a very long time. I am assuming we will not see him until the end of January. The good news is that the players who are likely not to go pro will get more experience for next year. This year will all be about development. Making the tourney should be the goal.

He needs to totally stay off of it (I am not a doctor). I know he wants to support the team, but he should not be traveling to Indiana tonight to sit on the bench and cheer. He should be staying in Durham (or with his family), off his feet and doing treatments. Historically our players with these types of injuries have traveled with the team, and I have never understood it. I know that they have casts/boots/crutches/etc., but just stay off it as much as possible. And he should have been doing so in the time leading up to him being declared unable to play. It is just common sense.

Kyrie's turf toe WAS a 3 1/2 year injury, as far as his Duke career was concerned.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com