Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Unofficial 2020-2021 Announcer Thread

I’m watching the MSU-EMU game and the color announcer (maybe Robbie Hummel) just said that Marcus Bingham of MSU needs a junior “outbreak” year. Ooofff.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I’m watching the MSU-EMU game and the color announcer (maybe Robbie Hummel) just said that Marcus Bingham of MSU needs a junior “outbreak” year. Ooofff.
    yeah...i'd stay 6' away from covid jokes for the foreseeable future.
    1200. DDMF.

MSU game

Turns out the announcer is Jess Settles, a former Iowa player, who is a basketball analyst and farmer. I think he was trying to say “breakout” and got confused. He should do tractor commercials.

https://siouxcityjournal.com/busines...8d08acbe2.html

Watching Duke/MSU here, and Bilas has been very Duke positive thus far in regards to player description, calls, and general discussion.

I figure he gets so much grief when he criticizes our fellas, we should point out when he is complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Watching Duke/MSU here, and Bilas has been very Duke positive thus far in regards to player description, calls, and general discussion.

I figure he gets so much grief when he criticizes our fellas, we should point out when he is complimentary.
    That's because we were losing. If we were winning he would have immediately turned to negativity.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    That's because we were losing. If we were winning he would have immediately turned to negativity.
    This was the first ten minutes. When we were looking great.

Let's put it this way

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    At first there was something wrong with his microphone and I was hoping they wouldn't be able to fix it.

I thought Bilas was pretty good. He did refer to Baker as being Matthew Hurt a couple of times, and at one point said that MSU was limiting Duke to one shot and out immediately after we had just gotten an offensive rebound. But he didn't constantly harp on the officiating so that was a huge plus (a couple days ago I watched a few minutes of a non-Duke game that he was calling and he spent the entire time complaining about missed calls and such, so it's not just our games that he does this for).

In the Coppin State game, as much as I liked seeing Will Avery on the air I have to say he was pretty bad. Tons of dead air time between him and his broadcast partner. In fairness, having an empty arena must be a huge adjustment for them, they're accustomed to having the crowd to fill up space. But there was one play where Jalen Johnson stripped the point guard at the top of the key, then dove for the ball as it fell out of bounds. It was an amazing and exciting play that was met with silence. Totally reminded me of that scene from Major League when Bob Eucker passes out drunk and his partner has to pick up the call, and an outfielder makes a crazy diving catch and the announcer is just like "fly ball... caught."

It wasn't Bilas who mistook Baker for Hurt.

First game on my new pandemic TV, and the mute button works great.

i said it in the in game, and i'll say it here:

Bilas comparing the players to essential workers is an insult to essential workers. I'm sure my friends in the pulmonology department would love to educate him on what actual essential workers have to put up with.
    1200. DDMF.

I have

No idea what Jay Bilas did tonight. It sure wasn’t providing insight on the basketball game being played. This was not only a mailed in effort, but he was just flat out wrong on about 1/2 dozen obvious calls. And his bizarre rant at the end...oy.

It’s a really, really bad outing when jay can say to tv teddy, hold my beer...
    Windy City Devil

In the name of everything that is holy, I beg ESPN not to assign Jay Billis to another Duke game. He was truly intolerable tonight!

Jay did get a nice jab at Fester, though!

-jk

Yeah I thought Jay was quite bad tonight after a solid performance in the MSU game. In addition to the aforementioned rants (which I agree with the above posters), he suggested home court advantage in college and having fans is basically worthless?! Has he ever looked at the home/road records in conference? I thought he was a numbers guy...I was very tempted to mute but resorted I mostly tuning out. I think given it was so one sided in the second half, he was simply trying to fill airtime.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    No idea what Jay Bilas did tonight. It sure wasn’t providing insight on the basketball game being played.

And his bizarre rant at the end...oy.
    It’s comforting to know that regardless of the state of the sport or the country or the world, bellyaching about Bilas around here never ceases.

However, I had no issue with the points he made about the total lack of any foresight by the NCAA regarding the season (punting too much to the conferences), and the fact that the players are basically being used to generate revenue and having their non-basketball activities restricted for months so as not to compromise their availability.

And for those thinking the rant came out of nowhere and had no place during the game, they had just announced the cancellation of the MSU-Virginia game. Seemed like a significant announcement worth commenting on, whether you agreed or disagreed with his perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    It’s comforting to know that regardless of the state of the sport or the country or the world, bellyaching about Bilas around here never ceases.

However, I had no issue with the points he made about the total lack of any foresight by the NCAA regarding the season (punting too much to the conferences), and the fact that the players are basically being used to generate revenue and having their non-basketball activities restricted for months so as not to compromise their availability.

And for those thinking the rant came out of nowhere and had no place during the game, they had just announced the cancellation of the MSU-Virginia game. Seemed like a significant announcement worth commenting on, whether you agreed or disagreed with his perspective.
    Didn’t stay up to the very end, so missed the typical Bilas rant. His officiating was really bad in the 1st half (did the ACC Director of Officials let him know at halftime he missed so many calls?). Or will they suspend him for a game and put him on probation?

I actually think NCAA is trying to do this right. When in COVID doubt, games are being postponed or cancelled. Seems their goal is to protect players/staff and if there were no season, I suspect more players would be COVID positive. Lastly, I believe the vast majority of coaches and players want to play b-ball this winter.

And if Bilas hates the way the NCAA is conducting the season, he should put his wallet where his mouth is and personally boycott the games.

Thank you, I absolutely agree. This is not college or “amateur” basketball. The players are being exploited for money, pure and simple. The games look like scrimmages with no fans. You got to love America, we can’t put off one damn thing to try to get this virus under control. Wait until late spring then try to play a short season and have a tournament. Some will say it’s sour grapes because we’re not good right now (Coach K acknowledged as much), but it is an accurate reflection of what is going on. As far as Duke we will be fine. We’re a young team playing the best in the country right now. Jay may be pissing off ESPN by calling out this joke of a season, but I agree the block/ charge analysis was right on, but at least they were consistent.

Just the absolute strongest thing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post

I actually think NCAA is trying to do this right. When in COVID doubt, games are being postponed or cancelled. Seems their goal is to protect players/staff and if there were no season, I suspect more players would be COVID positive. Lastly, I believe the vast majority of coaches and players want to play b-ball this winter.

And if Bilas hates the way the NCAA is conducting the season, he should put his wallet where his mouth is and personally boycott the games.
    K and Capel pretty much agree with Bilas.

Why Basketball During Covid-19 Feels Wrong To Coach K

Capel Rips NCAA For Allowing Basketball Games