Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Game 4 was exceptional. So many back-and-forths (including a WS record 8 straight half innings with runs scored) and an incredible finish - kind of a shame that it was a comedy of errors instead of a clean finish, but incredible nonetheless.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I have to say, I think Kenley Jansen is basically unplayable at this point. I would not trust him in a 9th inning situation (or, really, any high leverage situation) from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I have to say, I think Kenley Jansen is basically unplayable at this point. I would not trust him in a 9th inning situation (or, really, any high leverage situation) from here on out.
    It really was just 2 bloop hits with a careful (and smart) pitch around in between, but I agree that Jansen is unreliable. But the problem the Dodgers have is that there isn’t anyone more reliable in their pen. Maybe Graterol? They need starters to go deeper to keep relievers out of high leverage spots.

Amazing game though

Game 4 was exceptional. So many back-and-forths (including a WS record 8 straight half innings with runs scored) and an incredible finish - kind of a shame that it was a comedy of errors instead of a clean finish, but incredible nonetheless.
    I have to say, with all the clean outs from analytical defense, it’s nice to see bloops and blunders making a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I have to say, with all the clean outs from analytical defense, it’s nice to see bloops and blunders making a difference.
    In 1946 the Cards beat the Red Sox in game 7 as Enos Slaughter scored from first on a hit-and-run, when Johnny Pesky supposedly held the ball. There is some controversy on what actually happened, but HOFer and future Duke coach Slaughter did run through a stop sign by the third base coach.

If this had been game 7, the misplays that ended the game would be its equal in baseball lore.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Of course, the Boston fans have to have their villain -- poor Pesky, poor Bill Buckner (1986)'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Jansen was one of the top 2-3 closers in MLB from 2015-2017. He has not been that pitcher in quite some time unfortunately.

I have to say, I think Kenley Jansen is basically unplayable at this point...
    Yep. I fully expect him to be in a Tiger's uniform soon.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    It really was just 2 bloop hits with a careful (and smart) pitch around in between, but I agree that Jansen is unreliable. But the problem the Dodgers have is that there isn’t anyone more reliable in their pen. Maybe Graterol? They need starters to go deeper to keep relievers out of high leverage spots.

Amazing game though
    He missed his target pretty bad on that last pitch. 1-2 should have been a pitch right down the middle. Catcher was calling for a high ball out of the strike zone.

Amazing game though
    He missed his target pretty bad on that last pitch. 1-2 should have been a pitch right down the middle. Catcher was calling for a high ball out of the strike zone.

Amazing game though
    Treinen was the answer tonight. Pretty dialed in. Says something when the game with the attempted steal of home feels normal and vanilla, but that's a testament to how crazy last night was.

Treinen was the answer tonight. Pretty dialed in. Says something when the game with the attempted steal of home feels normal and vanilla, but that's a testament to how crazy last night was.
    Having watched Treinen with the Nats it’s not a move I would have made, but it worked.

The steal of home attempt was great - I thought he was safe (though rules question - what happens if you tag someone’s helmet if it’s falling off them?), but I also thought he was out at third on the play before. The steal seemed like it was planned based on Kershaw’s long set from the stretch, but if so they should have had the runner from first break at the same time and they might have gotten Kershaw to throw over allowing the run to score.

I know ratings are way down but this has been a great WS to watch so far.

Having watched Treinen with the Nats it’s not a move I would have made, but it worked.

The steal of home attempt was great - I thought he was safe (though rules question - what happens if you tag someone’s helmet if it’s falling off them?), but I also thought he was out at third on the play before. The steal seemed like it was planned based on Kershaw’s long set from the stretch, but if so they should have had the runner from first break at the same time and they might have gotten Kershaw to throw over allowing the run to score.

I know ratings are way down but this has been a great WS to watch so far.
    I liked both calls - I thought the tag was inches before the left hand hit home, and although there may technically have been a millisecond when Turner had a tag applied and none of Margot’s body was touching third, that’s a safe call 100 times out of 100 before slow motion replay. If you can’t reasonably be expected to see tag and body off the base in real time (and there’s no real-time replay where he looked out), it shouldn’t be an out call.

...I know ratings are way down but this has been a great WS to watch so far.
    It has been a fine Series, agreed. Rare that I would be pulling for the NL team but after what the astro pulled on the Dodger, I'm all in for Clayton's ring. Plus a nickname like Mookie? Very baseball.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Yep. I fully expect him to be in a Tiger's uniform soon.
    you are so cruel...does Zimmerman's spot open up?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It has been a fine Series, agreed. Rare that I would be pulling for the NL team but after what the astro pulled on the Dodger, I'm all in for Clayton's ring. Plus a nickname like Mookie? Very baseball.
    There’s only one Mookie and that’s William Wilson of the Mets! All others are imitators.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Jansen was one of the top 2-3 closers in MLB from 2015-2017. He has not been that pitcher in quite some time unfortunately.
    I would say Jansen was one of the top closers in MLB from 2012-17. He hasn't been too bad since. He converted on 38 out of 42 save opportunities in 2018, then down to 33 out of 41 last year, and 11 out of 13 this year. He had one terrible outing this year when he gave up 5 ER on 0 IP. Take that out, as one bad night can really skew a reliever's ERA, and his ERA was under 1.50 on the year. Remember he's also had the heart issues in these years where, for example, he couldn't pitch at altitude.

The problem is that heading into postseason he had lost the feel for his best pitch, and he seems to be hit or miss in postseason, though he did have some bad luck in game 4. I think for the time being the Dodgers have lost confidence in him. Baez as the longtime setup man has really been struggling. It will be interesting to see what the Dodgers do next year with these roles.

I think Tampa made a big mistake pulling Snell when they did.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think Tampa made a big mistake pulling Snell when they did.
    As a Dodgers fan, I loved the move.

Rays manager is gonna get roasted big time for that move. What a gift. Snell was dominating the Dodgers into the 6th. Total overmanaging.

They’ve had nothing but trouble since the pitching change.

Well, the 32 year drought is over...