Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Jones' was much maligned at draft time because duke's play on the field was relatively terrible. People don't want to put up with that.
    I've tried to bring this up pretty much every time someone touts Jones' high draft pick as a sign that the program is doing well but it is generally either poorly received or entirely dismissed/ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've tried to bring this up pretty much every time someone touts Jones' high draft pick as a sign that the program is doing well but it is generally either poorly received or entirely dismissed/ignored.
    The Daniel Jones I've seen in NY is pretty much what I expected. Never understood his high draft status.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The Daniel Jones I've seen in NY is pretty much what I expected. Never understood his high draft status.
    he was pretty good last year. he's been terrible this year. The giants as a whole are also terrible. I haven't watched enough of the giants (i'm surprised any could!) this year to know to what degree he's been bad, and to what degree the team has been bad. His week 1 picks were atrocious, but he seems to have steadied on that front somewhat since. The CMP% is lower than you'd want, but again, the question is how close is he to the ceiling that anyone could play on that team? Dunno. He did have a 50 yard run this past sunday.
    1200. DDMF.

I would love to see Daniel Jones play behind a good offensive line. The Giants are terrible at protecting the QB. The NFC East is a cesspool.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    he was pretty good last year. he's been terrible this year. The giants as a whole are also terrible. I haven't watched enough of the giants (i'm surprised any could!) this year to know to what degree he's been bad, and to what degree the team has been bad. His week 1 picks were atrocious, but he seems to have steadied on that front somewhat since. The CMP% is lower than you'd want, but again, the question is how close is he to the ceiling that anyone could play on that team? Dunno. He did have a 50 yard run this past sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I would love to see Daniel Jones play behind a good offensive line. The Giants are terrible at protecting the QB. The NFC East is a cesspool.

GoDuke!
    I think Daniel is better than his stats. The O-line is clearly weak -- and the loss of Saquon Barkley would tragic for any team. He has made some great throws, especially to Darius Slayton and Golden Tate. And his running ability is definite plus for the team.

I look forward to better results the rest of the season -- or perhaps next year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I think Daniel is better than his stats. The O-line is clearly weak -- and the loss of Saquon Barkley would tragic for any team. He has made some great throws, especially to Darius Slayton and Golden Tate. And his running ability is definite plus for the team.

I look forward to better results the rest of the season -- or perhaps next year.
    Daniel also has a bad TE. Engram was supposed to really be good this season but he's played poorly. He's had several catchable passes that he didn't bring in. Daniel will be ok, at least his owner isn't Daniel Snyder.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Daniel absolutely needs to cut down on turnovers, both fumbles and interceptions. But considering his experience level and what he is working with, I believe he is playing well enough to project as a competent NFL starting QB.

That 80-yard run exhibited not only his top-end speed, but also his determination and competitiveness. He was trying so hard (too hard it turned out in the late stages of the run) to make a big play. What could he do with a healthy Saquon and even a half-decent O-line?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Daniel absolutely needs to cut down on turnovers, both fumbles and interceptions. But considering his experience level and what he is working with, I believe he is playing well enough to project as a competent NFL starting QB.

That 80-yard run exhibited not only his top-end speed, but also his determination and competitiveness. He was trying so hard (too hard it turned out in the late stages of the run) to make a big play. What could he do with a healthy Saquon and even a half-decent O-line?
    By and large, the post game analysis of the Giants' (typical) meltdown is favorable towards Jones...a catch by Engram would have won the game, in the absence of Barkley, Jones is the primary running thread, and Gannett today called him a star on the rise...

I have a sneaky suspicion that Duke won't lose this week!

I have a sneaky suspicion that Duke won't lose this week!
    My liver is thrilled with the bye week.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'm not buying Covid as a valid excuse for Duke. Didn't we play a couple games before UVA played any, and they beat us nonetheless...I don't see any of our losses being to teams that had a less difficult time with Covid. Heck, VA Tech was missing something like 20 players when we played them, and that wasn't enough for a Duke win.
    I guess I missed the mark in my emphasis here...it was about the example Duke set in its decision making, that may have longer lasting impact on its teams than one would think. There's always a first person to charge the enemy and a first person to head the other way...whose followers are probably tougher?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I guess I missed the mark in my emphasis here...it was about the example Duke set in its decision making, that may have longer lasting impact on its teams than one would think. There's always a first person to charge the enemy and a first person to head the other way...whose followers are probably tougher?
    I think Duke handled things pretty well, judging by the relatively few cases on campus...I would think that this is a net positive for the football team...sure didn't help Va Tech to have 20 guys out against us (though they won anyway).
    Anyway, discretion is the better part of valor, as they say!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think Duke handled things pretty well, judging by the relatively few cases on campus...I would think that this is a net positive for the football team...sure didn't help Va Tech to have 20 guys out against us (though they won anyway).
    Anyway, discretion is the better part of valor, as they say!
    fair enough...but if you hadn't known it was called COVID, would you even notice it on a college campus against the backdrop of flu season, the vibrance of college life, football, basketball, etc. etc? Existing safe comes at an opportunity cost. One that may last a lot longer than the symptoms, if any, the average college student, family member, fan would or will experience. Can't expect toughness of others while championing weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    fair enough...but if you hadn't known it was called COVID, would you even notice it on a college campus against the backdrop of flu season, the vibrance of college life, football, basketball, etc. etc? Existing safe comes at an opportunity cost. One that may last a lot longer than the symptoms, if any, the average college student, family member, fan would or will experience. Can't expect toughness of others while championing weakness.
    Do you think college students only have younger siblings?

What do you think is the average age of a season ticket holder in Cameron?

Do faculty and staff not exist?

What does "championing weakness" mean, exactly?