Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    To be fair to Chase, would he be having a better season if he had a normal summer offseason to practice and train with his new teammates? Moreover, would he be better next year with a spring camp and summer offseason, assuming Cut is back next season.
    From what I've witnessed, no.
    And that's a fine excuse to use for a game or two, but he's had plenty of games and practices under his belt to show that we should expect otherwise. The guy I've watched throw badly against State is the same guy I saw throw badly in game one.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    From what I've witnessed, no.
    And that's a fine excuse to use for a game or two, but he's had plenty of games and practices under his belt to show that we should expect otherwise. The guy I've watched throw badly against State is the same guy I saw throw badly in game one.
    Brice is pretty good when he's stationary, has time to set his feet, has an open receiver and is making an intermediate throw.

But that's a lot of qualifiers. He hasn't shown much ability to throw on the run, make accurate deep throws or read coverages. Some of his deep throws look like punts. If Cut is really the quarterback guru we've all made him out to be these should be correctable. Assuming Brice has the fundamental talent. Assuming

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Brice is pretty good when he's stationary, has time to set his feet, has an open receiver and is making an intermediate throw.

But that's a lot of qualifiers.
    I read that and thought about a kid playing T-Ball. "That boy sure can hit those homeruns!"

While I have faith in Cut's teaching ability, I just don't see Brice as someone that will change his ways. I'd have more confidence if we'd seen some improvement by now. Like you said, "assuming he has the fundamental talent", but the thing is, I do think he has that talent; he wouldn't be where he is now if he didn't. I simply don't think he has room to get better than where he is now.
    Here's an artist's analogy. I know several very talented artists, but some of those have not developed at all in the years that I've known them. I can look at one of their paintings they created yesterday and one they did 15 years ago and not see a difference. I don't know if they hit their wall or simply got stuck in their ways, but they don't push themselves to be better...and if they are pushing, they are simply not able to reach a higher plateau.
    Chase Brice in my eyes is one of those artists. If he were a freshman, I'd be more optimistic, but he's been playing this game at a high level for far too long for me to think differently.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Brice is an absolute disaster when trying to run to his left...and hopefully he learns, at some point, to find the opponents in coverage underneath before he makes those throws over the middle...he rarely seems to see those guys.
    Way too inconsistent for an offense which relies on a high completion percentage of relatively short passes.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Brice is an absolute disaster when trying to run to his left...and hopefully he learns, at some point, to find the opponents in coverage underneath before he makes those throws over the middle...he rarely seems to see those guys.
    Way too inconsistent for an offense which relies on a high completion percentage of relatively short passes.
    I have seen Brice throw the ball behind wide open receivers, over throw a wide open receiver where if he'd put a little air under the throw it would have been 6 points, seen him throw balls high that could have gotten the receiver injured and I'm yet to see him hit a receiver in stride(instead of throwing it behind him). When you consider his poor decisions on the field, it makes you wonder if he's a division 1 QB.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I have seen Brice throw the ball behind wide open receivers, over throw a wide open receiver where if he'd put a little air under the throw it would have been 6 points, seen him throw balls high that could have gotten the receiver injured and I'm yet to see him hit a receiver in stride(instead of throwing it behind him). When you consider his poor decisions on the field, it makes you wonder if he's a division 1 QB.

GoDuke!
    Well, the team has two weeks until a Halloween match-up with Charlotte. I expect there will be a real change in the offense, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunnar on the field much of the game. Yeah, I know Cutcliffe has totally endorsed Chase Brice, but you have to give 100 percent support to your quarterback. That is, until you decide to make a change.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post

GoDuke!
    It's very disappointing that, given Cut's reputation as a QB coach, we've had such poor QB play the last two years. Attribute it to whatever you want, (coaching, recruiting, development) but one would think we could do much better.

It's very disappointing that, given Cut's reputation as a QB coach, we've had such poor QB play the last two years. Attribute it to whatever you want, (coaching, recruiting, development) but one would think we could do much better.
    that's a bit of a fallacy...like saying "despite K's reputation as a basketball coach, we've had down years and players who had lackluster careers"
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    that's a bit of a fallacy...like saying "despite K's reputation as a basketball coach, we've had down years and players who had lackluster careers"
    I see no parallel whatsoever.

I see no parallel whatsoever.
    coach A is great at B and therefore his athletes should succeed at it every time or else it is a shortcoming of the coach.

It's even more tenuous when you're depending on individual athletes succeeding rather than a team as a whole.
    1200. DDMF.

coach A is great at B and therefore his athletes should succeed at it every time or else it is a shortcoming of the coach.

It's even more tenuous when you're depending on individual athletes succeeding rather than a team as a whole.
    Don't forget, recruiting is also part of the job.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Don't forget, recruiting is also part of the job.
    no doubt.

Ha, no one said "every time," that's a straw man. I did say that for two years in a row, we've had two QBs who are simply bad...despite the fact that we've had years to groom QBs in the program...that we have no one on the bench better than Brice is unfortunate, at least to me.

Ha, no one said "every time," that's a straw man. I did say that for two years in a row, we've had two QBs who are simply bad...despite the fact that we've had years to groom QBs in the program...that we have no one on the bench better than Brice is unfortunate, at least to me.
    ...and that with a Head Coach known as a "Quarterback Whisperer" who understands and can teach the position very well.

Puzzling, actually.

**I note as I look at some previous posts that budwom has been saying the same.

I’d like to see the kids on the bench given a chance to prove they’re no better than the current starter.

Hope Chase gets better. Daniel Jones does not play on a quality team, but he has not been that sharp in the NFL thus far. He has the size and athleticism, but is not that great in the decision making department.

Duke needs to recover from this poor executing offense. It starts with the QB. Brice has to get his act together.

No Jones Effect

I am still shocked that the Daniel Jones story -- walk-on with no real D1 offers transformed into a top pick in NFL draft -- combined with the Manning success did not yield any highly-rated QB recruits. You get a Duke degree (think media after your pro career, a jump several of our grads have made) and a good chance to develop into a pro QB. If Jones could do it with no recruiting buzz, what could a 5 star do here? Alas, the empty stadiums seem to have had a counterbalancing effect.

Is there a place to get advanced college football stats. I would love to see the percentage of passes that go +20 yards in the air during Cuts tenure. I would also like to compare that to top 25 programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymf7 View Post
    I am still shocked that the Daniel Jones story -- walk-on with no real D1 offers transformed into a top pick in NFL draft -- combined with the Manning success did not yield any highly-rated QB recruits. You get a Duke degree (think media after your pro career, a jump several of our grads have made) and a good chance to develop into a pro QB. If Jones could do it with no recruiting buzz, what could a 5 star do here? Alas, the empty stadiums seem to have had a counterbalancing effect.
    Jones' was much maligned at draft time because duke's play on the field was relatively terrible. People don't want to put up with that.
    1200. DDMF.

jones' was much maligned at draft time because duke's play on the field was relatively terrible. People don't want to put up with that.

a m e n ,!!!!!