Page 1597 of 3369 FirstFirst ... 59710971497154715871595159615971598159916071647169720972597 ... LastLast
Results 31,921 to 31,940 of 67370
    rain, thunder, book, shepherd's pie.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    rain, thunder, book, shepherd's pie.
    In that order?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    In that order?

-jk
    in fact, yes! Though there will be a cocktail hour on tap shortly, preceding the shepherd's pie.

now throw in some hail, nice bouncy hail.

now throw in some hail, nice bouncy hail.
    Fun times. They don't tend to work well as ice cubes.

High 90s the rest of the week.

^ high in the low 40s today.

There isn't much accreditation a contractor has to have to remodel a pool. Bonkers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    There isn't much accreditation a contractor has to have to remodel a pool. Bonkers to me.
    As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now for the rest of the story..."

Do tell!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    As Paul Harvey used to say, "And now for the rest of the story..."

Do tell!

-jk
    Hah. No story to tell...yet. Getting estimates for some pool remodeling. We knew when we bought our house a a few years ago, the pool plumbing would need some work and the liner replaced. It was already limping along on 1 skimmer and the liner was pretty shot, past expiration. The owners had to make some other major repairs and we wanted the house enough to compromise on the pool fixes.

Anyway, two different estimates with two different remodel approaches - one says to fix the main drain, the other says its not necessary and many pool installers aren't doing them now. I have a manual pool vacuum and any time we need to drain the thing, it'll be done with a service company sump so other than filtering, I'm not sure I see the reason for a drain...and doing that much digging adds $$ to the job.

Anyway, apparently you don't need much in terms of credentials to be a pool builder/contractor...surprising.

years ago when I was in banking, a client hired some guy to empty her pool for the winter (I don't know if they do that these days or not). Anyway, I guess the pool sat on something of a slope (though presumably it was level) and the guy drained the water on the uphill side of the pool in such a way that it actually lifted the pool partially out of the ground, water liking to run downhill and all.

Then it was a race to the bank between the guy who did the work (looking to cash the check) and the homeowner who was not amused and wanted to stop payment. Ugly scene.

The house we bought ten years ago had a nice in-ground pool. Cost us an arm and a leg to maintain. When the time came to spend $25k on a new liner, we took the easy opportunity to have it collapsed.

Here in Asheville you only get about three months of use anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The house we bought ten years ago had a nice in-ground pool. Cost us an arm and a leg to maintain. When the time came to spend $25k on a new liner, we took the easy opportunity to have it collapsed.

Here in Asheville you only get about three months of use anyway.
    yeah, some folks around here have pools, but the season is silly short. Quite a scene though a few years ago when one of our neighbor's horses fell in her pool. It went in the pool way easier than it came out, I can tell you that.

Y’all are not easing my mind! 😂

yeah, some folks around here have pools, but the season is silly short. Quite a scene though a few years ago when one of our neighbor's horses fell in her pool. It went in the pool way easier than it came out, I can tell you that.
    It wasn’t Mr. Ed was it?

Pools are a six figure event here. Definitely why I don't have one. If you amortize that over how many times you use it...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Pools are a six figure event here. Definitely why I don't have one. If you amortize that over how many times you use it...
    Whoa. Really? I'd say you can expect to pay between $25K and $50K to install a brand new, in-ground pool here...with most basic models coming in on the low end and highly waterfall-ed versions coming in on the high end.

We definitely weren't looking for a pool but the house we ended up liking had one.

It wasn’t Mr. Ed was it?
    No, it didn't talk a whole lot, but there was a lot of braying...took our adept Animal Control officer and several of her best minions to get the horse out of the pool. Not long thereafter, the horse threw my neighbor (in the equine sense) and nearly killed her. Horse isn't around any more.

No, it didn't talk a whole lot, but there was a lot of braying...took our adept Animal Control officer and several of her best minions to get the horse out of the pool. Not long thereafter, the horse threw my neighbor (in the equine sense) and nearly killed her. Horse isn't around any more.
    Wow. Might not be Mr Ed but I’d watch that horse’s show.

Wow. Might not be Mr Ed but I’d watch that horse’s show.
    The neighbors are VERY fond of alcohol, and as the cops are wont to say, that has been a factor in most of their miscues which tend towards the spectacular...