2020 go away -- Eddie Van Halen RIP

damn, sad. An incredibly gifted and innovative guitarist, passed away at 65 after fighting cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    damn, sad. An incredibly gifted and innovative guitarist, passed away at 65 after fighting cancer.
    Damn, the 2020 curse continues!

I never was a big fan of his music (he sold a lot of vinyl), but the man was one of the best guitarist of his generation. Any band would have been lucky to have him!

Son of a ...

2020 is no longer amusing.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Horrible news - so sad. 1984 was a major part of the soundtrack of my youth. Such a talented musician.

Well, hell.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Not my favorite song by any means, but if you focus on the guitar riff it's hard to argue that he isn't one of the greatest guitarists of our generation.

Last edited by Rich; 10-06-2020 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Not my favorite song by any means, but if you focus on the guitar riff it's hard to argue that he isn't one of the greatest guitarists of our generation.

He was an amazing guitarist, and not to take anything away from his guitar work on that song, but if you listen just to the drums it's a phenomenal riff. Can't imagine how hard it was to keep that up through the entire song.

Eddie will be missed, for sure. Now he and Randy Rhodes can jam together and compare riffs.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    He was an amazing guitarist, and not to take anything away from his guitar work on that song, but if you listen just to the drums it's a phenomenal riff. Can't imagine how hard it was to keep that up through the entire song.

Eddie will be missed, for sure. Now he and Randy Rhodes can jam together and compare riffs.
    LOL, might as well also give credit to David Lee Roth for figuring out how to add vocals to that craziness!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

A part of my childhood died along with Eddie when I heard the news.

Beyond sad. I know what I will be listening to tonight.

Rest in peace, Eddie Van Halen.
    You were a musical genius whose influence on music lives on.

My favorite guitarist. I played countless hours of “Guitar Hero: Van Halen” when it came out.

I saw VH in concert in Greensboro in 2012. With DLR. they absolutely delivered and I’ll forever appreciate being able to experience that.

Quote Originally Posted by jjredickrules View Post
    My favorite guitarist. I played countless hours of “Guitar Hero: Van Halen” when it came out.

I saw VH in concert in Greensboro in 2012. With DLR. they absolutely delivered and I’ll forever appreciate being able to experience that.
    I got to see them back in 91/92 on the "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" tour. Great show, great time, great talent.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I got to see them back in 91/92 on the "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" tour. Great show, great time, great talent.
    That is a very funny name for a tour but I wonder if they thought through all the things that fall under that umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    That is a very funny name for a tour but I wonder if they thought through all the things that fall under that umbrella.
    Well, it was the title of their 1991 Album and tour. It was all over posters, T-shirts, stickers, etc. So, if anything, they embraced it. I actually had the Tour T-shirt for a few years. I think I remember trading it for a tie-dye Grateful Dead tour shirt. Ah, youth...