Page 19 of 166 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I've been given an assignment! My daughter, a senior in H.S. , wants to do an art project that has to do with a post-apocalyptic world. She wants to watch some movies to give her some inspiration. She has tasked me to choose the movies. So I need some suggestions. If we were watching one Mad Max, which one? The Road? Waterworld? Planet of the Apes? Come on guys, help me out here.

Remember, nothing about the actual apocalypse, just the aftermath...
    Can you give a bit more in terms of criteria? Are you going for something that feels realistic or something entertaining? Do you want fun or sobering? There are a million possibilities...

In addition to obvious ones like the Mad Max films, there are some truly excellent pictures like Children of Men, Snowpiercer, 12 Monkeys, the original Planet of the Apes film and all three of the modern remakes, The Road, and perhaps the best of them all Wall*E.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Can you give a bit more in terms of criteria? Are you going for something that feels realistic or something entertaining? Do you want fun or sobering? There are a million possibilities...

In addition to obvious ones like the Mad Max films, there are some truly excellent pictures like Children of Men, Snowpiercer, 12 Monkeys, the original Planet of the Apes film and all three of the modern remakes, The Road, and perhaps the best of them all Wall*E.
    A few more...
    Soylent Green
    The Matrix
    Escape From New York
    28 Days Later
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I've been given an assignment! My daughter, a senior in H.S. , wants to do an art project that has to do with a post-apocalyptic world. She wants to watch some movies to give her some inspiration. She has tasked me to choose the movies. So I need some suggestions. If we were watching one Mad Max, which one? The Road? Waterworld? Planet of the Apes? Come on guys, help me out here.

Remember, nothing about the actual apocalypse, just the aftermath...
    The Jetsons and The Flintstones.
    Last edited by wilson; 10-06-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Waterworld?
    If you're going with post-apocalyptic Kevin Costner, The Postman works, too. How much money did that film lose just a couple years after Waterworld actually made money?

I'll have to work on getting more criteria. It sounds like she just wants some ideas on how the world "could" look after something devastating. We are going for visuals here, since it's a visual art project. I was contemplating a Mad Max film for one extreme. Thought about I am Legend because I love what they did with a city that has been empty for ~3 years. I don't remember a lot of the visuals from Children of Men, I may have to re-watch it myself. If I recall, The Road was pretty gritty but realistic.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    A few more...
    Escape From New York
    EscapeFromNY.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    If you're going with post-apocalyptic Kevin Costner, The Postman works, too. How much money did that film lose just a couple years after Waterworld actually made money?
    From Wiki -

Produced on an estimated $80 million budget, it returned less than $21 million.

Ouch...
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

I'll have to work on getting more criteria. It sounds like she just wants some ideas on how the world "could" look after something devastating. We are going for visuals here, since it's a visual art project. I was contemplating a Mad Max film for one extreme. Thought about I am Legend because I love what they did with a city that has been empty for ~3 years. I don't remember a lot of the visuals from Children of Men, I may have to re-watch it myself. If I recall, The Road was pretty gritty but realistic.
    A Quiet Place
    Zombieland
    Cloverfield/Cloverfield Lane
    Oblivion
    This Is the End

Wall-E, The Matrix and Snowpiercer are probably the best.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    Oblivion
    Ooh. I forgot about this one. Hmm.?.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Again, A Boy and His Dog. Like I said, if she's doing this for artistic visuals, it is so beyond what we've come to know from Mad Max and Company. Even if she doesn't watch the whole movie, check out the last half of it. (Won't make much sense then, but it will fit the need of the project.) My guess is that most of the projects that her classmates put together will be heavy on MM imagery. This is a way she can stand out.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Again, A Boy and His Dog. Like I said, if she's doing this for artistic visuals, it is so beyond what we've come to know from Mad Max and Company. Even if she doesn't watch the whole movie, check out the last half of it. (Won't make much sense then, but it will fit the need of the project.) My guess is that most of the projects that her classmates put together will be heavy on MM imagery. This is a way she can stand out.
    Interestingly enough, she was just told to choose a "theme" for a small portfolio of works and she came up with "Post-Apocalyptic Vibes". So I'm pretty sure there probably won't be any others doing the same.

It's on the list and I'll let her watch the trailer and see if she's interested. I'll share your take on it...

Interestingly enough, she was just told to choose a "theme" for a small portfolio of works and she came up with "Post-Apocalyptic Vibes". So I'm pretty sure there probably won't be any others doing the same.

It's on the list and I'll let her watch the trailer and see if she's interested. I'll share your take on it...
    I think her art teacher is awesome.

By the way, while it's not post apocalyptic, my high school art teacher had us watch Blade Runner. In class. Uncensored. (Even after getting a BFA, my high school teacher was the most influential on me throughout my whole art career, still to this day. He taught me to see differently.)

If she is looking for a visual aesthetic and wants it to relate to the world we know -- as opposed to turning everything into a desert wasteland -- then I Am Legend is a great choice.

I just thought of another. Not nearly as interesting as I Am Legend but Book of Eli is certainly a post-apocalyptic landscape.

From Wiki -

Produced on an estimated $80 million budget, it returned less than $21 million.

Ouch...
    I guess the post-apocalyptic part was after the film was made.

There's also The Bird Box.

abd.jpg

(That might not be accurate)

Here’s my list:

Logan’s Run
    No Blade of Grass
    Blade Runner
    On the Beach
    Soylent Green
    A Boy and his Dog
    Planet of the Apes

The serious ones have been mentioned.
    If she wants corny: Night of the Comet

Ok, I may need to get a HBO Max subscription:

The "special appearances" list is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    If you haven't, check our Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix. I found it incredibly amusing. Definitely borders on raunchy in some spots, but also quite witty.

(If you hate it, don't judge me)
    Looks like it has been cancelled after just the one season. We are enjoying it more as the season goes along...

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Looks like it has been cancelled after just the one season. We are enjoying it more as the season goes along...
    We've finished about 4 episodes. I'm enjoying it. Mrs. Nrrrrvous might be getting bored with it.