Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am not sure what folks expected. This team did not practice much and clearly is not ready to compete in a decent conference. This was Duke’s easiest game but it would have better as the first game and not the second as this was their first game. Such is life in Covid football.
    Why is that an excuse for Duke but not any of the other teams? I don't buy it.

All I know is Navy beat Tulane with a game winning field goal as time expires.
    Congratulations Bob.

#GUNNERTIME

I am not sure what folks expected. This team did not practice much and clearly is not ready to compete in a decent conference. This was Duke’s easiest game but it would have better as the first game and not the second as this was their first game. Such is life in Covid football.
    I think our competitive showing at Notre Dame gave many (myself included) the idea that we could show up at home and not embarrass ourselves.

Duke football, where there are no consequences for losing. We will try harder next time.
    That should be our motto.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    4 turnovers is not going to win you many games...sigh.
    I believe it was five. Plus a missed field goal and extra point.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Why is that an excuse for Duke but not any of the other teams? I don't buy it.
    My understanding is that Duke was among the last schools to bring athletes back for practice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I believe it was five. Plus a missed field goal and extra point.
    Great, Bob...that's even more "encouraging" 😉.

The new look 2020 Cutcliffe offense looks eerily similar to the hapless 2019 Roper offense. Few if any playmakers, unimaginative (and in fact predictable red zone) playcalling. There are simply not going to be many wins for this team.
    Glad I didn't attend this one.

Since beating Georgia Tech last fall Duke has lost 7 of 8 and been outscored 264 to 103.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The new look 2020 Cutcliffe offense looks eerily similar to the hapless 2019 Roper offense. Few if any playmakers, unimaginative (and in fact predictable red zone) playcalling. There are simply not going to be many wins for this team.
    Glad I didn't attend this one.
    Was there supposed to be a "new look" offense this year? Cut always does bland coachspeak, so it wouldn't be surprising if the offense is more of the same this year.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Was there supposed to be a "new look" offense this year? Cut always does bland coachspeak, so it wouldn't be surprising if the offense is more of the same this year.
    Well, he did essentially demote his number one assistant, offensive coordinator Roper, to take over the play calling himself, so to that extent I expected something different (and he clearly hinted at that*), but I was wrong. I'm glad I retain extremely limited expectations.

* comments to the effect of "we're going to be looking at doing some different things", etc, etc, etc, but truly coachspeak as you note.

My understanding is that Duke was among the last schools to bring athletes back for practice
    I do think that is true. For all athletes. I remember reading at some point this summer, that every team in the ACC had brought football players back except Duke and UVa.

This season is now in real danger of getting away from us.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We expected more from the team that showed up against ND last week.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    A most disappointing performance by Chase Brice. One more
    week then it’s time for Gunnar or Chris to have a chance to lead
    us.
    Why wait? He showed today why he was second string before transferring - has zero touch, missed wide open receivers, and can’t run. Rinse and repeat - why wait? Develop a quarterback for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by szstark View Post
    Why wait? He showed today why he was second string before transferring - has zero touch, missed wide open receivers, and can’t run. Rinse and repeat - why wait? Develop a quarterback for the future.
    I don't think either of our QBs has any more eligibility remaining than Chase. Katrenick couldn't take the starting job from Harris (Gunnar was injured I believe), which is arguably worse than not being able to take the starting job from Trevor Lawrence.

Jim’s recap:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...fe-chase-brice

I’m deflated right now but next week is next week.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I don't think either of our QBs has any more eligibility remaining than Chase. Katrenick couldn't take the starting job from Harris (Gunnar was injured I believe), which is arguably worse than not being able to take the starting job from Trevor Lawrence.
    Counting this season Chase Brice and Chris Katrenick have two years of eligibility. Gunnar Holmberg has three. Presumed 2020 redshirt Luca Diamont has four.

No question Brice struggled today. But due to COVID-19 he was unable to do any work with his new team until pretty late in the process. He and his receivers and backs and linemen are doing getting-to-know-you stuff in games that in ordinary years would have been done over the summer. That's a tough recipe. I'm a long way from ready to write him off.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Counting this season Chase Brice and Chris Katrenick have two years of eligibility. Gunnar Holmberg has three. Presumed 2020 redshirt Luca Diamont has four.

No question Brice struggled today. But due to COVID-19 he was unable to do any work with his new team until pretty late in the process. He and his receivers and backs and linemen are doing getting-to-know-you stuff in games that in ordinary years would have been done over the summer. That's a tough recipe. I'm a long way from ready to write him off.
    Oh wow, with all the COVID stuff I had completely forgotten about Luca joining us this year. Thanks for the reminder (he was considered a pretty strong get when we landed him).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim’s recap:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...fe-chase-brice

I’m deflated right now but next week is next week.
    Great writeup as usual from Jim.

Eagles had the ball for 36:18 to Duke’s 23:42.
    That is really bad TOP.