Page 1482 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 482982138214321472148014811482148314841492153215821982 ... LastLast
Results 29,621 to 29,640 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

D9 Americana Ren Faire Heather Ale

Settling in for PGA coverage after Homeboy’s 72 (currently T4 with another round tomorrow). I’m not sure I have had a “heather ale” before (despite a Locklear crush in the mid 80’s, but that’s another story). Nice golden color. Minimal head. A smidge sour. Brewed with honey and heather, and 8% ABV. Dangerously sippable at that gravity. Upper end of Cat 2. Not worth a trip to Cornelius, but worth grabbing if you see it in a bottle shop.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

Settling in for PGA coverage after Homeboy’s 72 (currently T4 with another round tomorrow). I’m not sure I have had a “heather ale” before (despite a Locklear crush in the mid 80’s, but that’s another story). Nice golden color. Minimal head. A smidge sour. Brewed with honey and heather, and 8% ABV. Dangerously sippable at that gravity. Upper end of Cat 2. Not worth a trip to Cornelius, but worth grabbing if you see it in a bottle shop.
    I could have sworn Highland Gaelic had heather in it. Not noted on their website.

I’ve had a couple beers with heather as an ingredient. Not recalling their names offhand.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Rumor has it our host for the Virtual Pub on Saturday will be doing some beer-hunting later today; not just crazietalk. Therefore, in the interest of public service, here's a list of 100 from which you can hopefully make your selections:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/top-styles/159/

Of course, I've learned from looking at these sometimes silly lists that you *might* only be able to find 5-10 of these at any of your local stores, whether it be Total Wine or a specialty shop.
    #17 and #44 should be in the fridge in approximately 30 minutes - thanks to curbside pickup for our grocery order. Hoping to participate for the first time, schedule permitting.

Uh huh. I think it’s just that you and devildeac are the same person ...
    But wait, are you going to be in town?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    No need to insult devildeac like that!
    You're a nice fellow. We'll call it a draw.

But wait, are you going to be in town?
    A town. 😂
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    #17 and #44 should be in the fridge in approximately 30 minutes - thanks to curbside pickup for our grocery order. Hoping to participate for the first time, schedule permitting.
    Some fine choices.

You can participate by either posting those reviews (short, long, whatever you'd like) sometime on Saturday (or Friday; or Sunday) or joining us in a Zoom session if fuse is kind enough to set one up again; or both options. The "regulars" will drift in and out of Ymm, Beer all afternoon (with one poster in particular who likes to start in the AM), with the host usually handing the keys over to RJ199 late that night so he can lock up the place about 200 AM. Pretty casual stuff and the discussions are light-hearted and fun (as opposed to silly nonsense) and I think all of us learn a thing or three about local brews and others from out of state.

New Glarus Belgian Red is everything a cherry beer ought to be.

Dessert in a glass personified.

Skol! 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post

Skol! 🍻
    I never stop smiling when I read someone else's comments on a NG fruit beer.

On the road again. Looking to be thirsty at the end of the journey.

Photon Sphere - Imperial Stout - Olde Hickory - 11.9 % - BBA with honey, cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa, and habanero

Jet black pour.

It smells like good hot chocolate. It tastes like good hot cocoa as well, with the emphasis on both hot and cocoa. I love it, and it's not too much habanero heat for me. But I inlcuded this one in recent trader to devildeac and fuse. Now I'm thinking it maybe was a little hotter than I remembered. It's not bad, but definitely enough habanero on the finish to know it's there.

This is an outstanding beer and the flavors all balance perfectly - first cocoa, then bourbon, vanilla, honey, definitely a little cinnamon, with the prickly habanero heat on the finish. Good thick mouthfeel too.

Low Category 3 for me - it's the flavors I like in a stout.

House shook in Wake County a few minutes ago.

Apparently there was a 5.1 earthquake in Salisbury, NC.

Everybody ok?

I’m now wondering how many people have experienced a hurricane and an earthquake within a week. 🤔😬
    Funny you should ask! August 23, 2011 Richmond had a 5.8 earthquake, (I remember I was on Cary street and the shop I was in the windows were bowing in and out, I thought they were going to explode) Followed by Hurricane Irene blowing through town on the 29th. Facebook was all lit up with "I survived Hurriquake week!" memes.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Back in RVA this evening after a quick trip across the state.

Yesterday I had a Lemon-Lime Gose from Twin Creeks Brewery (Vinton, VA) while Mrs. Nrrrrvous enjoyed their Kolsch which is one of the better of that style that we've had.

This was after a walk of about a mile to two on the Roanoke River, so quite refreshing.

The Lemon-Lime Gose was exactly what you would expect, take a Sprite and mix it with a nice fresh, crisp golden ale? Subtract the extra sugar from the Sprite? It was very good on a sunny afternoon. Easy Cat 2 for me.

IMG_7877_cr.jpg
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

This afternoon I tried a Good Vibes Gose from O'Connor Brewing out of Norfolk

IMG_7899_cr.jpg

Pineapple, Orange and Guava Sour!

Mmm. Delish!
    5% ABV
    9 IBU

Tart, Crisp, Fruity! Loved it!

All I've had from O'Connor prior was the El Guapo Agave IPA which I remember enjoying. So they are now 2 for 2 on my list.

Skol! 🍻
    I need!

Congrats on Homeboy's 72! What an awesome Sunday of golf.

Worth a repeat for night #2:

ÜberQuench'l (draft)-Heist Brewing

Sorta local.

Credit-new tap at Bottle Rev on FrIPAday afternoon and a good price on my wife's plastic currency
    Format-mini growler divided over 2 nights
    Style-NEDIPA
    Stemware-large wine glass
    Appearance-thick and juicy; lotsa foam
    Nose-pineapple, grapefruit and orange juices
    Mouthfeel-moderate bite
    Tastes-pureed/liquified tropical and citrus fruit salads
    Hops-Citra and Galaxy; double dry hopped (DDH)
    IBU-probably under 50
    ABV-8.2% and silly sippable
    Overall impression-happy to have enough for another serving tonight
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; not as good as Neon God (likely not many are); I'd buy this again and it's "little brother" CitraQuench'l which I've never had
    ÜberQuench'l (draft)-Heist Brewing

What was different for the second pint on the second night? The foam topping was a bit less prominent and the juiciness *perhaps* a bit more subdued. Otherwise, keeping the remainder refrigerated and tightly capped with a good quality rubber-sealed, swing-top container appeared to affect the quality minimally.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Photon Sphere - Imperial Stout - Olde Hickory - 11.9 % - BBA with honey, cinnamon, vanilla, cocoa, and habanero

Jet black pour.

It smells like good hot chocolate. It tastes like good hot cocoa as well, with the emphasis on both hot and cocoa. I love it, and it's not too much habanero heat for me. But I inlcuded this one in recent trader to devildeac and fuse. Now I'm thinking it maybe was a little hotter than I remembered. It's not bad, but definitely enough habanero on the finish to know it's there.

This is an outstanding beer and the flavors all balance perfectly - first cocoa, then bourbon, vanilla, honey, definitely a little cinnamon, with the prickly habanero heat on the finish. Good thick mouthfeel too.

Low Category 3 for me - it's the flavors I like in a stout.
    If the 2020 version is as balanced as the 2019 version (COVID not withstanding), it'll likely be a cat 3 beer for me, too. I think I'll wait a while (month or two) before drinking this high octane "heater."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    This afternoon I tried a Good Vibes Gose from O'Connor Brewing out of Norfolk

IMG_7899_cr.jpg

Pineapple, Orange and Guava Sour!

Mmm. Delish!
    5% ABV
    9 IBU

Tart, Crisp, Fruity! Loved it!

All I've had from O'Connor prior was the El Guapo Agave IPA which I remember enjoying. So they are now 2 for 2 on my list.
    I think the only brews I've had from O'Connor have been those Bob Green has brought to a tailgate in maybe 2018 and/or 2019. Good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    I need!
    I'll try. Headed to Chicago late August. Will try to make a beer run to Pleasant Prairie, WI one afternoon and pick up a generous assortment of New Glarus beers.